View Single Post

Old 05-21-2019   #83
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
I'm still wondering about the OP's definition of emotionally supportive, if they just mean people saying "good job" and "you're doing great" or what? I feel like that sort of thing disappeared a lot of places when social media took over, and the need to always be "witty" and glib and sarcastic poisoned conversation. Sites like twitter and tumblr killed a lot of art forums, since the potential to reach much larger audiences outweighed the value of more intimate, helpful, feedback from a smaller circle of people who shared common interests. Now years later I see a lot of people complaining they have nobody to talk to, even when they have ten of thousands of people following their accounts...
By emotional support, I don't mean saying congratulatory things like that. I had a basic idea of its definition, but it looks like doctors define it in different ways:

http://peersforprogress.org/pfp_blog...ional-support/
Quote:
There is little consensus on how to define or operationalize emotional support. Some researchers have defined emotional support to include the provision of care, empathy, love and trust (Langford et al., 1996) while others have emphasized expressions of encouragement, active listening, reflection, and reassurance (Dale, Williams & Bowyer, 2012). Moreover, some researchers have characterized emotional support as reciprocal interactions of “mutual obligation” while others have characterized it as solely a subjective perception of feeling accepted loved and respected (Langford et al., 1996). We are thereby left wondering: does emotional support include care and love? Or is it based on encouragement and listening? Is it related to a sense of community? Or is it based on subjective perception?
For examples, I'd point to all of those self-help articles like: