Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

I was content ... until ...
Old 02-02-2017   #1
dee

I was content ... until ...

At near 70, Post retirement , with restricted funds, the new £320 Fuji X-pro 1 + 27mm bought in August 2016 was to be my final outlay.
It was just too cheap to miss !
The uncertainty of the EVF being somewhat relieved by the possibility of a clear finder and styling/handling , which I love .

It has filled a gap between my M8 , CV 35 f2.5 / J3 , my preferred DSLRS - older CCD Sony A290/A390 , 35 f1.8 and an unsure relationship with a Sony SLT A35 with EVF ... providing higher ISO possibilities at the expense of an EVF , but it seems odd to put in a mirror box when a mirrorless is more efficient .
There was continuity with my Minolta heritage and a few lenses .

UNTIL I chanced upon a Pentax k-!S @ £220 with kit zoom and 35mm f2.4 .
I was shocked by the clarity of the pentaprism finder , the live view screen and the immediacy of the images on screen wide open , plus it is compact for a DSLR. i also have some old lenses from my Pentax K10D , largely retired .

OK , both cameras were affordable and are acceptable enough to last me for years as I won't abandon my older cameras .

The point is that I was reasonably content , only the gap for a reasonably compact quality camera with higher ISO covered by the Fuji X-Pro 1 led to some dee'squiet .

Then the Pentax messed up that status quo .

The concern is - if this can happen now ... what will it be like in 5/10 years time ?
Can GAS ever be considered overcome ?

dee'spair
Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-M1 joined by neat X-T1

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .
Minolta SR1s/SR7v/SRTs various !

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.

Old 02-02-2017   #2
benlees

GAS ("desire") can never be overcome. It is not the object, or end result, that we desire, it is desire itself. Can't get away from it. Sounds cheesy. Just part of being human. Marketing latches onto this like a pitbull! The latest and greatest will do nothing to curb it.

Oh well!

Old 02-02-2017   #3
unixrevolution

We all have an ideal setup in our heads, but really, we will never get there.

Once you are content, you'll find a way to improve it.

It can ALWAYS be improved.

I am in the midst of distilling my gear, but I know I will constantly have something else on the horizon as a "someday" purchase.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 07-04-2017   #4
dee

The new , warranted ,Fuji X-Pro 1 with 27mm pancake [ 41mm nom ] has become my carry all camera .
It's sufficiently compact - and i have the new £220 Pentax K-1s 35mm and zoom if required ...

Except , I have chanced upon a NEW very ex-dem Fuji X-M1 with 16-50 zoom[ usually selling at clearance £350 for a complete camera ] lacking all ancillaries without even a charger or battery , @ £180.
I can't resist as I have straps and the charger is the same as the X-PRO 1 , just a lens cap and battery around £20 or so and almost a free body with the useful 16-50.
Even the manual is online , what's not to like ?

Honestly , I should not be snooping around during John Lewis [ department store ] clearance which contributed the Pentax and now the Fuji ! [ The X-pro1 was courtesy of Currys ]

However is has led to a pair of excellent quality , NEW , warranted , compatible reasonably compact cameras probably for colour and mono with 27mm and 16-50 for an outlay of around £500 ... add the Ks1 and I have three cameras for less than £750 .

it's not just about the money - the KS-1 has a brilliantly clear finder and is compatible with my Pentax lenses , and the newish experience of the X-Pro 1 has been fantastic . The X-M1 shares this sensor , so I am aware of the potential .

I would NOT buy a camera at any price from any other system , having been caught by Sony abandoning the DSLR range , and the earlier demise of 4/3rds , despite having gifted me with the unique Leica [ Panasonic ] Digilux 3 which is my all time 'vintage' comfort camera !!

Collecting Dee,scarded Digitals is a comfort to the dee'sruption of the dee'sorientation , but it has to have some logic!!

dee

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.

Old 07-04-2017   #5
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
We all have an ideal setup in our heads, but really, we will never get there.

Once you are content, you'll find a way to improve it.

It can ALWAYS be improved.

I am in the midst of distilling my gear, but I know I will constantly have something else on the horizon as a "someday" purchase.
I disagree.

Regards digital cameras, since I acquired the Leica SL and the Leica M-D, I have realized that I am done: I don't need any further 'improvements', I need to make photographs. Any further improvements are beyond my ability to take advantage of and are not worth wasting my energy thinking about.

Every time since that I see something that tickles my fancy, I get the rush of anticipation that the thought of owning it brings. And then I pick up the SL or the M-D, and realize that I'm just being stupid: I can take the photo just as nicely right now with what's in my hands.

Film cameras: Well, I haven't needed anything else since I re-acquired my Hasselblad V system setup. Done, nothing else necessary. Although I continue to play with my dedicated pinhole camera and my polaroid cameras, it's for the joy of their inconsistency and defects.

G

Old 07-04-2017   #6
Pioneer

I had a very recent, very short, affair with that Pentax camera while roaming the store. But I came home and pulled my beloved little Pentax ist D out of the drawer. Beautifully clear viewfinder complete with all that 6 megapickel CCD goodness. Astonishingly light and very easy to handle. Still good for some marvelous 8x10 prints, and now with improved processing software, amazingly detailed 13x19 prints. And the really great part, that 6mp file takes up a whole lot less room on my hard drives, is easier to work with in processing, and backs up far quicker then those big 20mp files do.

So, my GAS has subsided...for now. The object of my desire is at hand and I do not have to wait for the brown box truck to arrive to use it.

But those new Epson printers...I am pretty certain my prints would look much better if I had one of those. Or maybe Freestyle has some new inkjet paper...?

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 07-04-2017   #7
ptpdprinter

It sounds like you have more cameras than you know what to do with. One way to battle to GAS is to whittle your camera gear down to the essentials (one camera and perhaps a backup body for each format, and a selection of lenses), and make a pact with yourself not to buy something else without selling something you have. It needn't be dollar for dollar as long as you are not accumulating more stuff. You need to battle the "too cheap to pass up" approach to acquisition, which is your stated reason for purchasing the Fuji and Pentax.

Old 07-04-2017   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I have Canon 500D and Leica M-E. One is for AF and high ISO, another is for very sharp images under good light.

The only digital camera I'm missing is little 8MP Panasonic with fast Leica zoom in it. It was superior to 8MP iPhone due to the lens. Tiny camera which was taking 400 shots on same battery. Face recognition in 2008. It was one of the last they made with f1.8 on wide end and with tiny body. They don't make this small size with this fast lens anymore.

Old 07-04-2017   #9
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I disagree.

Regards digital cameras, since I acquired the Leica SL and the Leica M-D, I have realized that I am done: I don't need any further 'improvements', I need to make photographs. Any further improvements are beyond my ability to take advantage of and are not worth wasting my energy thinking about.
I really want to believe you, but I don't. I'm pulling for you though!

Old 07-04-2017   #10
Ronald M

GAS is fatal. All you can do is keep it under control. Thinking about an M10 at 74.

Old 07-04-2017   #11
JeffS7444

No matter what you own now, temptations will arise sooner or later, and some of them won't seem like temptations at all, but rather, solid and sensible moves. For instance, a Mk II version of your camera is announced, and it occurs to you that after selling off your old one, the net cost of the new one isn't too bad, you've got renewed warranty coverage and extended the support period for your product hence will get ongoing firmware updates. And just like that, you've convinced yourself that it'd be foolish not to make the switch!

Particularly when dealing with tech toys, it's pretty iffy trying to plan for 5-10 years hence. Paradigms get shifted all the time!

Old 07-04-2017   #12
jsrockit

Just be happy your GAS seem limited to a particular budget... I think you are doing ok.

Old 07-04-2017   #13
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Just watch, it's for real. I have other things I want to do with my money, and photos I want to make.

G

Old 07-04-2017   #14
jsrockit

Good for you. I'm content too and into photography more than gear too.

Old 07-04-2017   #15
Spanik

The problem is that the ideal camera hasn't been made yet. Traveling with 5 cameras isn't really fun (ok, 2 are spares for if my neck gives me troubles).

Old 07-05-2017   #16
dee

Honestly ?
It's nothing to do with what I 'need ' - My Leica Digilux 3 , 7mp , or even a cheap and cheerful Sony A290 [ CCD sensor ] fulfil most of my modest requirements .
Cameras create familiarity and a new enthusiasm , and if I can pick up a new [old] model for less than £250 , I am content - more toys to play with .
At least , they have more purpose than my Dinky Toy collection !!
dee

Old 07-05-2017   #17
KM-25

After doing three big jobs with my M240 in the past two weeks, I finally canceled my M10 order that I put in on February 8th. I'll replace my D810 and D750 with the same cameras with low shutter counts or just have Nikon overhaul them to keep them going.

All my equipment is exactly how I want it, works great and the photographs I make with it are spot on.

I now have zero interest in what gear comes out next....because my photographs are what comes out next.

Old 07-05-2017   #18
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
...more toys to play with.
This seems to be the crux of it.

Old 07-05-2017   #19
dee

This must be a concern for camera manufacturers that existing models are capable of so much .

Old 07-05-2017   #20
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
GAS ("desire") can never be overcome. It is not the object, or end result, that we desire, it is desire itself. Can't get away from it. Sounds cheesy. Just part of being human. Marketing latches onto this like a pitbull! The latest and greatest will do nothing to curb it.

Oh well!
One of our members has this wonderful piece of philosophy in his signature:

“After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.” Dr Spock.

Old 07-06-2017   #21
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
It sounds like you have more cameras than you know what to do with. One way to battle to GAS is to whittle your camera gear down to the essentials (one camera and perhaps a backup body for each format, and a selection of lenses), and make a pact with yourself not to buy something else without selling something you have. It needn't be dollar for dollar as long as you are not accumulating more stuff. You need to battle the "too cheap to pass up" approach to acquisition, which is your stated reason for purchasing the Fuji and Pentax.
Ironically, an opposite approach to deal with GAS is to have a lot of gear. With a lot of choices that have been acquired over time, you have many options for when the whim takes you. Out of the many cameras I've bought over the years, I still have almost all of them, with my family getting just three hand-me-downs. The rest have enough character and variation for me to freely wander from one to another over the course of months and years. I haven't bought a 'hobby' camera for years now (work camera is a different matter, but still almost two years ago).

I have two DSLR's, two film SLR's, two film rangefinders, one digital rangefinder, one Olympus m43, three Panasonic m43, film compacts from Contax, Fuji, Olympus and compacts from Sigma, Ricoh, Fuji and Canon, and lenses of all focal lengths and apertures. There is only one camera which does not give me a flush of happiness; everything else is both useful and enjoyable. And I've got enough to be able to shoot personal projects for a very long time while remaining interested and stimulated by my gear.

Old 07-14-2017   #22
dee

I was a little hasty with declaring the cheapness of the X-Pro 1.
I had played with one in a store when they were Pro money .
I loved it , but it was an impossible dream.
That dream happened to come true - the X-M1 with 16-50 was simply an extension of that comfort zone - the price just made the impossible , possible .
And the Pentax ? Better than my cheap Sonys by far !
dee

Old 06-22-2018   #23
dee

OOPs
Was I really content ?
Enter ... John Lewis Clearance -
I had been watching a Fuji X-T1 16-55 for a year as it was gradually reduced from £1300 past £850 .
If I were so content , would I have been visiting every time we were shopping ?
My X-Pro1 and X-M1 were opportunistic buys .
I appreciate and like them , but wanted the experience of an SLR style Fuji .
It was on at £550 , I considered selling my M8 would be a fair exchange .
With further discounts it was a not inconsiderable £427 but I could not resist.
Maybe I keep the M8 as well ...
... and if the X-T2 at John Lewis goes the same way in a few years ... don't ask !!
dee

Old 06-22-2018   #24
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Variety and turnover is a benefit or a hazard. Just ask Gene Smith, who was pretty much the biggest equipment whore but also one of the world's greatest photojournalists (if not the greatest). He shot with everything, even half frame.

The benefit to an ordinary person is maintaining neuroplasticity; as much as people want to "whittle down," there is a lot of value in creating and executing a project that includes a new variable. I shoot 90% of my pictures with an M240/246 and a couple of 6x9/12 cameras, but I also enjoy grabbing a random camera or lens and making a day project of using it.

The hazard is distraction; if the learning curve gets so steep that you can't learn to take pictures well within a short time, cut back.

Dante

Old 06-22-2018   #25
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
I disagree.

Quote:
Quote:
Just watch, it's for real. I have other things I want to do with my money, and photos I want to make.
Quote:
Good for you. I'm content too and into photography more than gear too.
Time and change are a constant of life. Since this discussion in July 2017, a few things occurred:
  • The Light L16, which I had ante'ed up for in 2015, was delivered in mid-December 2017.
  • By mid-August of 2017, I had pretty much stopped using the SL in favor of the M-D for all but copy work, tabletop, and some long tele work. Turns out I do these kinds of things infrequently enough that the SL and its two spectacular zoom lenses basically sat in the closet unused, turning only about a fifty exposures in almost a year.
  • Polaroid Originals acquired The Impossible Project and re-organized the product line, putting much more development effort into the film and offering just a simplified camera. This re-upped my interest in instant film again, I started shooting more Polaroid SX-70 and derivatives again, and I put money into a Lomo Instant Square. I've thoroughly enjoyed that, put money into the MiNT rangefinder instant and also into an Instax Square back for my M4-2 as well. More use for the M4-2*body would be good! It sits too much (as do my Nikon F and Leicaflex SL...)
  • I returned to riding bicycles and motorcycles a great deal of the time, which means that I no longer have any will to carry heavy, bulky gear other than on very special occasions. The smaller, the lighter ... the better. The Light L16 plays into this beautifully, along with a very small light tripod.

The lack of use of such valuable gear as the Leica SL and its lenses is, to me, a waste of resources. I checked current pricing and found that the depreciation of this gear is such that if I sold it now, I'd have spent only a reasonably modest amount of money for its use in the two-and-some years I was using it. So: the SL system is now up for sale on consignment. That will return a hefty chunk of change to my bank account, but it leaves the gap of what to use for the infrequent macro/tabletop/copy work stuff.

One option is to switch those activities back over to my Olympus kit ... I have sold off a good bit of it, but I still own both the E-1 SLR and the E-M1 EVF bodies, a nice complement of lenses for the SLR (perfectly usable on the EVF as well), and a couple of EVF only lenses as well. That kit is more than competent enough for the niche uses, despite that I've grown accustomed to the 24 Mpixel standard as a baseline for my work. I might just stick with that.

Another option, because I've got the Leicaflex SL and a small remaining complement of Leica R lenses, and the Leica M lenses (for the M-D), is to use part of the SL returns to buy a Leica CL body. I've kept both the M Adapter L and R Adapter M mount adapters too. So I might just sell off all the Olympus gear, buy a CL body, and stick with just that and my R/M lens kit.

As said, Time and Change are a constant in life. Life changed a bit, I'm responding. My photography has changed a whole lot and is beginning to find a new footing, using mostly the same equipment I've been using for the past year or two (Leica M-D) and with the new Light L16 and instant film.

When Change stops, you're dead. Let's keep things changing for a while yet.

G

iPhone 8 Plus
ISO 400 @ f/1.8 @ 1/120 @ 3.99mm

Old 06-22-2018   #26
jsrockit

Quote:

Another option, because I've got the Leicaflex SL and a small remaining complement of Leica R lenses, and the Leica M lenses (for the M-D), is to use part of the SL returns to buy a Leica CL body. I've kept both the M Adapter L and R Adapter M mount adapters too. So I might just sell off all the Olympus gear, buy a CL body, and stick with just that and my R/M lens kit.
Sounds like a decent plan... looks like a great camera.