Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

I made a meter cover for my Canon 7
Old 02-06-2020   #1
comp_wiz101
Compulsive Tinkerer

I made a meter cover for my Canon 7

Dear me, it's been a while since I've posted. I'm baaaack!

One of the toys I've picked up since the last time I've been around is a cheap 3D printer.

I don't really like having selenium meters running all the time when a camera is on the shelf, so I designed a cover that lightly fits over the meter housing - even added a little loop if you want to have the cap retained by a string. Sure beats using some sticky gaffer tape.

Anyways, if you have a 3D printer, feel free to download and print your own... and if you don't, there's some printing houses you can order your own through. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4148768

Edit: Someone asked me on FB about this so I figured I'd mention it here - apparently, some people would like to buy some from me. If there's enough interest, I may run up a batch!

Evidence of my RF sickness:
Pacemaker Speed Graphic 4x5 w/ Ektar 127mm f/4.7 - Zorki-1C - Zorki 3 w/50mm Jupiter-8 f/2 - Zorki 4K w/ 54mm Industar-61L/D f/2.8 - Zorki C w/ 50mm Industar-22 f/3.5 - LTM Jupiter-12 35mm f/2.8 - Voigtlander Vitomatic II w/ 50mm Skopar f/2.8 - Argus C3 w/ 50mm Cintar f/3.5 - Yashica Electro 35 GT w/ 45mm Yashinon DX f/1.7 - Kodak Retina IIC w/f 50mm 2.8 Retina Xenar - Retina C Mount 35mm Curtar f/5.6 - Balda Baldessa 35 w/45mm Isco-Gottingen f/2.8

Last edited by comp_wiz101 : 02-06-2020 at 22:07. Reason: Added note at bottom

Old 02-06-2020   #2
peterm1

Terrific, great idea. I love it.
But it does rather make it look just a tiny bit like a pirate.

Old 02-06-2020   #3
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

What about the rangefinder patch? Maybe there is in updated version coming?

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 02-07-2020   #4
retinax

Sweet! I simply keep mine in a bag or cabinet most of the time.
If you're at making gadgets for the Canon 7, have you thought about making an accessory shoe? Now that would be something I'd want.

Old 02-07-2020   #5
comp_wiz101
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
If you're at making gadgets for the Canon 7, have you thought about making an accessory shoe? Now that would be something I'd want.
I have mine out on a display shelf, so...

I've thought about the accessory shoe, yeah. Having looked at the original accessory, I've been thinking it may be a bit ambitious for my skills at the moment though. I have considered a "mini shoe" that only ties to the flash bayonet though... hmmmm

Pacemaker Speed Graphic 4x5 w/ Ektar 127mm f/4.7 - Zorki-1C - Zorki 3 w/50mm Jupiter-8 f/2 - Zorki 4K w/ 54mm Industar-61L/D f/2.8 - Zorki C w/ 50mm Industar-22 f/3.5 - LTM Jupiter-12 35mm f/2.8 - Voigtlander Vitomatic II w/ 50mm Skopar f/2.8 - Argus C3 w/ 50mm Cintar f/3.5 - Yashica Electro 35 GT w/ 45mm Yashinon DX f/1.7 - Kodak Retina IIC w/f 50mm 2.8 Retina Xenar - Retina C Mount 35mm Curtar f/5.6 - Balda Baldessa 35 w/45mm Isco-Gottingen f/2.8

Old 02-07-2020   #6
CarrotRoom

Nice. I was working on that for mine but had some design issues and life's just been too busy to finish it off.
What material did you use?

"The fascinating moment which you wish to preserve for ever in a photo disappears as quickly as it comes; you must be prepared . It is not enough for you to know what this lever or that knob does, you must learn to handle your camera as instinctively as the pianist find his notes" Voigtländer Manual 1933

Various (too many?) Voigtländer film cameras and other old junk
Olympus Pen-F Digital

https://carrotroom.wordpress.com/

Old 02-07-2020   #7
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp_wiz101 View Post
I have mine out on a display shelf, so...

I've thought about the accessory shoe, yeah. Having looked at the original accessory, I've been thinking it may be a bit ambitious for my skills at the moment though. I have considered a "mini shoe" that only ties to the flash bayonet though... hmmmm

It could attach to the flash bayonet, and when attached, rest above the rewind crank and have some sort of feet that rest on the top plate around the rewind crank. It would need to be slightly flexible if it's just one piece.

Old 02-07-2020   #8
comp_wiz101
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrotRoom View Post
Nice. I was working on that for mine but had some design issues and life's just been too busy to finish it off.
What material did you use?
The cover? Just some black PLA. Threw it together with Tinkercad, some real training wheels stuff

My first print was actually just a simple square, but I didn't like the extra corner fouling on bigger lenses

Old 02-07-2020   #9
comp_wiz101
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
It could attach to the flash bayonet, and when attached, rest above the rewind crank and have some sort of feet that rest on the top plate around the rewind crank. It would need to be slightly flexible if it's just one piece.
Yeah, I was thinking something like that. I'd probably start by modelling the bayonet and then going from there.

Old 02-07-2020   #10
charjohncarter

Don't you just love it when some comes up with something that should have been thought of 60 years ago.

EDIT: My only remaining Selenium cell camera is a Petri 7s. It has a lens cap that covers the cell. It still work perfectly, so you may be on to something.

Old 02-08-2020   #11
davhill
Canon P

Quote:
The cover? Just some black PLA. Threw it together with Tinkercad, some real training wheels stuff

My first print was actually just a simple square [rectangle], but I didn't like the extra corner fouling on bigger lenses

How’s it attached? Adhesive? Or is there a third dimension to it we can’t see?

Old 02-08-2020   #12
comp_wiz101
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhill View Post
How’s it attached? Adhesive? Or is there a third dimension to it we can’t see?
The metering cell sticks out from the front of the camera, so the cap is a gentle friction fit over its frame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metering Cell 2.jpg (81.4 KB, 25 views)

Old 02-08-2020   #13
davhill
Canon P

Quote:
The metering cell sticks out from the front of the camera, so the cap is a gentle friction fit over its frame
Ahhh. NOW. It’s clear. Superb.
I almost wish I had a 7, just for this 🤣

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
paperino

Tks a lot for the idea, I just did one buy a printing house, very useful!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
twvancamp
Thom

Looks great! Maybe we need a thread for 3D printed accessories?

Your modeling skills are streets ahead of mine, but I enjoyed learning some of the software when I made this adapter for my Oly35rc. This camera has a totally inaccessible aperture ring, so I designed this rough little tab.

Old 1 Week Ago   #16
comp_wiz101
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
This fine individual has beat me to it! https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4217097/ (They also made their own meter cover, but I won't judge )

Old 1 Week Ago   #17
retinax

Well I've simply stuck a shoe from a donor camera to my top plate with double sided tape, still beats that thing in elegance and practicality

Old 1 Week Ago   #18
comp_wiz101
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
Well I've simply stuck a shoe from a donor camera to my top plate with double sided tape, still beats that thing in elegance and practicality
I rather like that it manages to duplicate how the original accessory holds the shoe, but doesn't cover up anything on the top deck. It pops on and off pretty easily too.

Old 1 Week Ago   #19
retinax

Quote:
I rather like that it manages to duplicate how the original accessory holds the shoe, but doesn't cover up anything on the top deck. It pops on and off pretty easily too.
Looks to me like it does cover the meter readout. If I accept that, I can even position my stuck on shoe very conveniently, right now it's in front of the frameline selector... It is not that secure of course, I'd be worried about my finder if carrying the camera a longer time. So it's cool someone designed it, I might get one printed at some point!

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
comp_wiz101
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
Looks to me like it does cover the meter readout. If I accept that, I can even position my stuck on shoe very conveniently, right now it's in front of the frameline selector... It is not that secure of course, I'd be worried about my finder if carrying the camera a longer time. So it's cool someone designed it, I might get one printed at some point!
Here you go - I took a quick snapshot of mine to show the view from up top:

Having the finder in the shoe does tend to block the window - a fault shared with the original:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ngminchai/5799579195

I suppose it wouldn't be *too* difficult to add a shoe to the area on nearer the rewind crank - so long as you aren't worried about parallax

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
retinax

I see, that's a decent solution! I've never used the built in meter anyway, I just like the idea of having it at my disposal, mine seems to read close enough... But indeed I'm not that worried about horizontal parallax. We get used to it with built in finders anyway, and I prefer not having to squish my nose.