Leica M6, strange holes in negative
Old 09-29-2017   #1
grduser

Leica M6, strange holes in negative

Hi guys, just picked up an M6, after couple test rolls I noticed some unsightly patterned dots burned into two of the negatives.

It's only happened twice so far and although the pattern is the same in both photos, the positioning is different. Every other exposure is fine, no streaking or holes and speeds seem on, so I'm hesitant to send it in for CLA.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Old 09-29-2017   #2
santino
eXpect me

Same Film? Doesn't look like a Camera malfunction to me...

Old 09-29-2017   #3
Blaidd_Drwgg

Are these physical holes in the negative or unexposed patterns? Are these on one kind of film or on different brands? Also, did you develop yourself?

To me they look like the patterns of residue some kinds of tape leave or like something studded touched the film during development.

I will be interested in what this is going to turn out to be.

Old 09-29-2017   #4
grduser

The two exposures come from two different rolls, but both rolls are expired trix. The dog frame was the last of the roll #36, and the girl is #21.

They aren't physical holes in the negative, looks to be unexposed spots on the film, but I'm no expert. Film was developed at home by myself. 6 and a half minutes in stock D76. I'm not sure what could have gone wrong during development that wouldn't have affected the other exposures?

Old 09-29-2017   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

If shutter has holes it will be white on scanned negatives. Not dark ones.

It looks like not related to camera pattern to me. I have patterns on dirt cheap Polypan F, but it is at every frame.

Here is something else going on at the first frame and it looks like very sloppy developing work. Or damaged film.

Old 09-29-2017   #6
Corran

Fresh rolls from a 100' bulk roll? Looks like what I have gotten from tape residue on new bulk rolls if I shoot the first foot of film after removing the tape holding it together.

Old 09-29-2017   #7
grduser

Are you talking about the edges of the first shot? Yes the film was damaged when I took it off the spool, so I don't think that has any relation to the patterned holes. I'm starting to think it could be the film though, those were the last two of leftover film I had lying around though so can't really test them again. I guess I'll shoot some more and see if it comes up again and report back.

Old 09-29-2017   #8
sepiareverb
genius and moron

My gut reaction is to suspect the film not the camera, but am at a loss as to what those marks could be from. Static marks can look sorta like this, and be in patterns - but I've never seen static marks be this dark - and can't see that happening twice on two rolls so identically.

I wonder if we could move all similar threads into a "negative development marks & problems" sticky?

Old 09-29-2017   #9
Huss

I like the second shot, great framing.

Old 09-30-2017   #10
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Don't some cameras have this dot grid textured pattern on the pressure plate? Not sure how it would affect the emulsion, however.

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 09-30-2017   #11
plummerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Don't some cameras have this dot grid textured pattern on the pressure plate? Not sure how it would affect the emulsion, however.
My M6 pressure plate is completely smooth.

Old 10-04-2017   #12
grduser

So I shot two rolls of film, one trix and one hp5. Neither rolls have any frames with the grid pattern holes. Im going to keep an eye out for it in the future though and report back if it pops up again.

Old 10-04-2017   #13
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Yes, some pressure plates do have the dots in them, never seen it on an M6 tho. Could have been some static charge in the holes of the pressure plate if it has them?

Old 10-04-2017   #14
f16sunshine

I've only seen pressure plate reflection with films lacking a halation layer.
Tri-x would not be a suspect.
Back before I owned digital, I used to use a Konica S2 for Rollei IR400 film.
I would tape some 120 backing paper over the pressure plate to keep from getting a "waffle" pattern on the negatives.
That pattern does very much resemble the effect you are experiencing OP but, it seems unlikely to be the same reason.

Old 10-04-2017   #15
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
I've only seen pressure plate reflection with films lacking a halation layer.
Tri-x would not be a suspect.
That makes sense. I've only had static marks once, on a roll of Tri-X as it happens, but in 1983 or 4. They were in a similar pattern, across two or three frames IIRC. Pentax LX, with a dimpled pressure plate. I've not seen it since, and I ran a TON more film through that camera in much dryer places than the NY apartment that it happened in (which had no carpeting).

As luck would have it I was out on a job with both LX bodies and all three of my lenses when junkies broke in through the living room window of that 6th floor walk-up by tying a rope to a vent pipe on the roof and swinging over the edge and through the window. My roommate lost a lot of nice guitars, and our stereo and answering machine were taken.

Old 10-04-2017   #16
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

You added those oval outlines, right? They are not part of the problem, only the dots?

Were you wearing a band-aid while handling the film? The pattern reminds me of the perforations in a band-aid.

Old 10-08-2017   #17
grduser

Got through another roll of tri-x, all exposures are free of the pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
You added those oval outlines, right? They are not part of the problem, only the dots?

Were you wearing a band-aid while handling the film? The pattern reminds me of the perforations in a band-aid.
Lol no band aid on while handling the film. And yes the ovals were added to outline the patterns.