View Single Post

Am I paranoid about getting scammed here????
Old 10-30-2005   #1
clogwog

Am I paranoid about getting scammed here????

I bid and won on a leica lens on EEbay last tuesday no 7556394520

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....B:EOIBSA:AU:31

Here is a copy about the email correspondence we have had since. Am I just paranoid or is there something going on here???

Ps I have altered some of the personal details to protect privacy, but the rest is as send.

The first email is the one I send after winning the item. The correspondece that follows should be read from bottom to top for history.

Gerrit

Ist message:
Begin forwarded message:

Date: 25 October 2005 8:04:45 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: leica summicron-m 50mm f2 silver

I have bought this of you; please advise me of shipping cost (including insurance), payment methods, payment details and your address for verification. Thanks

Gerrit van Dijk
xx Macdonald St
Paddington, NSW 2021
0xxx xxxxxx

The rest from bottom up:

Date: 31 October 2005 12:12:14 PM
To: John Larson <[email protected]
Subject: Still Waiting for response

John

Still haven't heard again from you. Please respond urgently so I don't have to assume that you are what you say you are not!!!

thank you

gerrit

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 28 October 2005 10:45:37 AM
Cc: Fiona Landreth <[email protected]
Subject: Fwd: Waiting for response

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 28 October 2005 10:41:04 AM
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Fwd: Waiting for response

John Larson,

You wrote on 27 October 2005 at 7.02pm.

'Hello
I'm registered ebay user and I entered my private information to ebay such as credit
card and bank account, wire transfer is recorded with bank connected to my company.
So you are protected by ebay policy and bank finansial system. I'm honest ebay user and
I'm not going to scam anybody.
Please, e-mail me the payment process details.
Thank you'

IN NO WAY AM I SUGGESTING THAT YOU ARE NOT HONEST OR INTEND TO SCAM ME.

I am merely protecting myself from being scammed by anyone. The details you provided to ebay are between you and ebay, I can not get access to them. Ebay protection does not exist or is not adequate. Ebay says 'Buyer Beware' and suggest using approved escrow services.

Although the wire transfer will be recorded by your bank this does not protect me in anyway. Nor does the 'bank financial system'. I'm not quite sure how an account in the name of 'Miss Olga Klimentieva (Savings Account)' can be connected to your company.

I do note that you haven't responded to my requests made in the email send on 26 october 2005 (which is attached underneath)and that you work for/own a company. The 'common sense' precautions that I require for this transaction to proceed should therefore not bother you.

As I do not expect you to send this lens to me in 'good faith' and hope/trust that I will pay you for it, so should you not expect me to send you $973 into someone's bank account in the hope/trust you will send me my lens 'a couple of days' later. To do so would be naive in the extreme.

I request that;

- You send me verifiable address/identity details and exactly matching bank account details.

or

- Accept an ebay approved escrow service like www.escrowaustralia.com.au

or

- Accept payment via PayPal with my creditcard.

I also remind you that we have a legally binding contract of sale. And whilst I do not whish to infer any fraud on your behalf, I will report any fraudulent behaviour to both ebay and the police.

Hope we can soon finalize our deal to a mutually satisfactory outcome.

Regards

Gerrit van Dijk

'I'm registered ebay user and I entered my private information to ebay such as credit
card and bank account, wire transfer is recorded with bank connected to my company.
So you are protected by ebay policy and bank finansial system. I'm honest ebay user and
I'm not going to scam anybody.
Please, e-mail me the payment process details.
Thank you'

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 27 October 2005 1:17:25 PM
To: John Larson <[email protected]>
Subject: Waiting for response

Dear John,

I am still waiting on your response to my email send to yesterday, which is included underneath

thanx gerrit
Begin forwarded message:

Date: 26 October 2005 10:05:36 AM
Subject: Re: Congratulation!!! You are the winner.

I have bought this of you; I will need to know your physical address (that is verifiable!!) and will only deposit into a bank account that is yours and exactly matched to your identity.

Alternatively I can pay via Pay pal( credit card) or would consider an approved escrow service (and will accept part of the cost for this)like ebay approved www.escrowaustralia.com.au .

As you are new to ebay, have a (0)rating, have a hotmail email-address and not a ISP email, have not provided me with an checkable address as requested in yesterdays email I do feel the need to prudent and cautious about depositing $973,- into another persons bank account(whom I don't know either), which after deposit is un-retrievable for goods I cannot verify.

As I am recent to ebay myself I hope that you can appreciate my caution and hope you will respond soon so I can pay you safely and recieve my new lens

thanx
Gerrit

Gerrit van Dijk
xxx Macdonald St
Paddington, NSW 2021
041x xxx xxx

Shipping Address

Gerrit van Dijk
xx Macdonald St
Paddington, NSW 2021
04xx xxxx xxxx

On 25/10/2005, at 8:55 AM, John Larson wrote:

Hello.

Shipping is $12 via FedEx.
Total price is $973 (include shipping).

Please do bank wire transfer to :

Name: Commonwealth Bank
Account Name: Miss Olga Klimentieva (Savings Account)
BSB Number: 062 xxx
Account Number: 103xxxxx
Swift Code (if needed): CTBAAU2S

Item will be shipped no earlier than in a business week,
we must register insurance from damages while shipping and withdraw the funds.
Please, reply to this e-mail with your shipping address.
Thank you.

__________________________________________________ _______________
View 1000s of pictures, profiles and more now at Lavalife http://lavalife.com.au