Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Is there a "best" FSU?
Old 08-23-2015   #1
ABrosig

Is there a "best" FSU?

Partly for curiosity and partly to spur friendly discussion, I'm just wondering, is there a "best" camera from the Former Soviet Union?

I have two Mir (one working, one shelf sitter), A FED 3 and a Kiev 4. I love and use them (except the non-working Mir) on a regular basis. I also have a small variety of Jupiter and Helios lenses. My personal favs are the Jupiter 12, of which I have two, one for the FED/Mir and one for the Kiev.

I guess I'm just wondering what others think about their specific flavor of FSU camera. Pros vs. Cons, usability, anything we care to discuss. I don't want this to turn into a FSU version of the Nikon vs. Canon debate. Let's just have some fun talking about our cameras. Let's talk about why we love them, comments people have made about them, the odd looks we get when we pull them out of the bag. I know I've had a few interesting discussions start with subjects/random people when I'm out shooting with the FSU. I'm sure some of you have, too.

And feel free to post images, too. I love to look at what other people are doing. I'll kick it off.

[IMG]"Set Them Free" -- Store front, Sunday, May 10, 2015, West Erwin Street, Tyler, Texas. Camera info: Mir 35mm rangefinder manufactured ca. 1960 in the Former Soviet Union; Jupiter 12, 35mm f2.8 manual focus lens, also FSU; Ilford Delta 400 35mm film, expo by Andrew Brosig, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Back in production! Got my film processing set up again, first roll in my kitchen photo lab in the new apartment. And trying a new film, Eastman Double-X, new to me, anyway. Got some to try from The Film Photography Project. Shot on the Stephen F. Austin by Andrew Brosig, on Flickr[/IMG]

Visitors walk along the Vietnam Traveling Wall during an event commemorating the 40th anniversary of the end of the war in Vietnam on Saturday, April 25, 2015, on the campus of the Brook Hill School in Bullard, Texas. Today (Thursday, April 30' 2015) mark by Andrew Brosig, on Flickr

A visitor reads names inscribed on the Vietnam Traveling Wall on Saturday, April 25, 2015, during an event commemorating the 40th anniversary of the end of the war in Vietnam. The event was hosted by the American Freedom Museum on the campus of The Brookh by Andrew Brosig, on Flickr

Mir-Jup12-Indus50 by Andrew Brosig, on Flickr

Thanks

http://andrewbrosigphotography.blogspot.com/
http://instagram.com/andrewbrosig
http://www.andrewbrosigphotography.com

In hoc loco sum

Old 08-23-2015   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Generally it is always a crap shoot with FSU cameras.

The best cameras were the Kiev 2 and 3 models and the first 2 to 3 years of the Zorki 4 models. Having said that, these cameras are now very old and many of them have been worked hard and repaired poorly by do-it-your selfers or are still with many issues.

Old 08-23-2015   #3
FrankS

Best fsu camera is a working/reliable fsu camera.

photography makes me happy

Old 08-23-2015   #4
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

I will list some models that I think they have the best features which I value.
e.g.: you won't see Zorki-4 in the list even though it has the "Best of viewfinder brightness" to me (I don't have all of the FSU cameras), simply because I don't value that feature too much.
So here we go:

Best of versatility/ease of use: Zorki-6.
Pros: Nice viewfinder, close to 50mm view, glass-wearer friendly, film advance lever, hinged back, ease film loading, self timer.
Cons: Ugly plastic skin.

Best of compactness: Zorki-1
Pros: Very compact, small but bright viewfinder, close to 50mm view, glass-wearer friendly, less prone to light leak.
Cons: Film trimming needed, no strap lug.

Best of style: FED-2
Pros: Good looking, close to 50mm view, relatively glass-wearer friendly.
Cons: Dark viewfinder.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 08-23-2015   #5
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

The Leningrad was a very refined camera - the only Soviet designed RF to be quite up to its Western up-market contemporaries. And it is nicely finished and would be well made by Soviet standards, if it had not been for the unlucky design decision to put a strong steel spring inside a brittle cast body (so that they tend to self destruct whenever the transport mechanism needs service).

Old 08-23-2015   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Best fsu camera is a working/reliable fsu camera.
Competently agree.

Not so easy to find working ones, I wasn't able to fix some of them and where are some models which never been reliable.

I like FED-2 due to this. Elegant, works and not so complicated in service.
To me it is alternative to Leica Ms.

Smena-8 is good and cheap alternative to made in China lomography cameras in terms of plastic camera, but real lens. P&S with soul.

And Lubytel-2 is neat TLR, with next to perfect small to medium prints.

Moskva-2 is great 6x9 RF without stupid price and fogged lens.

Jupiter-8 and -3 are one of the best 50mm RF lenses on prints, after little effort put on them to collimate.

Old 08-23-2015   #7
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

If people fussed over them and spent as much time/money on them as they do on other maker's cameras, all of them would be great. Luckily they are nowhere near as expensive to repair and get into fine working order as other cameras. That's based on my experience as the owner and user of several Leicas and a Contax of roughly the same age as the ex-USSR ones.

The trouble is a lot of people judge them after buying a secondhand one and expecting it to work perfectly. Old cameras are not like that and often need a little TLC before giving their best again. Once put back into full working order there's little to distinguish my Leica II from my FED 1. And I could tell some horror stories about Leicas bought for serious money from serious dealers.

Personally I like all the old USSR ones from the 30's ones with the Summar clone to the late Kievs, Leningrads and so on. For newcomers the FED 2 with the Jupiter-8 takes a lot of beating.

Regards, David

Old 08-23-2015   #8
JP Owens

Fed 2 is my fav. Finder is pretty dark, but most usable of the various FSU screw mounts.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 08-23-2015   #9
Sid836

Fed-2 is my favorite too. I also like the Zorki-4, but I love the Fed-2 with the collapsible Fed-50 lens (Industar-10). It is nice, reliable, simple and really compact to fit it almost anywhere.

Old 08-24-2015   #10
Joao
Negativistic forever

The popularity and availability of Zorkis and FEDs causes fixed-lens rangefinders to be ignored: The Iskra and the Sokol (both the Automat and the "2") are fine cameras. Maybe not "the best FSU camera" but they are quite close ...

Old 08-24-2015   #11
mcfingon
Western Australia

My FSU purchases have all been Fed-2's so far. I like their simple, honest and robust appearance and function. Best lens for me has been the 1951 Jupiter-3 I have. This photo is using that lens. I've recently got a Fed-50 lens with my third Fed-2 and that looks like a nice lens too. I'll post when I shoot some film with it.

Old 08-24-2015   #12
Wulfthari

From a merely aesthetic point of view, IMO the best looking Soviet rangefinder is the Zorki 5 1st type, with the top made of shinier chrome, square rf window and painted logo.

Unfortunately it's also a paint to load and without lens it can damaged.

From a practical perspective the best compromise is the Zorki 6 and it's the one I use most, the Leningrad is definitely the most developed camera with Contax like quality but it's also capricious and problematic to use due to the spring motordrive, while the Zorki 4K although it offer a bigger viewfinder than the 5 and 6 feels cheaply made.

I don't have a Fed 2 but I've a Zarya and it's a nice simple machine, IMO the less features a Soviet camera has the more likely it will be robust and reliable.
Zorki 4K,5,6, Leningrad,Industar 61LD 1:2.8/55,Orion 15 1:5,6/28,Jupiter 8 1:2.0/50,Jupiter 9 1:2.0/85,Jupiter 11 1:4/135,Jupiter 12 1:2.8/35

Old 08-24-2015   #13
ABrosig

Question for the FED-2 folks: I've been looking at a few on the E site which seem to come with the film cartridge included. Will the camera function with a normal 35mm reloadable cartridge? Thanks

http://andrewbrosigphotography.blogspot.com/
http://instagram.com/andrewbrosig
http://www.andrewbrosigphotography.com

In hoc loco sum

Old 08-24-2015   #14
lrochfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrosig View Post
Question for the FED-2 folks: I've been looking at a few on the E site which seem to come with the film cartridge included. Will the camera function with a normal 35mm reloadable cartridge? Thanks
Yes, the FED-2 will use normal film cassettes.

If looking for a FED-2 try to find one where the shutter speed dial centre is a separate piece. On these models you life the dial to select the speed, but importantly can do it whether the shutter is cocked or not. Otherwise, you'll have to remember to cock the shutter before selecting a speed.

Old 08-24-2015   #15
Fotohuis

For me a Zorki-6. In the mean time I have two completely refurbished bodies. In LTM lenses I have the I-50, I-61, J-8, J-12 and since this week end a J-9.

Here a picture with the J-12 (F/2,8-35mm):

And indeed because camera and lenses are already pretty old they all need some maintenance.

Old 08-24-2015   #16
David Hughes
David Hughes

"Question for the FED-2 folks: I've been looking at a few on the E site which seem to come with the film cartridge included. Will the camera function with a normal 35mm reloadable cartridge? Thanks"

Hi,

This is what it says on page 4 of the manual:

"The FED 2 is completed with a magazine which opens automatically when the camera cover is locked. The camera permits also the use of other types of magazines."

Since I read the post ages ago I've been playing with and swearing at a variety of cassettes and so on. In a nutshell, the reloadable cassette that comes with the FED 2 is the usual FED one and that, like commercial loaded ones you get when you buy the film in a cassette, is 47mm high. That's from the base to the top of the spool, with the little button depressed.

Other types of magazine are not 47mm high; both Leitz and Contax ones are 49mm high and won't fit. I mention this as the FED cassette looks very like the Contax one.

Perhaps, the bit about "film cartridge included" means the take up spool? Those spools go missing quite frequently, and the reloadable cassettes are seldom/never with the camera.

I don't reload film these days and have no problems using the camera with boring, ordinary cassettes of film.

Regards, David

PS The FED 2 manual is here:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/russian_pdf/fed_2.pdf

Don't forget the donation; worth it just to see the little pictures of the photographer and his girl...

PPS Talking of mis-translations, ie cartridges meaning cassettes. The humble cassette has had more name changes than anything else over the years, magazine and spool were also names used for them.

PPPS Most of the USSR made take-up spools fit the old Leicas and are a lot cheaper and better, imo. That's probably why they go missing.

Last edited by David Hughes : 08-24-2015 at 08:33. Reason: Several crashes whilst typing...

Old 08-24-2015   #17
mcfingon
Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrosig View Post
My experience with the Fed-2 is that you will need a spacer with a normal 35mm cassette. The spacer will need to be about 2.5mm in size to cover the difference between Fed cassette at 45mm and modern at 42.5mm. Otherwise you run the risk of image area running into the sprocket holes. I bought a couple of the proper Fed-2 cassettes from Fedka.com to cover this. They are not the same as my Contax or Leica reloadable cassettes unfortunately.

Old 08-24-2015   #18
nongfuspring

Another vote for the Fed 2. Never had any issues using regular cassettes. In my experience they're tough and not hard to repair. VF is dark but the RF patch is bright and very accurate.

If FSU is broadened to all Eastern Bloc then the Werra 3 is my favourite by a very wide margin.

Old 08-24-2015   #19
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Cassettes where? Take in spool is kind a special and might be different for different Zorki.
But none of the FSU RF I had required special cassettes. FED-2 is no exclusion.

Old 08-24-2015   #20
Ron (Netherlands)

This one was totally crap before I restored it, but was the best I got in my hands after restoration (it wasn't mine):

NKDV FED repair & cla XV
by Ron (Netherlands), on Flickr

NKVD FED repair & cla -

NKVD FED repair & cla -

NKVD FED repair & cla -

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, 2x Rolleicord Vb, 2x Rolleiflex 3.5F white face, Rolleiflex 2.8A, 5x ICA Tropica

My Flickr

Old 08-24-2015   #21
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

+1 for Fed-2, Zorki-4, and Kiev 2. I own all three (plus a few more FSU cameras) and these are the most reliable Soviet cameras I own.

I own a couple Kiev 4's, they're not as well-made as the Kiev 2.

Also, in my experience, the Zorki-4 has has one of the best viewfinders of the FSU cameras. Very bright and easy to see.

My Zorki-4 (1971 model):

My Kiev 2a (1957 model):

Old 08-24-2015   #22
SteveM(PA)
Poser

Fed 2 for that long rangefinder base, plus PP seemed to like it.
Just make sure to tape over the name though. Pablo used to get so sick of talking with strangers about his Fed gear.

Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 08-24-2015   #23
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Cassettes where? Take in spool is kind a special and might be different for different Zorki.
But none of the FSU RF I had required special cassettes. FED-2 is no exclusion.
Hi,

Looking at a pre-war FED (NKVD version) I would say that - like 30's Leicas - they will take a slightly taller cassette. Taller by about a mm. or so. So spacers needed with modern ones.

Alas, thinking through all the variations (cassettes and bodies) and so on I don't want to tackle that question and I don't have access to some of the measuring stuff I need.

Anyway, I did my check with a 30's FILCA type B and a simple Vernier calliper and I guess that's good enough, fttb.

Regards, David

Old 08-25-2015   #24
Jacques M.

Hi!

Certainly, the Fed 2 is a very good shooter, with the large base of its rangefinder. And the early Kievs obviously have the Zeiss quality, as they were made on German assembly lines.
But for the history (and to shoot, too), I prefer a prewar Fed S, with a 2/50cm lens and shutters with the 1/1000th. I have several ones and one of them is really fantastic, with the shutters too slow on the 1/20th: schlaaaak! It's my daily...

Amitiés. Jacques.

Old 08-25-2015   #25
steveyork

I've owned a bunch of old cameras from the 50's and 60's -- literally dozens -- from Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Canon, Topcon, and probably a few others I've forgotten about, and w/o exception they all needed repairs or a CLA to be at their best. The same is true for my wife's MF -- Rollei, Ikoflex -- they all needed service

I shot rangefinders exclusively for 15 years, mostly using Leica, from an M4 and M5, but most film went through an MP and M7. A few years back I got rid of the M equipment in favor of the Leicaflex SL model (a near perfect camera for me). Anyway, when I wanted to shoot a rangefinder again, I tried a Fed 2 and Kiev 2 this summer. Very impressed. From my limited experience they are well made, good cameras. Not only great 'bang for the buck,' but they appear solid and well made.

Old 08-25-2015   #26
steveyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques M. View Post
Hi!

Certainly, the Fed 2 is a very good shooter, with the large base of its rangefinder. And the early Kievs obviously have the Zeiss quality, as they were made on German assembly lines.
But for the history (and to shoot, too), I prefer a prewar Fed S, with a 2/50cm lens and shutters with the 1/1000th. I have several ones and one of them is really fantastic, with the shutters too slow on the 1/20th: schlaaaak! It's my daily...

Amitiés. Jacques.
Yes, as a practical matter, I find a Fed 2 a good shooter. I'm in sunny Florida and I don't find the 1/500 limiting, because I just use color and ND filters. Likewise, I don't shoot much below 1/30 either, although it would be nice to have 1/15.

People complain about a "dim" and "squinty" viewfinder with the Fed 2. Yes, the earlier models do have a dimmer viewfinder then later (e.g., 60's) models, and in this way reminiscent of the Contax IIa and IIIa (the black dials have a dimmer viewfinder then the color dials), but a proper cleaning brightens everything up. I don't find them "squinty," however, because they have good magnification (at least 70%), and it is one of the few rangefinders where I can see all 4 corners w/ glasses.

The high contrast of the Fed 2 makes it easy to shoot, especially in low light. For me, I would opt for high contrast over brightness any day of the week. This is the reason I never got along with the Nikon S2 even after a proper cleaning -- the rangefinder patch was vague to the point of useless (sort of like a Zorki (had one of those in the house too)).

Old 08-25-2015   #27
steveyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

If people fussed over them and spent as much time/money on them as they do on other maker's cameras, all of them would be great. Luckily they are nowhere near as expensive to repair and get into fine working order as other cameras. That's based on my experience as the owner and user of several Leicas and a Contax of roughly the same age as the ex-USSR ones.

The trouble is a lot of people judge them after buying a secondhand one and expecting it to work perfectly. Old cameras are not like that and often need a little TLC before giving their best again. Once put back into full working order there's little to distinguish my Leica II from my FED 1. And I could tell some horror stories about Leicas bought for serious money from serious dealers.

Personally I like all the old USSR ones from the 30's ones with the Summar clone to the late Kievs, Leningrads and so on. For newcomers the FED 2 with the Jupiter-8 takes a lot of beating.

Regards, David
Agreed. A whole lot of 'double standard' when talking about rangefinders. Nobody would say a M2 is an unreliable camera just because it has sat around for 40 years and currently needs service. And yes, I've owned Leica, many of them, and the Leica rangefinders are overpriced.

Old 08-25-2015   #28
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

The Zorki 1 and its SLR brother Zenit-S. I had a Leica IIIc and compared to the Zorki 1, I can't tell the difference in their operation, so I sold the Leica and kept the Zorki.

Also Zorki 6:

Which can produce nice pics:

** Notice the wonky frame? I think this is why I like FSU cameras

Old 08-25-2015   #29
Fotohuis

Quote:
I shot rangefinders exclusively for 15 years, mostly using Leica, from an M4 and M5, but most film went through an MP and M7.
I still have a Leica M7 and for me it is one of the best rangefinder cameras.

But comparing the camera with a Zorki-6 and Jupiter lenses you will come to the conclusion the (M7) Leica camera and Leica glass are in average 50-100x more expensive and when I do the enlargements with my Rodenstock enlarger lenses for 30x40cm or even 40x50cm you have to look already pretty carefully to see the real differences.

If you can handle an external exposure meter quickly and you can estimate the changing light I am never far away what the M7 is doing.

Even just a test with micro film, so called high resolution, the Jupiter lenses are doing very well. But you need a good assembled one, same for the camea: Refurbished and technically OK. So you will end with a price for this the same (or more) you have paid for the camera or lens. But even then any FSU camera and lens is still a bargain. With a bit luck again another 40-50 years .......

I even do not have to talk about any digital RF's which is already oldfashioned after 5 years in use. And the amazing thing of analogue photography: You can "change" the sensor for each different roll of film.

J-12 with micro film E.I. 15 in Film Low Gamma / R.L.C. 1+4.

It is a pity a lot of digital mirrorless cameras are using those Jupiter lenses too (with adapter) because in the last years the price is going up quickly.

Old 08-25-2015   #30
Fotohuis

Another few minor things (but important) about that Z-6:

Engraved letters and big enough to read without my glasses. Easy quick transport. Simple re-wind. Shutter times: 1/30s sync - 1/500s +B, no slow shutter times so they can not break if you forgot to cock the shutter first before dialing ....
It is a very small camera body so nice to have two bodies with different films.
Easy in focus and build in dioptry correction. Strap lugs. No seperate pick up spool which can dropped out when changing the film.

When you want to flash a seperate connection for X and M (bulbs). Almost no mistake possible.
That Z-6 shutter is pretty quiet. Working with Yellow and N.D.0,6 mostly 40,5mm filters 1/500s is enough.

I won't recall the Leica M7 features: Z-6 Euro 40,- and I have paid Eur. 35,- for the refurbishment camera + lens.
Together with a J-12 (Eur. 60) and recently a J-9 (Eur. 100, oef... my most expensive FSU lens) you can have a great set with about almost the same results you can get with any Leica RF camera.

Old 08-25-2015   #31
Fotohuis

So you will read soon my experience with Z-6 and J-9 (F/2,0-85mm) against M7 + Summarit (F/2,5-75mm).

Old 08-25-2015   #32
SteveM(PA)
Poser

Z6 & J9 would be a luscious combination
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 08-25-2015   #33
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

Fotohuis -- I look forward to reading your comparison!

Old 08-25-2015   #34
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotohuis View Post
It is a pity a lot of digital mirrorless cameras are using those Jupiter lenses too (with adapter) because in the last years the price is going up quickly.
Believe me or not, it's the digital mirrorless with adapted rangefinder lenses that brought me back to film rangefinder cameras .
I'm looking forward to reading your comparison of Z6 and M7!

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 08-25-2015   #35
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotohuis View Post
Another few minor things (but important) about that Z-6:

Engraved letters and big enough to read without my glasses. Easy quick transport. Simple re-wind. Shutter times: 1/30s sync - 1/500s +B, no slow shutter times so they can not break if you forgot to cock the shutter first before dialing ....
It is a very small camera body so nice to have two bodies with different films.
Easy in focus and build in dioptry correction. Strap lugs. No seperate pick up spool which can dropped out when changing the film. ...

Which year is yours Z-6?
I had one from 1965 and it was loud with heavy shutter release with sharp release button at top of it. Painful even at next day after single roll with it. Advance lever was something like 270 degree, taking it longer to advance comparing to FED-2. And it required very special and rare take in spool.

Old 08-25-2015   #36
Pioneer

My Kiev 4 and 4M are pretty good cameras. They are currently functioning well with the exception of the meter. Considering how much I have spent on my Contax II they are excellent for the price. Even if it isn't working there are people who are able to get them working in Ukraine.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 08-25-2015   #37
Spanik

I have a working Zorki 4 and it is an agreable rangefinder. Would like to get the Fed Stereo working.

But the one I like best is the Kiev60. Got it from Hartblei and it has been dependable from the start (unless user error). Lenses are also great for the price they go, like the Arsat 30mm or 55PSC. It might not be for everyone but it is a great entry into MF that delivers honest results.

Old 08-25-2015   #38
Wulfthari

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyork View Post
Yes, as a practical matter, I find a Fed 2 a good shooter. I'm in sunny Florida and I don't find the 1/500 limiting, because I just use color and ND filters. Likewise, I don't shoot much below 1/30 either, although it would be nice to have 1/15.

People complain about a "dim" and "squinty" viewfinder with the Fed 2. Yes, the earlier models do have a dimmer viewfinder then later (e.g., 60's) models, and in this way reminiscent of the Contax IIa and IIIa (the black dials have a dimmer viewfinder then the color dials), but a proper cleaning brightens everything up. I don't find them "squinty," however, because they have good magnification (at least 70%), and it is one of the few rangefinders where I can see all 4 corners w/ glasses.

The high contrast of the Fed 2 makes it easy to shoot, especially in low light. For me, I would opt for high contrast over brightness any day of the week. This is the reason I never got along with the Nikon S2 even after a proper cleaning -- the rangefinder patch was vague to the point of useless (sort of like a Zorki (had one of those in the house too)).
Please notice that for Leica screw mounts there's a little and expensive accessory that make the rangefinder window become orange like a FED,and costs $50 on ebay.

The customers are the same that complaint about the Fed "dim" rangefinder.

Quote:

Which year is yours Z-6?
I had one from 1965 and it was loud with heavy shutter release with sharp release button at top of it. Painful even at next day after single roll with it. Advance lever was something like 270 degree, taking it longer to advance comparing to FED-2. And it required very special and rare take in spool.
I have two Z6, both from 1964, one is slightly louder than a Leica the other quiter but for the latter I don't like the shutter release, I assume there's a problem with that.

In both cases they are relatively quiet, I think yours needs a good lube.
Zorki 4K,5,6, Leningrad,Industar 61LD 1:2.8/55,Orion 15 1:5,6/28,Jupiter 8 1:2.0/50,Jupiter 9 1:2.0/85,Jupiter 11 1:4/135,Jupiter 12 1:2.8/35

Old 08-25-2015   #39
wolves3012

Is there a best FSU? I think the answer depends what you want and need from a camera. If small size is your thing, a FED or Zorki 1. Wide-base RF? FED 2/Zorki 5 & 6. Slower speeds? Zorki 3 or FED 3 onwards. However, if you can hack it with the "Contax grip" and "backwards" lens-focussing, a Kiev takes some beating. It has probably the best feature set plus bayonet mount and a metal, vertical shutter as added bonuses. Of course, the one that works reliably and that you have with you will always be the winner!
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG-M, XD-5
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2, 14-42 Kit lens + 45-150mm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-25-2015   #40
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:

Which year is yours Z-6?
I have two 1963 Z-6. One of them has a heavier shutter release but the other one is fine. I always use a cheap soft release cap on them to avoid rubbing my finger tip on the jagged shutter button.
The advance stroke is indeed long, I find double pump is the best way, definitely quicker than FED-2's knob turning, for me.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras