Thread: Pentax 67 Gas!
View Single Post

Old 06-02-2010   #7
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintoid View Post
I recently traded in my Mamiya 6 for a Pentax 67ii with AE prism and 90mm lens and am pretty happy. The 90mm lens is compact and light, and has a lovely signature. Of course, compact and light doesn't mean much when the body and prism weigh so much. Everything feels wonderful, from the solid body to the smoothness of the focusing. Close focus is 0.65m, which I use a lot. The viewfinder is big and bright, and there are no problems acquiring focus. I'm growing to like 6x7 format too.

I shoot handheld only, and have achieved satisfactory sharpness (for me) on at least one shot at 1/25 s, so the mirror slap issue has been a red herring. What has been more of a problem has been the weight. It's heavy to carry around. Once raised to the face, it handles brilliantly, but I have to say that when shooting in portrait orientation, I think my hands are less steady than they might be, so I tend to opt for landscape orientation.

I'm verging on ecstatic. This is a wonderful camera. The only other criticism is the max 1/30 s flash sync with most lenses, but I don't use flash.

That setup that you have is the exact one that interests me and it sounds like you're very happy with it!

As much as I like my RF645 I'm tending to see less point in the 6x4.5 negative these days so I think the Bronica may go to fund a Pentax because of this ... between it and a Hassy I should have medium format covered.

What did the Pentax setup cost you incidentally? ... I would hope that my RF645 with 65mm and 100mm lenses would cover the cost or a possible trade for someone who wants to venture into RF land with MF and a lighter camera than the 6x7 SLR.