Leica M6 spring in spool help
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Captain Kidd

Leica M6 spring in spool help

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help, I was just putting a new roll in my Leica m6 and noticed a spring in the inside of my camera spool that I can’t recall ever seeing before, is this normal, I’ve attached a picture, has anyone else got this spring it seems odd or have I just never noticed this before,

Thanks for any help,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C866B801-DF07-4162-AA37-E17B8D653858.jpg (20.0 KB, 48 views)

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Captain Kidd

I can see online that the spring is in there, but from what I see online the spring is generally quite neat down the bottom, would that be right, I’m basically watching film loading instructions to try get a glimpse, mine reaches up the spool about half way, any idea what function the spring has and if something is now wrong with my camera? I’m worried that it may have been further down and why I haven’t noticed it before and now somehow it’s stretch a little.

Thanks

Last edited by Captain Kidd : 3 Weeks Ago at 08:19. Reason: Typo

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
a.noctilux

Nothing wrong with the spring.

It's there to hold the film leader when you load with film, so it would not go further inside.
When you close the base plate, the tulip shape will engage in the base plate to hold firmer the film leader.
Film leader will be held by the spring and the engaged roller in "tulip".

This is from M4 of 1967 "rapid loading system", no change in M6/MP/M-A that I have.

spring not shown, let's imagine on top of the film leader to help placing sprockets

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Captain Kidd

Thanks I really appreciate the reply, I’m surprised I never paid much attention to it before, it’s why all of a sudden I’m thinking maybe it’s loose or at lease should be more down the tulip spool. Very difficult finding pictures online to compare. So this is just to keep the film in place, I’m worried that it has something to do with the winder for winding on the film.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Tim Gray

The spring on my M6 extends about halfway down the tulip.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
trisberg

Here is a picture of mine, looks about the same

-Thomas

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Richard G

I still don't understand the precise roll of the spring in the quick load system.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
raydm6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
I still don't understand the precise roll of the spring in the quick load system.
Agree, I can't exactly figure it out. I'm going to guess it's to keep tension on the film leader against the rotating wheel on the base-plate as exposed frames accumulate in the chamber?

http://attemptsat35mm.com/how-to-loa...rrectly-video/

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
David Hughes
David Hughes

I can remember my first reaction to it when I got my M6; I think the problem is that it doesn't look Leica-ish being too lightweight...

Anyway, regardless of looks, it works and that's all we should/need worry about.

Regards, David

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
a.noctilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post

Richard, next time you load your M,
try to put the film leader not on the spring, but at it's side if there is room for that (some M have room, other not),

you'll understand it's role.

How I know that ...
In a hurry, I load without taking care to the spring (so the film leader fell at it's side), and the sprockets didn't hook in the film holes.
When I reload after that "flaw loading" I saw the film was not pushed in place by the spring.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
Captain Kidd

Thank you everyone for your replies, all have been a great relief to read, David, I think you are right about the un Leica-ish look the spring has. I must have loaded over 100 rolls and that spring never stood out like it did to me yesterday, It just looked out of place. Glad this is normal, and I’ve nothing to worry about. Thanks again everyone

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
Captain Kidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisberg View Post
Here is a picture of mine, looks about the same

-Thomas
And thanks Trisberg for taking the picture and uploading, a great relief to see this is normal... unless we both have a problem