Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 05-16-2019   #81
Corran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
Instax is a red herring. There are no less than a dozen Fujifilm Instax cameras on Shopgoodwill.com at any one time.
https://www.fujifilm.com/innovation/...ements/instax/

"In 2015, Fujifilm sold over 5 million units of the instant camera"

So the dozen available on Goodwill's auction site means...what exactly, compared to millions and millions sold?

Old 05-16-2019   #82
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post

So the dozen available on Goodwill's auction site means...what exactly, compared to millions and millions sold?
It means there are far more charity shops than just Goodwill that have Instax cameras in their bins. It also means that the somewhat unreliable cameras may break and the user may never come back to them after they throw it away. Add to that the fact that Instax doesn't go into ANY currently existing traditional film camera, so saying that it is film is a red herring at best. There is an emulsion, yes; which needs to be coated in a film production lab, yes. But the commonalities stop there. You can't now nor could you ever put Polaroid or FP100c into a film camera without the proper accessory back, if available.
So if Fujifilm keeps selling Instax, good for them, maybe they can funnel some that money over into keeping traditional film production going, and hopefully bring out some new or reissue old emulsions, not gut their catalog as has been done.
Phil Forrest

Old 05-16-2019   #83
jsrockit

I’m am glad for instax as a proud Fuji digital customer. I liked their film but haven’t shot film in 5 years maybe. Oh well, the digital work flow allows me to be a efficient amateur. What limited time I have needs to be used making photos, not wrestling with film. I learned on film... learned color on Fuji. But if they stop making all of their films, someone else will make something else. I don’t get my feelings hurt as long as someone is making something I can use to do the photography I like.

Old 05-16-2019   #84
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I'm still finding Kodak C-41 to be very different and more pleasing than digital. Well, maybe Ricoh GRII and III. And some of Olympus .
But Fuji... you really have to learn a lot to get decent color from its film.

Old 05-16-2019   #85
Corran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
So if Fujifilm keeps selling Instax, good for them, maybe they can funnel some that money over into keeping traditional film production going, and hopefully bring out some new or reissue old emulsions, not gut their catalog as has been done.
Phil Forrest
Well I agree with that.

I still don't get your point otherwise. A few Instax cameras in charity shops, so what. I know a lot of folks shooting them exclusively and have eschewed their phones (anecdotal, but no more so than seeing a few at Goodwill). They are selling well and that's what I see.

And yes, I wouldn't mind seeing FP100 or preferably 3000B come back.

Old 05-16-2019   #86
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Well I agree with that.

I still don't get your point otherwise. A few Instax cameras in charity shops, so what. I know a lot of folks shooting them exclusively and have eschewed their phones (anecdotal, but no more so than seeing a few at Goodwill). They are selling well and that's what I see.

And yes, I wouldn't mind seeing FP100 or preferably 3000B come back.

It must be something kincky.

Those instaxes are collecting dust everywhere, almost at any store. Yet, I have seen people using these cameras in public maybe four times in ten years. I walked this week from customer site to go station and all I have seen was DSLRs... Predominately in hands of younger people...

Oh, wait. I'm in Canada. Most of the time, if you want instax outside here, you have to sit on it before it hatches.

Old 05-16-2019   #87
Corran

I see lots of Instax prints on Instagram - taken with their phone!
I hardly see DSLRs out and about. Phones everywhere.
From my perspective, phones have not only destroyed the P&S market, but also the low-end DSLR market. Other than photo hobbyists, there is no reason to bother. Phones will get a better image for most because it's simple and just makes a photograph without a bewildering number of dials, menus, etc.

Old 05-16-2019   #88
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Followed by you logic, nobody should buy instax, because it have next to zero quality.

DSLRS have green box. Press one button, picture is taken. But it is not about simplicity of taking picture. It is how simple it is to dump it on the net. Phone will facepuke it instantly.

Old 05-16-2019   #89
Corran

There are many different market segments.
Parents snapping photos of their kids? iPhone. Younger generations interested in travel / physical prints they can hold? Instax. It's quite an ingenious system - convenience of digital + instant "Polaroid" just like the "old days." Hint: they don't care about "quality." That's for the old camera enthusiasts.
I'm sure we can cue the "hipster" name-calling soon.

Old 05-16-2019   #90
Huss

Quote:
There are many different market segments.
Parents snapping photos of their kids? iPhone. Younger generations interested in travel / physical prints they can hold? Instax. It's quite an ingenious system - convenience of digital + instant "Polaroid" just like the "old days." Hint: they don't care about "quality." That's for the old camera enthusiasts.
I'm sure we can cue the "hipster" name-calling soon.
Quality? What's that?
Robert Pirsig to the courtesy phone, Robert Pirsig..

Old 05-16-2019   #91
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Quality?........ Robert Pirsig..
Interesting and appropriate allusion to Robert Pirsig. That about sums it up, re: qualities of cameras, quality of life.

Anyway, nice one, Huss.

Old 05-17-2019   #92
Skiff

Quote:

In Fujifilm's last fiscal year, which ended 31th March 2019, they sold 10 (!!) million instax cameras.
Instax is now the most successful camera type, significantly surpasssing digital compact cameras, DSLRs and DSLMs in unit sales volume.
My local camera shop (brick and mortar store) told me they are selling thousands (!) of instax film packs each month. That helps them staying alive. Whereas digital cameras are sitting on the shelfs and gathering dust.
The drugstore chain shops here are meanwhile also selling instax film packs along to standard film.

Old 05-17-2019   #93
peterm1

The following is known as the Business Life Cycle Graph. It describes the fate of every market that exists........unless it can be extended by constant innovation (but eventually even that fails as the potential market becomes saturated)

Old 05-17-2019   #94
joe bosak

Yes, and by defining the market as "standalone cameras etc" rather than "photography" we exclude a few major innovations in photography from our picture (smart phones and instax for example) and we get the drop off at the end.

Old 05-17-2019   #95
NickTrop

The entire capitalist economy is based on continual growth, obviously unsustainable and inherently flawed. Rather than viewing this as a drastic drop in sales, I view this as the camera market experienced an unprecedented boom period due to digital technology and cheap digital cameras. The same base tech also resulted in ending that boom period when smart phones took over. What is occurring now is a "market correction". The big established players will scale back to pre-boom levels. I wouldn't invest in them. But I'd still buy their cameras.

Old 05-17-2019   #96
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
The entire capitalist economy is based on continual growth, obviously unsustainable and inherently flawed. Rather than viewing this as a drastic drop in sales, I view this as the camera market experienced an unprecedented boom period due to digital technology and cheap digital cameras. The same base tech also resulted in ending that boom period when smart phones took over. What is occurring now is a "market correction". The big established players will scale back to pre-boom levels. I wouldn't invest in them. But I'd still buy their cameras.

I believe that this view is incorrect, simply because the market for imaging devices is growing. Every single year millions of people in developing countries join the middle class. In China alone over 100 million people joined the middle class in the past decade. India is also growing, although not as rapidly. These new members of the middle class want to capture their lives and record them for their families. It is telling, very very telling, that despite tens of millions of growth to this market, the traditional camera companies cannot eek out a million or more units of sales.

It's not surprising. Why would you want a traditional camera when your phone can do 99% of that and is always with you?

The big players are not preparing to scale back to "pre boom" levels because the steep decline in sales is not showing any signs of ending.

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, diversifying completely away from photography is the strategy most companies have taken. Fujifilm makes far more money from office equipment than they do cameras. Fuji is also investing very heavily in pharmaceuticals. Canon makes a huge amount of their revenue in the same area. Nikon is investing in chip production. Canon and Nikon are going mirrorless, so it will be interesting to see what, if any, affect that has on their sales.

Old 05-17-2019   #97
bushwick1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
The latest camera sales numbers are in and the bloodletting that the industry has been undergoing the past several years shows no signs of letting up. There's still a massive contraction in the camera market with revenues down severely. Something has *got* to give.

What is going to save the traditional camera industry? Can it be saved?
  • Canon down 23%
  • Sony down 7%
  • Nikon down 21%
  • Fujifilm down 3%
  • Olympus down 24%
  • Ricoh (Pentax) up 4%
  • Overall camera shipments (CIPA) were down 25% in dollars
  • Overall lens shipments (CIPA) were down 13% in dollars
Leica is not following that pattern, though. https://ch-de.leica-camera.com/Unter...Kameramarkt-ab

Old 05-17-2019   #98
lynnb

As always, I find Thom Hogan's thoughtful musings on this subject illuminating.
Flickr

Old 05-17-2019   #99
NickTrop

Quote:
I believe that this view is incorrect, simply because the market for imaging devices is growing. Every single year millions of people in developing countries join the middle class. In China alone over 100 million people joined the middle class in the past decade. India is also growing, although not as rapidly. These new members of the middle class want to capture their lives and record them for their families. It is telling, very very telling, that despite tens of millions of growth to this market, the traditional camera companies cannot eek out a million or more units of sales.

It's not surprising. Why would you want a traditional camera when your phone can do 99% of that and is always with you?

The big players are not preparing to scale back to "pre boom" levels because the steep decline in sales is not showing any signs of ending.

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, diversifying completely away from photography is the strategy most companies have taken. Fujifilm makes far more money from office equipment than they do cameras. Fuji is also investing very heavily in pharmaceuticals. Canon makes a huge amount of their revenue in the same area. Nikon is investing in chip production. Canon and Nikon are going mirrorless, so it will be interesting to see what, if any, affect that has on their sales.
-- I believe this (my) view is correct because it inherently addresses the growth in photographic imaging in the Asian market. They use Smart phones like eveyone else.

-- Additionally, the "steep decline" will level off. That it has
no signs of abating" is an incorrect assumption. The decline in film sales "leveled off" and experienced a modest uptick (I read about here). Digital imaging -- DSLRs, mirrorless will not be as drastically impacted as the film industry was. You can still get slide and 120 roll film (for Pete's sake), which really, from a purely pragmatic standpoint, has no useful application in modern times and is completely obsolete.

-- The big suppliers ARE scaling back to pre-boom levels based on forecasted demand. They, however, have no plans to cease prodution afaik. That they are strategically focusing on other divisions -- now that the camera boom is over, is only logical/goes without saying.

I am not sure what you're disagreeing with. I'm not sure that you can reasonably disagree with my original statement.

Old 05-17-2019   #100
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
-- I believe this (my) view is correct because it inherently addresses the growth in photographic imaging in the Asian market. They use Smart phones like eveyone else.

-- Additionally, the "steep decline" will level off. That it has
no signs of abating" is an incorrect assumption. The decline in film sales "leveled off" and experienced a modest uptick (I read about here). Digital imaging -- DSLRs, mirrorless will not be as drastically impacted as the film industry was. You can still get slide and 120 roll film (for Pete's sake), which really, from a purely pragmatic standpoint, has no useful application in modern times and is completely obsolete.

-- The big suppliers ARE scaling back to pre-boom levels based on forecasted demand. They, however, have no plans to cease prodution afaik. That they are strategically focusing on other divisions -- now that the camera boom is over, is only logical/goes without saying.

I am not sure what you're disagreeing with. I'm not sure that you can reasonably disagree with my original statement.

We need a few more years to see which view is the correct one. With the decline in sales volume still very much ongoing, the contraction, IMO, will be severe enough for several players to exit the market. That would be far beyond contracting to pre doom levels of sales.

Old 05-17-2019   #101
Larry Cloetta

Times have changed for photographers. They are not going to unchange, though this is neither good or bad, it’s just going to be different in some ways, going forward.
Phones are perfectly good for, as has been said here, perhaps 99% of the photos taken day to day, worldwide. They are not, however, perfectly good for 99% of photography. Those are two distinct things. Phones are more than adequate for selfies, pictures of your coffee cup and bagel, your lunch, your aunt Margaret at Naigara Falls, and any photograph Henry Cartier Bresson ever took, i.e. most any photograph ever taken with a rangefinder. Phones are not good for sports, most landscapes, wildlife, architecture, most fashion, macro, and most commercial product photography. Nor is it likely they ever will be.

Ever since the advent of the Brownie, the people who bought cameras to take photos of aunt Margaret at Niagara Falls have been the volume buyers, they have been the ones who subsidized the camera industry so that a few others could enjoy sports, wildlife, landscape, etc photography on the cheap, and manage a few snaps of their dinner on the side. Those days are not “probably” gone forever, they are just gone.

This is a rangefinder forum, rangefinder photography is a style of photography, it’s not photography. If that is one’s chosen style of photography, a phone is really the functionally perfect analog (yikes, sorry) to a rangefinder camera. Look at the entirety of HCB’s work and try to find one shot that couldn’t have been made with a phone, and sharper. Other types of photography, and there are many other types, not so much. But the number of people who have a need and desire to do those other types of photography, day in and day out, isn’t so great compared to the sheer numbers of people going about their lives “taking pictures” of their lunch, or themselves.

Sales volumes for “real cameras” are going to go down until they reach a steady state commensurate with the numbers of photographers who need and want a “real camera”. Expect to pay more, possibly a lot more, since uncle Fred’s purchase isn’t subsidizing your purchase any longer, as uncle Fred and most of his friends have moved on. However, makers of “real cameras” are not going to disappear, not all of them anyway. No point in worrying about it. Current cameras are amazingly competent, and competent cameras are not going to disappear. Really.

Old 05-17-2019   #102
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
They are not, however, perfectly good for 99% of photography. Those are two distinct things. Phones are more than adequate for selfies, pictures of your coffee cup and bagel, your lunch, your aunt Margaret at Naigara Falls, and any photograph Henry Cartier Bresson ever took, i.e. most any photograph ever taken with a rangefinder. Phones are not good for sports, most landscapes,

My iPhone X takes excellent landscape/street shots. It really is phenomenal the quality that comes out of it. Once I got rid of the snob reaction to phones and took them seriously, I began to see what they can really do. As a result, my Fuji X100 now collects dust.

Old 05-17-2019   #103
ptpdprinter

Most people used to use Brownies and Instamatics. Then they used digital point and shoots. Now they use their phones. Time marches on. That whole segment of the camera industry is gone, and camera companies will contract and focus on professionals and enthusiasts. We may lose a few players. But the sky is not falling.

Old 05-17-2019   #104
seagrove
Rich

Quote:
My iPhone X takes excellent landscape/street shots. It really is phenomenal the quality that comes out of it. Once I got rid of the snob reaction to phones and took them seriously, I began to see what they can really do. As a result, my Fuji X100 now collects dust.
"Phenomenal quality" is a very subjective term. Just one question - how well do your cellphone images stand up to cropping or printing at 8"x12" or larger. I can often do a severe crop of my X100S images and print at 12"x18". Is the Iphone really that good? I guess I am just too "old school" and enjoy bringing my camera up to my eye rather than holding a phone out so I can see the image. Oh well, to each their own....

Last edited by seagrove : 05-17-2019 at 05:24. Reason: correction

Old 05-17-2019   #105
Peter Wijninga

To each his own, indeed. If I had to rely on a phone to take pics today, I'd stop taking pics that same day. No worries though, it is not going to happen any time soon. All the best to Ted Striker and his Messianic outlook on life...I'll just continue taking pics with my outdated film cameras and with my doomed digital cameras. Cheers

Old 05-17-2019   #106
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrove View Post
"Phenomenal quality" is a very subjective term. Just one question - how well do your cellphone images stand up to cropping or printing at 8"x12" or larger. I can often do a severe crop of my X100S images and print at 12"x18". Is the Iphone really that good? I guess I am just too "old school" and enjoy bringing my camera up to my eye rather than holding a phone out so I can see the image. Oh well, to each their own....

What is this "printing" that you speak of? Just kidding, but like almost everyone else, I have stopped printing for the most part. I have a top grade Canon printer but the thing just collects dust.

I have made maybe 5 prints this year so far.

Old 05-17-2019   #107
Dogman

Quote:
What is this "printing" that you speak of? Just kidding, but like almost everyone else, I have stopped printing for the most part. I have a top grade Canon printer but the thing just collects dust.

I have made maybe 5 prints this year so far.
And that's very sad.

I just started a thread about viewing prints vs viewing on screen and my thought is that all photos viewed online look like crap compared to the photo printed well on paper. Even in a book.

Old 05-17-2019   #108
BillBingham2

Quote:
For me, my iPhone is not the same, not even close. Yes, I am happy with the pictures I take. Yes, it's used exclusively. Yes, it's always with me (unless it's charging). But it doesn't have the same feel.

I'm sure if I add a bit of software I can get better control over the focus and exposure, but it's the lack of a button for my trigger finger. There have been thin cases that provide a button, but they always are for the model that I don't have (first the 5, now the 7+).

Sadly I think that I'm on the wrong side of the 99% vs. 1% thing again.

But it's a good day here in Iowa. Bit of rain, a bit of sun later and lots to do.

B2 (;->

Old 05-17-2019   #109
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
And that's very sad.

I just started a thread about viewing prints vs viewing on screen and my thought is that all photos viewed online look like crap compared to the photo printed well on paper. Even in a book.

I agree with you completely. But I've run out of room to hang prints, and so they just languish in the house. I finally stopped printing because so few people could enjoy them. Maybe I'll print again, but I hardly shoot these days so not even much opportunity for new images.

I am toying around with getting some color film developed. All the labs closed down in my area so I have a stock pile of 60 or more rolls of C41 film. Several trips to Japan in there so maybe a few images worth printing.

Old 05-17-2019   #110
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
......I am toying around with getting some color film developed. All the labs closed down in my area so I have a stock pile of 60 or more rolls of C41 film. Several trips to Japan in there so maybe a few images worth printing.
Aren't you in Ann Arbor? If so, what about CameraMall? They do 35mm C-41.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 05-17-2019   #111
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Aren't you in Ann Arbor? If so, what about CameraMall? They do 35mm C-41.

Jim B.

Not 120 size sadly. I am primarily a 120 film shooter, except when I have my TX-1 out.

Old 05-17-2019   #112
Daryl J.

Digital: where art goes to die.

And the phone leads that stampede.

Old 05-17-2019   #113
JeffS7444

Hopefully, today's camera makers will remain in the camera business, even if it means fewer and costlier products. Perhaps the old model of endless growth and fast product cycles never was sustainable.

I realize that smartphones are capable of great photos, but the ergonomics are crap, and sometimes I just want to take a break from the Tamagochi-like attention-sinks that are smartphones.

Speaking of which, my iPhone 5s will cease to work on Tracfone's (Sprint's?) network at the end of the year due to it's lack of VoLTE. I'm tempted to replace it with a dumbphone.

Old 05-17-2019   #114
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
Speaking of which, my iPhone 5s will cease to work on Tracfone's (Sprint's?) network at the end of the year due to it's lack of VoLTE. I'm tempted to replace it with a dumbphone.
Now you have me worried. I have an iPhone 4 with Verizon. I have no interest in buying a new phone.

Old 05-17-2019   #115
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
Digital: where art goes to die.

And the phone leads that stampede.
How ridiculous...

Old 05-17-2019   #116
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Not 120 size sadly. I am primarily a 120 film shooter, except when I have my TX-1 out.
Woodward Camera processes 120 C-41, but it means driving to Birmingham. Unfortunately Huron Camera in Dexter closed down a few years back. They processed 120.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 05-17-2019   #117
jawarden

Quote:
Woodward Camera processes 120 C-41, but it means driving to Birmingham. Unfortunately Huron Camera in Dexter closed down a few years back. They processed 120.

Jim B.
I used to live in Birmingham and would walk my E6 and C41 to them. It’s nice to hear they’re still around. I miss Detroit.

Old 05-17-2019   #118
Ted Striker

Quote:

Jim B.

Thank you for the tip! I go to Birmingham on occasion to bring my Lotus to the shop over at Auto Europe. Next time I'm there I will check out Woodward Camera. Have you used them a lot? Can you vouch for their quality? Camera Mall in Ann Arbor is pretty abysmal; all kinds of spots on the negatives. Very disappointing.

Old 05-17-2019   #119
ChipMcD

Quote:
Ted,

As I am sur you know, there are still a lot of labs around, altho' you may need to reach them by mail. I'm lucky to have a good lab in my small city, but the only reason they are still around is that they get business from far and wide. They process 120 and larger C-41 and E-6. There are probably other labs that do work just as good.

http://www.colourworks.com/index.htm

Chip

Old 05-17-2019   #120
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The smart phone and instagram appear to be inseparable. I have a friend who is constantly telling me I should check out this or that photographer on instagram.

No ... just no!!!!!