Old 08-21-2019   #41
raid
Dad Photographer

I may start looking for a V1 Summilux 50 lens.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-21-2019   #42
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I may start looking for a V1 Summilux 50 lens.

It is a kind of hidden gem. Many people still think that it is inferior to the V2, but the reverse is true. I worked many years with the V2 - I still have it - but the V1 is much better.

Leica MP, Summilux 50mm f/1.4 V1, 400-2TMY/Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

On the Leica M5:

On the Leica M2:

The bokeh-balls in the middle of the image have a white dot in them. Funny enough the bokeh-balls of the Summilux 35mm f/1.4 steel rim has those too.

Erik.

Old 08-22-2019   #43
raid
Dad Photographer

I trust your experience based recommendation, Erik.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-31-2019   #44
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick De Marco View Post
Fast becoming one of my favourite lenses. It may be old, and I have read the 1st version Lux lacks sharpness wide open, but I am very impressed with the performance of this lens.

Wide open the sharpness matches any of the other lenses I won (such as 50 Summicrons) in the in focus areas and the bokeh is very pleasing to me. I think the lens has that quality/feel that some people describe as a 'Leica glow' or three dimensional effect. Italso performs superbly stopped down.

Leitz 50mm Summilux f1.4 (v1) Photo Gallery by Nick De Marco at pbase.com

For those interested there is a kind of comparison, by looking at the other galleries this is within, with the Canon 50mm f1.2 - another fast old 50 some people criticize for being soft. I have not done a scientific comparison but looking the the various photos taken in these sub-galleries I draw the following conclusions:

1. The Canon 50/1.2 is without doubt a little soft wide open. I still quite like the lens, but the overall image is not only less sharp than the Lux 1.4, it also lacks that 3 dimensional feel

2. The Canon 50/1.4 is sharper than the 1.2, but I find the results rather mediocre

3. The 50 Lux is the most beautiful and the best performer. Looks great too but just a shame it's so big (nothing compared to the new Nokton 1.1 or Noctilux of course)

Before now my favourite RF lens was the 35 Summicron f2 pre-asph 4th version. It will probably remain my favourite lns in part as 35mm is my favourite range. This old Lux is the closest lens I have come across for creating he same unique feel as the 35/2. It's been a while since I used my 50 Summicrons, and I had no complaints about them, but I do prefer this Lux.

I'd like to know what other people think, in part as I am a bit of a lens whore. Whilst looking at recent results of experiments with new and old lenses I got all lusty over my new CV 35mm Color-Skopar f2.5 II - a lens I bought on a whim because it is small and took to taly without a clue how it would do. It was so sharp wide open, had good bokeh that it nearly (only nearly) actually competes with my favourite lens in my impressionaistic opinion - so deserving a separate thread to this one dedicated to the lovely Lux

I totally agree with Nick De Marco wrote here - ten years ago.

Leica MP, Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v1, 400-2TMY/Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Old 08-31-2019   #45
Erik van Straten

Leica MP, Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v1 black, 400-2TMY/Adox MCC 110.

Erik.