View Single Post

Old 12-26-2018   #10
roscoetuff

To me, OP should define the specifics they like about XTOL. I would assume sharpness, and possibly eco-friendly, etc. But frankly, from what I've seen, there is no developer that is so much better than others that is not affected equally by your choice of film and choice of technique as well. You can get seriously impressive results from a whole lot of combinations, but the best use of your time is to improve shooting technique and eliminate variables.

Biggest improvement in technique in my case was picking up a Jobo. While this chooses a particular type of agitation, it also narrows choices in suitable developers. I've made lots of mistakes and even attempted to use Replenished XTOL in a JOBO - which in a word.... increases the likelihood of XTOL-failure from oxidization. XTOL is nice, but my enthusiasm for it waned, and after speaking with the USA Jobo reps (Cat Labs JP), I tried Bergger's Berspeed and have been very pleased with the results using Ilford Delta 400 at box speed.

Your mileage may vary.

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams