Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 10-03-2018   #41
nickthetasmaniac

I don't know that I've genuinely 'regretted' any photography purchases. There's been some I wasn't happy with, but in all cases I sold the gear with minimal loss and moved on. But just for fun here's the ones I wasn't happy with...

X100 (mkI, initial firmware) - super buggy and never should have been released to market. I hear they did great work with later firmware updates, but by then mine was long gone.

50mm Summilux v2 - impulse buy. Perfectly good lens, but way to rich for my taste. Made me nervous.

Leica III - fiddly. Managed to get in the way of photography in every way my M2 doesn't.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 10-03-2018   #42
Mr_Flibble

I regret getting into collecting cine cameras :P

Old 10-04-2018   #43
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

I regret being sucked into the whole micro four thirds camera thing. What was I thinking? Sure, I made some good images, so what, could have done it with most any other camera system. Money down the drain, moving on, thatís life.

Iím not bitter about it, just wish Iíd not gone there.

Mike

Old 10-04-2018   #44
Michael Markey

I`m not sure that I really regret buying anything.
I wish I hadn't spent the money only to find out that whatever it was didn`t work for me.
That`s the price of experience I guess.
What I did learn from that is that photography is a very personal business and very dependant on what sort of photographs you take .

So someone raving about this or that type of camera whether an on line reviewer or RFF member can only be taken at face value.

When reading a rave review or enthusiastic post I always check now to see what type of subject matter they are taking.

This I learned early on when trying to take action shots with film Rangefinders.
It sounds obvious but sometimes enthusiasm is infectious .

I don`t regret buying the Rangefinders Ö. still have them Ö I was just using them in the wrong circumstances.

Old 10-04-2018   #45
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
I regret being sucked into the whole micro four thirds camera thing. What was I thinking? Sure, I made some good images, so what, could have done it with most any other camera system. Money down the drain, moving on, thatís life.

Iím not bitter about it, just wish Iíd not gone there.

Mike
I'm curious about the story behind this... Why the regret if you used it to make some good images? Isn't that the point?

Old 10-04-2018   #46
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
I regret being sucked into the whole micro four thirds camera thing. What was I thinking? Sure, I made some good images, so what, could have done it with most any other camera system. Money down the drain, moving on, that’s life.

I’m not bitter about it, just wish I’d not gone there.

Mike
Me too, I bought an E-p1 when they first came out and later an E-3, both of which were likable, but ultimately produced vastly inferior images to my 5d at the time. Massive waste of money.

- The Epson R-d1 was a waste for me too, there's just no fun in a cropped 35mm or 28mm experience.

- Minolta film SLRs with the mc/md lenses - most overrated lenses I've ever used bar none and the cameras are finnicky and delicate.

Old 10-04-2018   #47
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Sony NEX 7

Pages and pages of seemingly randomly "organized" menu items , many such items titled in Sony-speak terms, intelligible only to the Sonyese.

Too much time spent pulling my hair out muttering "how the heck do I make it ........" fill in the blank.

Excellent IQ tho, which is why I waited so long but finally had to let it go before hurling it it against a wall.

Bunch of Nikon and Fuji X digital stuff
introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 10-04-2018   #48
karlin

every digital camera I bought .

sony a7
nikon d610
dp2 merril (twice)
gr
leica x(113)
fuji x100 ( twice)

I made some good images with all but I guess I'm feeling comfortable with shooting film.

only digital I think I would be satisfied with are the leica M M9 M10 MM but they are too expensive to me.

Old 10-04-2018   #49
al1966
Feed Your Head

Nikon D200, its AF was worse than the lower cost D80, more weight and more or less the same IQ
Canon 5d, damn sold my Fuji S3 and it produced less aesthetically pleasing to me files.
Canon T90, I loved the A line and the F1 but the T90 was just not as enjoyable in the hand, still have some FD gear still love them as cameras.
A Sony Nex3something, just horrible user interface and no eye level finder, the Nex6 is nice to use though.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-04-2018   #50
presspass
filmshooter

My periodic attempts to return to medium format. Having shot Koni Omegas and Rolleis when I first started doing newspaper work, I occasionally think I should go back to them or something like them again. That's led to a well-used Koni and, of all things, an RZ67, both sitting on shelves for well over 18 months. I also have a 2.8 Rollei, the last one I used professionally. Even though I will probably only put a roll or two more of Tri-X through it in the next year, it will stay as long as I do. The RZ and the Koni will probably go when I get around to it.

Old 10-04-2018   #51
faris

I do not have the luxury of returning cameras, once purchased. And neither do I have access to an active camera buy-sell market.

And neither to near repair facilities.
Having said that...

Two cameras I regret having purchased...

Fuji XH-1.
Nikon D 750.

They dont add except a little, to the cameras I have or to my requirements for my photography.

Want vs need. An expensive lesson for me.

btw, I donít regret purchasing Leicas..the M8, the ME, M7, MP. They still work.

Old 10-04-2018   #52
Emile de Leon

Never met a camera I didn't like right off the bat..or didnt learn to like...
From Kodak disc...to 16x20 ULF Wisner..
All have been reliable once the bugs were worked out..
Never went the Leica M digital route though..too frought with potential problems..and too expensive...
Closest I came to regret though..was the 4x4 baby Rollei in mint cond...camera shop owner says..$35 bux for it..but.. it needs repair..
so...I got it because it was cute..but paid thru the nose for Krikor to repair it..and film was a pita..and its shooting parameters was a pita too..as in too complex..
So it sat in a drawer for 20 years...I only ran 1 roll thru it..and decided it wasn't better than 35mm so why bother..
But just recently..at advancing age..held it once again and thought..this is pretty cool...lightweight too..and I have some left over old film..and a new developing reel..
OK..lets use it..this will be fun..
And so it goes..

Old 10-04-2018   #53
DanskDynamit

at this point we could open a facebook group "I too regret buying the Fuji x100"

Old 10-04-2018   #54
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlin View Post
every digital camera I bought .

sony a7
nikon d610
dp2 merril (twice)
gr
leica x(113)
fuji x100 ( twice)

I made some good images with all but I guess I'm feeling comfortable with shooting film.

only digital I think I would be satisfied with are the leica M M9 M10 MM but they are too expensive to me.
The DP2M is a great camera. I loved shooting with mine while I lived in Asia. Still have it, but am not sure where it is. I should try digging it out. Amazing lens on that camera.

Old 10-04-2018   #55
Graybeard
Longtime IIIf User

I regret ever having dabbled in Russian 35mm cameras.

The lenses have been of good quality (often only after relubrication and shimming, that being done, I use them to this day). The Russian LTM, Contax clones, and SLR M42 bodies, I have obtained via eBay were nothing but disappointments.

The Russian LTM clones that found their way into my hands were all in need of service. I was an earlier user of Oleg's repair services, and he treated me fairly and well. The Kiev which he CLA'd for me worked properly for a while, then failed (shutter) when I had backpacked the damn thing ten miles from the trailhead. The Rolleicord that I also had in my pack saved the day.

Barnack Leicas, and Barnack Leica copies/clones, require periodic cleaning and service, this is the nature of mechanical clockwork shutters. The cost of a proper CLA is the same regardless of if the camera is a genuine Barnack Leica, a Japanese post WWII copy, or a Russian copy.

I can only suggest that one buy a genuine Barnack Leica, have it properly CLA'd, and shoot with it for years.

The Russian copies are best forgotten.

Regrets, I've only had one
Old 10-04-2018   #56
pyeh

Regrets, I've only had one

I've bought lots of gear which I then realised I could have done without, or they're not as great as cracked out to be, but the one item that I actually regret was the M Typ240 (the real M10). Now that was such a clunker and so un-M: fat, feature-bloated, awful colours, terrible almost useless add-on EVF, prone to hanging, HUGE red dot. All this coming after my M9s, which I still have, and we all know how risky M9s are. I sold my M Typ240 as soon as the current M10 (M11) was released, before the catastrophic collapse in M 240 prices.
I realise many people like the M240 and often there are recommendations in this forum to buy one second hand because of perceived good value, but I say only buy one if you never had, or didn't like, the M9.

Old 10-04-2018   #57
Michael Markey

Now that’s interesting Peter ... I’ve often been tempted.

Old 10-04-2018   #58
arseniii

Olympus E-P5 (aka PEN 5) had the worst shutter shock issue on the most used (by me) shutter speeds. Could not get a sharp image out of this thing. Sold at a huge loss and switche to E-M1, no regrets on this one...

Old 10-04-2018   #59
pyeh

Michael, many people dote on their M 240 so mine is only one data point, as people around here say. I can only add that for me the M9 gives a very authentic M-camera experience and wonderful colours. If it has the new stainless sensor then it has only two drawbacks: noisy shutter (quite a big deal actually) and need for Lightroom to process its DNG files. Its JPGS are not good really.

Old 10-08-2018   #60
farlymac
PF McFarland

I regret becoming a camera enthusiast. It all started so innocently enough. I started buying Canon gear to make up a kit to replace one that my oldest brother lost in a fire many years ago. The leftovers got me to wondering what it was about Canon that so many people were enthralled by, so I made up a kit for myself. Pretty nice really, and I'm a Nikon kind of guy.

After that, it was Minolta, then Olympus, then any P&S camera I found at Goodwill (don't laugh, some of them have excellent lenses). It didn't help that a friend on the other side of the country would send me a box of cameras every month.

Then I graduated to the hard stuff: Rollie, Zeiss to name a couple. I tried to stay away from Leica, but after toying around with FSU cameras, I eventually succumbed to the lure of the sirens.

Now, regrettably, there are too many cameras around here. But the only one I truly regretted came early in the order of purchase, and that was a Taron VR fixed lens rangefinder with the aux lens set. Man, is that some piece of junk, and it didn't help that someone tried to fix it before putting it on eBay.

So my only regret now is having to start getting rid of most of the collection, as a majority of them really should be in the hands of folks who will use them. I've had a lot of fun with them myself.

PF

Last edited by farlymac : 10-08-2018 at 21:25. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-08-2018   #61
Huss

My regret is buying new gear when there is so much incredible used gear available for pennies on the dollar.

Old 10-08-2018   #62
nickthetasmaniac

Come to think of it, probably my biggest photographic regret was not purchasing a 35mm f2.8 Summaron when the AUD was worth $1.10 USD

Old 10-09-2018   #63
ACullen

My regrets are mainly centred around my inability to move gear on that I’m not using sufficiently. I’ve a D700 with a number of AF lenses which rarely get used but for the occasional sports photography. Sentiment has me keep a Yashica 124 I’ve had since 1982 but which has hardly been used since succumbing to a 3.5F. A Contax 139Q system also bought in the early eighties lies under used having been displaced by an M2. And so it goes.

Old 10-09-2018   #64
steveyork

All the top end Leica lenses I used to shoot on my top end Leica M bodies. I belatedly learned my pictures are just as crappy with less expensive stuff. They held their value though; in some instances I actually made money. Not much of a rangefinder guy anyway.

Old 10-09-2018   #65
Roger Hicks

Occasionally I bought cameras I thought were valuable with an eye to making a profit, and either didn't make the profit, or didn't make enough profit to be worth the effort. But that was decades ago. I don't think I ever lost money, though. O happy days, when there were many more camera stores, and no internet.

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-09-2018   #66
ASA 32

Konica Hexar AF

Old 10-09-2018   #67
bayernfan

every digital camera i've bought except the Ricoh GXR. you tell yourself "this is gonna be the one" and one month later it's just another lost cause. i think i've learned my lesson.

Old 10-09-2018   #68
benlees

Looking at the bloody prices for film kit I regret selling all that I did in the last few years!

I sold a Mamiya 7 w/ the 80mm for $800! Going for more than double that now. Crazy.

Old 10-09-2018   #69
BillBingham2

The only cameras I have regret buying were the FSUs. Reliability was the issue and after spending twice what I paid for them to bring them up to speed I pulled the plug. Loved the cameras for themselves, but I need to be able to trust what I'm using and I just couldn't.

YMMV.

B2 (;->

Old 10-09-2018   #70
Takkun
Ian M.

I think I get serious buyers remorse over every purchase. I once bought a pen and regretted it deeply for a month. Camera gear hasn't been immune, definitely always a 'why do I want/need this again?"

Ones I regret outright:
Back in high school, a couple bought when I 1- worked at a camera shop (discount!!) and 2- had more disposable income and no bills--

A Holga 120, long before the trend and selling for $50 at urban outfitters, but it's something that clogs up space and I don't think I'll get around to using. MF film, processing and scanning is too expensive to spend on playing with it.

The bare-bones Seagull TLR. Mine wasn't great, light leaks abound and what I now think was a decentered lens. Little did I know I'd inherit my grandfather's Mamiya C330 soon after. Still, it was fun, and discovered the magic of getting back a roll of Ektachrome, even if I didn't have any way of projecting it.

Two digitals: One, buying a used EOS 10D. I've always liked the Canon handling more than Nikons, and much preferred it to the D70 at the time. Problem was, I had a lot of old Nikon AI/AIs lenses I'd been given from various family members, which obviously didn't work with either, really, and no budget for more than a nicer kit lens (the old 28-105). Ended up trading it for the other one on my list...

The Nikon D1x. Huge. Clunky interface held over from the F5. Terrible low-light. This was 2007, and I should have bought something modern, but didn't, and heck, it got me through journalism school just fine, and doubled as a weapon if needed.

The other list, of those that got me into buying new gear....
-Fuji X100. Got it when I was laid off from being a staff photog and started working at an office, wanted something as an everyday carry type camera. Got me to sell off most of my SLR gear, dust off the old Bessa, and dive into RFs whole-hog.

Canon XL-H1. I used to do a lot of music photography, and was always getting asked to do video. So instead of making a sane decision and buying a DSLR with video, I pick up this beast of a camcorder on auction, and I'm hooked on video now. Been asked a few times if I'm with the news. Tapes are a pain, but I like to think of it a bit like film—a lost craft.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 10-09-2018   #71
luna92

Gopro 6. The image is quite terrible for vlogging, just making short film about adventure only.
Outdoor watches under 100

this could be (this is) me...
Old 10-09-2018   #72
ozmoose

this could be (this is) me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
My periodic attempts to return to medium format. Having shot Koni Omegas and Rolleis when I first started doing newspaper work, I occasionally think I should go back to them or something like them again. That's led to a well-used Koni and, of all things, an RZ67, both sitting on shelves for well over 18 months. I also have a 2.8 Rollei, the last one I used professionally. Even though I will probably only put a roll or two more of Tri-X through it in the next year, it will stay as long as I do. The RZ and the Koni will probably go when I get around to it.
Huh. This is me, in far fewer words than I could ever say it!

Like so many, I get periodic attacks of a form of GAS I identify as 'mediumformat-itis' - an overwhelming urge to go big, make large negatives, enjoy the (supposed) benefits of better sharpness, more definition, great mid-tones, and the like.

I got into MF in the '60s (Yashica D, Rolleis). I own three 'flexes and a 'cord Vb and still use them. The one-lens limit has always limited me, so I think.

Meantimes, I bought and used Speed Graphics, Linhofs, Bronicas, a Contax, and a handful of Mamiyas. The worst investment in time and money I made in MF, was a battered but functional GA645 I got dirt-cheap six years ago. A great camera, incredibly sharp lens, superb definition, it worked well - but I couldn't bond with it. My worst annoyance was I had to turn it on its side to shoot anything horizontal, and almost all my work is architecture. So I sold the beast, at a small profit.

Not content with this adventure, 18 months later I bought a GA645i. Same problems. I tried and tried, I used it for a year, I put 100+ rolls through it - and happiy fogged it off pronto when a friend offered me a profitable price.

Now, you think I would have learned my lesson about the Fuji GAs. Not so. In 2016 I had the offer of a GA645wi and I went into it again. Same problems, plus distortion I saw in my architectural images. I need undistorted verticals, and the GA645wi gave just enough distortion to bother me, unless I used a tripod, which wasn't suitable. So it went, for the price I paid, on Ebay, so a small loss after commissions etc.

I now use my two Rolleiflex Ts and 16 exposure kits, and do work that I regard as just fine.

Lesson learnt. Like presspass, I've not regretted any of this, and view the experience as part of my learning curve in life.

My Rolleis, like my Nikkormats, will stay with me. It's good to know what gear suits us best and to make the best of it, and I've learned this, if at times the hard way.

Digitally, my two firsts were Canons, a G10 I despised for its p*ss-poor framing and other quirks, then a 450D I made a valiant afford to like, but failed, mostly poor contrast and image sharpness problems (could have been software, or just a badly built camera). Got rid of both, bought a Nikon D90, now use two Nikon D700s. Happy as a pig in you know what. Short and sweet.

Excellent posts overall in this thread.

Old 10-09-2018   #73
skucera

I bought an Exakta, only to learn just now NOT left-handed I am. I didn't realize that the entire camera was designed by a lefty for lefties, and I was just too right handed to enjoy it. :P At least I sold it for what I spent for it, so I wasn't out any money.

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Last edited by skucera : 10-09-2018 at 20:05. Reason: Typo