Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Kodak Retina RF

Kodak Retina RF This forum is for the 35mm Kodak Retinas, known for their German engineering, relatively modest price and superb lenses.

Review: Kodak Retina Automatic III (1961)
Old 06-19-2017   #1
eckmanmj

Review: Kodak Retina Automatic III (1961)

The Kodak Retina III was the third, and most feature rich in the Kodak Retina Automatic series. The series would represent both a first and a last for the Retina. It was the first to have auto exposure, and would be the last "true" Retina built by Kodak AG with metal bodies and a high build quality. After the Retina Automatic series was discontinued, the Retina would appear once again in the late sixties as the Retina S1 and S2 which were cheap plastic point and shoot cameras bearing little resemblance to the previous models.

If the thought of a well built Retina with a huge viewfinder, a quality Schneider Retina-Xenon lens, and a huge viewfinder sounds promising, check out the rest of my review to learn more about the camera and see some sample shots I got with mine.

http://www.mikeeckman.com/2017/06/ko...type-039-1961/

(Yes, I am aware that sometimes my site shows up as suspicious with Avast! and some other anti-virus programs. This is a result of a problem with how my site is hosted, and not a result of any actual security issue with the site. I promise, you can ignore any security issues with my site.)

Old 06-19-2017   #2
johnf04

That was an interesting read, and I followed the link to your Retina IIc review. I noted your comment about LV exposure systems. Other manufacturers fitted this in the early 1960s. I have a Yashica M with this type of exposure system, and it looks unused.

Old 06-19-2017   #3
Dralowid
Michael

Yes, interesting, I always liked the later Retinas.

Also interested to see that you have used one of my pictures in your Certo Dollina review...

Old 06-21-2017   #4
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
Yes, interesting, I always liked the later Retinas.

Also interested to see that you have used one of my pictures in your Certo Dollina review...
Yes, it was the image from your father's camera. You gave me permission to use it when I first wrote it in early 2015. If you would like me to remove it, just let me know!