Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Is There Really Such a Thing as a Pocketable Camera?
Old 02-22-2019   #1
NickTrop

Is There Really Such a Thing as a Pocketable Camera?

Yes! The Olympus XA line! Maybe a couple digitals. But guess what? That's about it. (Yes -- I'm sure there were others maybe -- some Rollei or Minox that I'm sure RFF members will "testily" point out...) For the sake of argument I will thus proclaim, "There are virtually NO truly pocketable cameras -- other than your cell phone..."

Now others will say, the (insert brand, insert camera) is pocketable! Why I carry one in my giant pocketed cargo pants that's weged in there with a shoe horn and requires a pair of long nose pliers to extract.

But who really needs pocketable? It's silly. The solution is simple and thus... Forget you own giant heavy zooms. Getchyer big honkin' DSLR or ever so slighty less honkin' mirrorless, or film rangefinder attach a small, light prime lens. Not one of those new five pounder monstrosities (lookin' at you Sigma Art),

THEN, invest in something called "a camera strap". You might see actors playing photographers using these in old movies from the 60's. The camera hangs over your chest. Be careful. Don't buy a "wrist strap". They are annoying as you'll soon grow tired of having a camera dangling from your wrist all day. You will want to have coffee, enjoy a delicious sandwich, or use a rest room and that can makes things cumbersome. You don't want one of those ridiculous and expensive "sling" things. Please. They're absurd.

Nope. Just a regular camera strap. Leave with a small light prime lens (which means you'll likely have to buy an old one). Forget those small what I call "1/2 cameras" like the Ricoh GR and assorted Fuji whatevers that lop off 1/2 the features (so you can then buy the other 1/2 of your camera as aftermarket accessories at crazy inflated prices.)

The GRs and Fujis are too small! That's right. They're too small for a camera strap, which means you'll be holding them in your hand, have them dangling annoyingly from a wrist strap, or ask your wife or luva to put it in their purse. In fact, you might ask them if they're bringing their larger purse for you to use as a camera bag later in the day.

So to recap. There really aren't any pockatable cameras. 1/2-camera options like the Ricoh GRs and Fuji X-whateveres have horrible ergos because they are too small and light for a camera strap, but too large for your pocket so you have to carry them like a baby all day. Invest in a camera strap, leave the bag at home, carry one small light prime lens of a focal length of your choosing on a full(not half)camera, preferably a full frame DSLR.

Tips
If you're worried you might look geeky with a normal camera strap. I borrowed my "coo' look'" from Jimmy Page, who made his guitar teachers cringe by playing his guitar at knee-level instead of the center of his chest. For some reason this looks coo' but the center of the chest looks silly. I use an extra long strap and sling the camera around my back. Make sure it's leather.

I think the "regular old cameras strap" fell out of favor because of that whole "foreign tourist" thing and you think you'll not look coo'. You're shooting with a film rangefinder from 1966, fer C sakes in a sea of cell phone shooters. You already look ridiculous. Might as wll go with it.

Carry a plastic grocery bag in your back pocket in case it rains.

Here's a good one. Canpis. Leather. $20-ish bucks.

Old 02-22-2019   #2
markjwyatt

The closest thing I have to a pocketable camera is a Konica BigMini HG. It seems to take nice pictures, but I am not a big fan of auto-everything cameras (the the BG has some capability to intervene).

Old 02-22-2019   #3
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Keep in mind that I wear cargo pants - and - rarely use neck straps.

I've attended an all day music fest with my Oly XA nestled in my pants pocket within a Rollei 35 pouch to keep out dust.

My Rollei 35S does well in a pants pocket during my lunch break.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and a Voigtlander Vito II
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 02-22-2019   #4
emraphoto

My GR is in my jeans pocket right now.

Old 02-22-2019   #5
markjwyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
Keep in mind that I wear cargo pants - and - rarely use neck straps.

I've attended an all day music fest with my Oly XA nestled in my pants pocket within a Rollei 35 pouch to keep out dust.

My Rollei 35S does well in a pants pocket during my lunch break.
The Rollei 35S would probably be the ideal pocketable camera for me, personally.

Old 02-22-2019   #6
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
Oh -- c'mon. I've held the GR. Not doubting you but that has to be (a) uncomforable. And (b) what's the point of having an "at the ready" camera that's supposed to be for "capturing the decisisve moment" and "street photography" that's tucked away in your jeans?

Old 02-22-2019   #7
B-9
Devin Bro

My GRDII lives in a pocket.

I agree it’s to small for a traditional neck strap.

Any old wrist strap is more than adequate.

I never minded using neck straps and never once thought I looked funny wearing one.

Now putting on the old Banana Republic Trade Co. Vest with all the pockets and such... that’s when I feel a little goofy. Who needs a bag when you can wear your gear!

Oh and the most decisive moment in my day is choosing a beer from the top shelf or the middle shelf. See the old fridge tends to freeze the top shelf beers, but the bottom shelf tends to be a little warmer. Do I want Ice Cold or just Cold Cold... dilemmas

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 02-22-2019   #8
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjwyatt View Post
The closest thing I have to a pocketable camera is a Konica BigMini HG. It seems to take nice pictures, but I am not a big fan of auto-everything cameras (the the BG has some capability to intervene).
I have come to like point-n-shooters. They're currently the only film cameras I shoot. But I'm very picky. Right now I shoot a Pentax PC35AF. Nothing wrong with program mode. Just point, shoot. The camera gets it right and most of these have slow 35mm lenses that are not the greatest performers at wide apertures anyway.

Old 02-22-2019   #9
shawn

Sometimes a person doesn't want to walk around with a camera around their neck all day.

Pocketable cameras are great to always have a camera readily available while also being more discrete. Nikon Coolpix A fits a shirt pocket easily, as does the Sony RX100, X70, Ricoh GR and such all would too.

For really tiny camera that fits any pocket (even in its hard case) this thing does extremely well.

Shawn

Old 02-22-2019   #10
presspass
filmshooter

Depends on the pocket. My 111a with collapsed Summar or 35 3.5 Elmar will fit easily in a jacket or vest pocket and would probably go in a rear pocket of a pair of jeans. I don't see the point of doing either - too hard to get the camera out when you see something to use it on. I agree with the OP, put a strap on it, sling it around your neck, over your shoulder, or wrap it around your wrist and head out. If you want the ultimate in geekdom, get a fanny pack.

Last edited by presspass : 02-22-2019 at 07:55. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-22-2019   #11
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
My GRDII lives in a pocket.

I agree it’s to small for a traditional neck strap.

Any old wrist strap is more than adequate.

I never minded using neck straps and never once thought I looked funny wearing one.

Now putting on the old Banana Republic Trade Co. Vest with all the pockets and such... that’s when I feel a little goofy. Who needs a bag when you can wear your gear!
Disagree on all counts except last. As I said. Even IF the GR fits in your pocket, what's the point? Wrist straps suck. I agree on point three, but many people do feel funny neck wrist straps.

Old 02-22-2019   #12
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I have fit in my pocket Leica M and LTM with collapsible, pancake lens on it.
Anything like GR, Rolley 35, Smena and many others film and digital are pocketable in soft case. If you are not sissy or at the beach.

Old 02-22-2019   #13
Mackinaw
Think Different

I like my Retina IIC Folder.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 02-22-2019   #14
jamin-b

Fuji Tiara!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Old 02-22-2019   #15
vicrattlehead

Nikon Coolpix A. Wish they would come out with an updated version of it.

Old 02-22-2019   #16
CharlesDAMorgan

My Leica III with Elmar fits perfectly in my shirt pocket.

Enjoyable rant though!

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 02-22-2019   #17
FujiLove

The Olympus XA3 is my most pocket-able camera. I believe the Mju-II is even sleeker. The old Minox sub-minature cameras would have been good candidates, but as you can no longer buy 110 film, those should probably be ruled out.

I'm hoping a guy with custom-made pants for his Pentax 67 replies soon.

Old 02-22-2019   #18
shawn

Minox cameras don't use 110. You can cut down 35mm to reload their cassettes pretty easily. I shoot a Minox B from time to time, great fun.

Shawn

Old 02-22-2019   #19
mpaniagua

umm interesting thread. Give me an idea of other people pocket sizes

For me, when I think of a pocketable camera, usually go for my IIIF with Elmar. Fits well on my pants and jacket. Rollei 35S follow next, although I usually carry that by its hand strap and case.

Tried Olympus Stylus but somehow, being plastic, I'm always worrying about breaking it, so no, not normally my choice for pocketable camera.

Agree about the Retina II.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 02-22-2019   #20
nightfly

I realize this isn't really a discussion but rather a provocation like most of your posts (which for the record I like) but I'll bite and say that a GR either digital or analog, does fit in all but the tightest jean pockets. The analog version isn't much thicker than a roll of film by design. The later digital ones a little thicker.

They certainly fit in the pocket of any sort of jacket. No need for a strap or to ask your significant other to carry. I often throw mine in a pocket when I'm going out at night or don't want to carry anything. But I know you also have a thing against smaller than full frame sensors, which I sorta concur with but the GR is the best compromise I've found.

Old 02-22-2019   #21
Huss

Olympus XA is huge. I use a Rollei A110.
Forget pocketability.
If you cant put a camera in a body cavity, its too big to take with you.

Old 02-22-2019   #22
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Minox cameras don't use 110. You can cut down 35mm to reload their cassettes pretty easily. I shoot a Minox B from time to time, great fun.

Shawn
I don't know why I assumed they use 110 film, other than the shape of the camera being similar to a 110 cassette!

Old 02-22-2019   #23
markjwyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post

Shawn
I have half a Minox B (I need the part that contains the back and meter).Still does not take half pictures though!

Old 02-22-2019   #24
benlees

If you live in a cold place then one of the nice things about winter (and if you have a decent coat) some cameras are indeed pocket-able. A Ricoh gr1 and/or grdiii used to live in my winter coat.

Old 02-22-2019   #25
presspass
filmshooter

Lets look at this the other way. Maybe we need to choose clothing with pockets that suit the cameras we carry. Maybe some day I will find a coat with a big enough pocket to fit my F3/MD4/firing rate converter camera with its mounted 400 2.8 ais lens.

Old 02-22-2019   #26
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

A brass swivel clasp lanyard fitted to one's belt is a darned handy place to quickly attach the wrist strap, when needing both hands free.

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 02-22-2019   #27
jawarden

I had an enjoyable chilly walk in Philly last weekend with a friend. I carried my Hasselblad on its strap, and in my coat pocket was my Holga, which is pocketable in the winter and so light I don't notice it. Great fun, too.

Old 02-22-2019   #28
retinax

There are few truly pocketable AND capable cameras, sure. And I've felt silly for bringing a camera that was pocketable, only to find it lacking for what I wanted to shoot. Just like I've occasionally felt silly for bringing a full sized camera when when there turned out to be nothing to shoot or it got in the way somehow.

That's precisely why truly pocketable AND capable cameras are a big deal. I loved the GR for slipping into a pocket AND delivering everything really needed (except a longer lens from time to time). Extreme case for me is when traveling, meeting locals and going from taking photos to being less of a foreign intruder behind a big glass eye, effortlessly.

Old 02-22-2019   #29
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
That's precisely why truly pocketable AND capable cameras are a big deal. I loved the GR for slipping into a pocket AND delivering everything really needed (except a longer lens from time to time). Extreme case for me is when traveling, meeting locals and going from taking photos to being less of a foreign intruder behind a big glass eye, effortlessly.
That's exactly why the Contax T has caught my eye. Excellent quality lens and it's pocketable too.

Old 02-22-2019   #30
karateisland

I agree with the spirit of the OP--I started buying Fuji cameras because they were small and "pocketable," but wore it on a strap almost all the time. Then I bought a Rolleiflex when I got into film and realized that the MF TLR was no more cumbersome to wear on a strap than the Fujis were, and all bets were off!

Now, my only real consideration is whether the camera/lens/film kit takes up too much space when I'm traveling.

Old 02-22-2019   #31
markjwyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateisland View Post

Now, my only real consideration is whether the camera/lens/film kit takes up too much space when I'm traveling.
Another issue is if you fly, you have to get film/loaded-cameras hand checked (I do at least; don't want my film x-rayed).

Old 02-22-2019   #32
wwfloyd

You can carry a camera that's too big for a pocket and too small for traditional strap. There are neck lanyards that are kind of like long wrist straps -- attach to one camera lug, often adjustable, sometimes with quick release fasteners. I have a handful that were made by Hakuba 12-15 years ago.

Old 02-22-2019   #33
zuiko85

All you've done Nick is get everyone to comment about their personal preference. Which may not be your personal preference. So what. Anyway, 'pocketable', as we have seen means very different things to different folks. Again, so what. If the next guy (or gal) wants to stuff their Nikon F with a unmetered prism and a 45mm GN Nikkor in a cargo pocket it's no skin off mine (or anyone else's) nose.
In short, you can, and do, what you like. And all the other folks can do what they like.

As an aside, I sometimes carry a Pen F (film, of course) and the 25mm f4, while a bit slow, is a nice compact lens. I'd like to have the 38mm f2.8 pancake, but those are too rare and expensive for this cheapskate. This combo is easy to fit in a cargo vest pocket and I use no strap at all when I do want to travel light. But other times I'll use a strap on the same camera.

Old 02-22-2019   #34
Pioneer

It would appear that you do not like to carry cameras in your pocket.

I frequently carry a Leica III with Elmar in my shirt pocket, though my shirt does sag a little from the additional weight.

Additionally, I frequently wear a vest and I own several cameras that will easily fit in my vest pocket, including but certainly no limited to, my Lomo LC-A 120.

My Leica M-A and my Zeiss Ikon easily fit into my jacket pocket assuming I am using a small enough lens. My Cron collapsible or ZM Sonnar fits easily, my Summilux 50 not so easily. In fact I am carrying the Zeiss Ikon with Color Skopar 35 to a basketball game this evening and it will ride in my jacket pocket. I will also be packing a few extra rolls of film, 2 extra lenses (a 90 and a 50), all in my pockets.

I do own a couple of camera bags but they are used more like storage locations for gear I am not currently using. However I do pack my Pentax 645Nii and some lenses around in a large camera bag. That gear is certainly far too large to put in any of my pockets, even in my Parka.

I don't own any pants with cargo pockets so I have no idea what I could carry if I wore those. Hmmm...I wonder if the Pentax would fit in those??

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 02-22-2019   #35
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Try the DxO One. It's half the size of a Rollei 35 and a third the size of an "ultracompact" 35mm p/s.

Old 02-22-2019   #36
Ted Striker

My Fuji GA645 camera fits in my jacket pocket. It's a great travel camera during jacket season.

Old 02-22-2019   #37
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
Either you have huge and baggy jeans, or it is bulging out and uncomfortable. I agree with Nick. That said, I did used to carry the GR in the inside pocket of my jacket and that was completely transparent and easy. To me, that is what I mean when I say pocket-able. Unfortunately, that is only for certain times of the year. Anything heavier than a GR tends to swing in your pocket and that is uncomfortable IMO. So, sure, fit your speed graphic in your special pocket... but just because it can fit doesn`t mean it is practical. Practicality is what Nick is talking about.

Old 02-22-2019   #38
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Olympus XA is huge. I use a Rollei A110.
Forget pocketability.
If you cant put a camera in a body cavity, its too big to take with you.
Since I am not into shoving cameras into my body cavities the Leica III is more than small enough for me.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 02-22-2019   #39
David Hughes
David Hughes

We can't get the film these days but the top of the range APS cameras were truly pocketable and had decent lenses. That made me think of the Contax Tix and wonder about the 35mm Contax P&S sized ones. And there was the Leica mini and so on. But I'm mostly using the XA2...

Regards, David

PS Our great great grandfathers were better off, there was the Ensignette by Houghton.

Old 02-22-2019   #40
splitimageview

how big is a pocket?