Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

Old 05-23-2019   #41
jonmanjiro

I think the 28/3.5 and 50/2.5 LTM lenses are generally ok. The 28/3.5 seems a bit prone to schneideritis, if anything.

I've struck out multiple times with various early versions of the 35/2.5, and also had bad luck with haze in a 21/4, 35/1.7, 75/2.5, and 90/3.5

Old 05-24-2019   #42
Erik van Straten

Maybe we can collect lens numbers of Ultron 35mm f/1.7 lenses that are affected with haze (milky optical cement in fact) and wich are not. Maybe we can find out when Cosina started to use better optical cement.

The later type of Ultron 35mm f/1.7 has a more "undulating" style of focusing ring. Mine has this newer type of focusing ring, has no milky optical cement and has number 9450560.

"Haze" as I know it is something else than this very bad optical cement; it is vaporized lubricant that is deposited on the lens elements. Ususally it can be removed easily except in cases when "soft" coating is used.

Erik.

Old 05-24-2019   #43
maddoc
... likes film.

Mine is serial number 9931084, also a later copy?

flickr
pBase

Old 05-24-2019   #44
Erik van Straten

Gabor, does your lens have the "wavy" type of focusing ring (like a Summilux from the sixties) or the earlier smooth one with only smal ribbed surfaces?

Erik.

Old 05-24-2019   #45
maddoc
... likes film.

Only small ribbed surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Gabor, does your lens have the "wavy" type of focusing ring (like a Summilux from the sixties) or the earlier smooth one with only smal ribbed surfaces?

Erik.

flickr
pBase

Old 05-24-2019   #46
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Only small ribbed surfaces.

That is the earlier version.

Erik.

Old 05-24-2019   #47
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Maybe we can collect lens numbers of Ultron 35mm f/1.7 lenses that are affected with haze (milky optical cement in fact) and wich are not. Maybe we can find out when Cosina started to use better optical cement.

The later type of Ultron 35mm f/1.7 has a more "undulating" style of focusing ring. Mine has this newer type of focusing ring, has no milky optical cement and has number 9450560.

"Haze" as I know it is something else than this very bad optical cement; it is vaporized lubricant that is deposited on the lens elements. Ususally it can be removed easily except in cases when "soft" coating is used.

Erik.

Is this the earlier style focusing ring? https://www.casualphotophile.com/201...-7-ltm-review/ My two specimens with haze were not like that, the focusing ring has valleys which are ribbed and smooth hilltops.

I'd continue calling this haze because that's what it looks like and in the case of the ore common haze due to condensation, "haze" is still a term that describes the visual impression, not the cause.

Old 05-24-2019   #48
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Is this the earlier style focusing ring? https://www.casualphotophile.com/201...-7-ltm-review/
The lenses on the picture you show is the earlier type, the later lenses have deeper valleys that are rounded towards the front of the lens, not straight as on these. They provide a better grip.

The lower one in the picture.

Erik.

Old 06-28-2019   #49
Archiver

I just picked up number 9960391, it has the same fluted ribbing as the lower lens in the image above. There does not appear to be any haze. I'm quite thrilled to get this, as the earlier one I had couldn't be shimmed for my M9, but still had a unique and attractive rendering. It feels just right on the M9 and focuses quickly and accurately. It's soft and glowy wide open and at minimum focus distance, but further out, it's sharp and lovely.