Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Photo Software

Photo Software Discussions of all the photo software - except scanning software which is in the forum with scanners.

Old 06-19-2017   #81
Nowhereman
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
...The main Silver Efex functions I am unable to replicate in LR are Dynamic Brightness and Amplify Whites/Blacks. I find them very valuable, used in moderation, of course...
John - These are the same functions that I cannot replicate in LR or Photoshop. In addition, the Silver Efex Structure functions is also quite different in effect from the LR Clarity slider, apart from being able to be applied to specific tonal ranges.

Old 06-19-2017   #82
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
This would be ideal, but the reason it's never going to be open-sourced is because the underlying technology is used in Snapseed - the mobile image-editing software that was Google's original target for the entire purchase.

Ironically, Google hoped that they could somehow build a 'social community' around Snapseed to rival Instagram (which Facebook had recently acquired at the time), and since this hasn't happened, my bet is that they'll just abandon Snapseed as well at some time in the future. Yet another innovative product that'll end-up on the trash-heap of strategic corporate acquisitions.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. Aaaargh!

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-19-2017   #83
Ronald M

A few years back, I was contacted by Google to see if more improvements were required to improve their recent purchase of the software.

Evidently the survey indicated no further development was required.

Old 06-25-2017   #84
Joe Crumley

Geees, I'm with Larry on this one. We aren't wanting something for nothing. It's only reasonable to expect paying for updates. But that's not what we ended up with.

I'm turning big time Sour on Google when, at one time, I thought they were on my side.
There's no reason they have to lose money on this product!

Old 06-25-2017   #85
jamin-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Crumley View Post
Geees, I'm with Larry on this one. We aren't wanting something for nothing. It's only reasonable to expect paying for updates. But that's not what we ended up with.

I'm turning big time Sour on Google when, at one time, I thought they were on my side.
There's no reason they have to lose money on this product!
Their original corporate motto "do no evil" got left by the wayside years ago. The big disrupter new way of doing business have grown into classic monopolies with a deep penetration into people's private lives. Bullies with a multi-billion dollar budget to pursue their hidden agendas.
I'm sure the good folks Americans sent to Washington to represent them are taking care of it though...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Old 06-26-2017   #86
tom.w.bn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin-b View Post
Their original corporate motto "do no evil" got left by the wayside years ago. The big disrupter new way of doing business have grown into classic monopolies with a deep penetration into people's private lives. Bullies with a multi-billion dollar budget to pursue their hidden agendas.
I'm sure the good folks Americans sent to Washington to represent them are taking care of it though...
I don't know how people come to the conclusion that they have the right to claim unlimited maintenance of a software. No software company has to offer that. As long as they don't actively shut down your software they are not responsible if over the years your software environment changes and the software does not run anymore.

If your business relies on a software running long term, you normally pay a yearly maintenance fee on your initial purchase just to ensure that your software is up to date...or you rent it.

Old 06-26-2017   #87
tom.w.bn

I think Google was only interested in the U-Point technology that was part of the Nik tools and was patented. It's an essential part of all tools so making the software open source is kind of a problem.