Thread: Capa
View Single Post

Old 03-02-2019   #39
peterm1

I am kind of bemused by certain people raising the fact that a young fellow from Budapest named Andre Friedman took the working name "Robert Capa" who in time became a celebrity (showing perhaps just how wise he was to have done so). In which case I have to ask them what is their point? ...................... other perhaps than to subliminally suggest he is therefore sneaky and untrustworthy. But of course back in the day that is often what people did either to have a more marketable moniker - to make them sound less like the poor ordinary everyday shlub (albeit with good looks) they really were, or to downplay their ethnic origins. Just like film stars who changed their names for the stage and screen and who played roles, Friedman played a role too - he played the role of Robert Capa.

Here are a just a tiny few other celebrities who did the same and I have to ask those folk - were these people sneaky and untrustworthy too......?

Marilyn Monroe (Norma Jeane Mortenson)
Alan Alda (Alphonso Joseph D'Abruzzo)
John Wayne (Marion Robert Morrison )
Rock Hudson (Roy Harold Scherer, Jr. )
Cary Grant (Archibald Alexander Leach )
etc.

And not a few Jewish celebrities back then and in the post war era also changed their names, just as Friedman did, and for much the same reason no doubt. Though I have to say being a Jew working on Germany in the 1930's Friedman arguably had better and more urgent reasons than most.

Woody Allen (Allan Stewart Konigsberg)
Lauren Bacall (Betty Joan Perske)
Lorne Green (Chaim Grun)
Jerry Lewis (Joseph Levitch)
Gene wilder (Jerome Silberman)
And about a zillion other people.

In short this was not remarkable then and it is not remarkable now. So why do a few people keep remarking on it?