Thread: Capa
View Single Post

Old 02-28-2019   #79
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
That it is told to have happened only once in the whole rather busy career of Capa (and subsequentcally in all other war photographers') and with a terrible bad luck just for those D-Day photos doesn't really play in favor of this theory. Serious historians don't despise statistics to help making their mind up.

I have closely seen the "Mexican suitcase" negatives with my own eyes. How clean such late 1930s negatives still hold today is unbelievable (but all true). Although their processing then storage condition were probably the worst ever...

"Serious historians don't despise statistics to help making their mind up."

Yep, and serious historians don't despise evidence either......... And all the evidence states that all the people present at the time said it happened exactly the way history records it to have happened. Not the way some writer who is writing almost 80 years later says it might have happened based largely (it seems to me) on little more than speculation that since it was a rare event it could not have happened.

"I have closely seen the "Mexican suitcase" negatives with my own eyes. How clean such late 1930s negatives still hold today is unbelievable"

Yep, I suppose we should presume the negatives were never placed in an overly hot drying cabinet.