Thread: Capa
View Single Post

Old 02-26-2019   #58
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
Here's a hypothetical:
Capa took many more photographs and the public affairs bureau of the allied forces only liked 10 of them. At the time, the allies were in their fourth full year of all out war, on a global scale. People were rationing and many were going hungry, especially after the previous decade of the depression. So perhaps what Capa could have photographed were hundreds of soldiers dead in the surf and sand but between the supreme allied commander, the public affairs division and the actual publishers, it was judged that seeing a flotilla of corpses would have been horrible for already low morale. I'm just talking from having been the public affairs guy in my unit. I had to think about those things and then had to get my images cleared through my CO then 1MARDIV PAO in order to get my photos out on the wire.
Capa could have even been given the directive to stay away from shooting images of too many casualties because the mothers at home don't want to see their sons in the current issue of Life before the chaplain has knocked on the door.
Phil Forrest
The US Army censors did not allow photos of dead troops to be published till quite late in the war - September 1943, I believe, when photos of dead US soldiers on the beach at Buna in New Guinea were published. They were very touchy about this for the reasons you suggest.

http://time.com/3524493/the-photo-th...na-beach-1943/