View Single Post

Old 03-10-2008   #25
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

My recommendation would be to get a nice cheap fixed lens rangefinder (Konica auto s2, Olympus 35LC or SP or RD, Minolta 7s2) and take all that money and burn through some serious film. That's the only way, I think, that PJs felt free, they just burned thorugh film like it was there own sweat. I think there's a lot to be said about being free and some of these cameras offer comparable image quality and function to your leica, but freeing you up to buy lots of film and to also throw your camera at your friend and not worry about the expense when it breaks his face. I'm just kidding about that, I think your friend is on to something worth thinking about!

Actually those RFs above are not "cheap" in the fixed-lens universe. But they're not leica expensive either.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.