RF/lens alignment?
Old 08-11-2019   #1
bert26

RF/lens alignment?

Over the past 6 mo or so I’ve had to send my m6 out a few times (CLA, flare optics/frame lines removal, and most recently just to check my lens on it) and the lens three times (CLA, and then a couple tries to get the aperture index dialed.) Everything is all good but since my luck is laughably terrible, I began to wonder how plausible it would be for either to go out of alignment in the shipping processes. I bubble wrapped the living hell out the gear each time as did Don. There’s no way I’d send either the body or the lens back at this point but I checked the focus at one meter and haven’t done infinity yet. At 1m it is a bit off (but not terribly?) but am wondering if I’m doing it wrong? Where do you measure from? Also I know a meter is 3.28 feet so maybe my measurement was slightly off in case it was 3 feet (really hard to get perfect.)But yeah, is it from the end of the lens, the beginning of the lens, or the beginning of the body? And if it is off, it would be the lens or body? Everything will still be in focus if lined up? Just can’t guesstimate in a pinch or?? It’s my understanding that you gotta be really rough with a body or lens to throw things out of alignment? The packages never arrived to me beat up at all. Also, in the note he states (since it’s the Canadian version without screws) that there is no adjustment for aligning the front ring and he had to do some adjustments that aren’t normally done on this lens which I believe was just bending and filing the front ring where the hood clips in which obviously wouldn’t cause this problem because there’s no way he’d go forward with the repair it that was the case and he’s the best in the biz, doing this since 1975... anyway I attached a picture below. Can’t remember if I started the measurement from the from the front of the lens, beginning, or beginning of the camera( from the back of the top plate). I tried all three before work and was rushed. Thanks

https://flic.kr/p/2gV8cWX

Old 08-11-2019   #2
Beemermark

Are your pictures in focus?

Old 08-11-2019   #3
bert26

I literally just got the body and lens back 2 days ago so I don’t know yet. I’ll shoot a test roll tomorrow but am just curious about the proper way to measure distance.

Old 08-11-2019   #4
awilder

Measurement of actual subject distance when compared to the focusing scale is always done with reference to the film plane (a few mm forward from the rear of the top plate), never to the front of the lens. Unfortunately, the only Leica RF body I've ever seen it clearly marked is on the M5. If your lens correctly focuses at infinity, the scale focus at 1 meter should also closely match coincidence with the subject 1 meter from the camera's film plane. If significantly off, the camera's RF cam arm length may need adjustment at the 1 meter position. Unlike the making the infinity cam roller adjustment, the 1 meter adjustment is a bit harder to make in the field and should be left to a good technician.

Old 08-11-2019   #5
bert26

Thank you awilder, I’ll try again tonight and see how off it is (if at all.) it is pretty difficult to measure with a normal measuring tape even though it’s a park tools measuring tape that measures in CM. I mean the odds of it being off after a CLA is incredibly slim, right? It was sent back again to have the VF upgrade and certain framelines removed and he would’ve noticed it it was off and the last time he didn’t even open it up. He ships these bodies all over the world on a daily basis and altogether, since the CLA, it spent maybe 7 days in the carrier’s hands. But again, thought I’d check cos garbage luck.

Old 08-11-2019   #6
Peter Jennings

Please clarify. Are you concerned that the markings on the lens don't match up with the actual focus distance? If so, I would not worry about it. What's actually important is the relationship between the lens and rangefinder. To check the accuracy of this, you either examine your pictures, or you open up the back and use ground glass. The markings on the lens barrel are only an estimate.

Old 08-11-2019   #7
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jennings View Post
Please clarify. Are you concerned that the markings on the lens don't match up with the actual focus distance? If so, I would not worry about it. What's actually important is the relationship between the lens and rangefinder. To check the accuracy of this, you either examine your pictures, or you open up the back and use ground glass. The markings on the lens barrel are only an estimate.
Is the infinity marking an estimate?

Old 08-11-2019   #8
awilder

I've always found on Leica lenses and bodies the markings to be surprisingly accurate especially 50mm and longer. For example testing a 1937 50/3.5 Elmar on a IIIg body, when focused at 103" from a subject, the scale marking was approximately 2.6 meters (102.5"). Even if your lens scale doesn't exactly or nearly match the focusing distance like mine, what's most important is that the image is actually sharp. The scale is just a guideline. When I use to own M bodies and lenses, the later 35 Summicron scale markings were not as precise in matching focused distance but as long as it's focus produced sharp images I didn't really care.

Old 08-11-2019   #9
Beemermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post

Define infinity. On many lenses, especially SLR lenses, the lens will focus beyond the infinity markings.

Old 08-11-2019   #10
Peter Jennings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
I was afraid someone would get pedantic with that remark!

I meant, of course, that one should regard them as (very accurate) estimates.

Old 08-11-2019   #11
bert26

Measured from the film plane and at 1m the focus is dead on. Looks like I'm all good.

Old 08-11-2019   #12
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
Define infinity. On many lenses, especially SLR lenses, the lens will focus beyond the infinity markings.
I thought we were discussing issues with a Leica M6. If you want to introduce visoflex lenses into the equation, we are no longer dealing with a rangefinder calibration query.

Old 08-11-2019   #13
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jennings View Post
I was afraid someone would get pedantic with that remark!

I meant, of course, that one should regard them as (very accurate) estimates.
I may have taken your first post too literally Peter—apologies for that.

Old 08-12-2019   #14
mcfingon
Western Australia

The film plane marker is hidden under the advance lever on my '86 M6.

John Mc

Old 08-12-2019   #15
awilder

Thanks for sharing, I was only going by top plate photos with the crank folded. I forgot that it was hidden there since I hadn't touched an M body in 10 yrs since giving up film for digital.

Old 08-12-2019   #16
pyeh

That's funny isn't it. That film plane symbol is not on my M2s, M4 (although that is a repaint so maybe it was there originally) or MPs. It really should be de rigueur.