Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Guardian: Vivian Maier
Old 07-26-2019   #1
FPjohn

Guardian: Vivian Maier

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...hy-in-pictures

yours
FPJ

Old 07-26-2019   #2
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Saw it, Loved it, Thank You for posting !

Old 07-26-2019   #3
raydm6

Thank you for these.

She had an amazing eye, sense of timing, and humor in some of her photographs. Love the one at the hairdressers while she's getting "coiffed".

Would have loved to hang out with her sometime. I bet she had a mischievous sense of humor. But just a guess.

Old 07-26-2019   #4
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Another fine article about Vivian Maier! Thanks for posting!

She had a darn good eye. I've got a couple of the books of her photos that were published: A tremendous lot of lovely photos in them.

G

Old 07-26-2019   #5
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydm6 View Post
Thank you for these.

She had an amazing eye, sense of timing, and humor in some of her photographs. Love the one at the hairdressers while she's getting "coiffed".

Would have loved to hang out with her sometime. I bet she had a mischievous sense of humor. But just a guess.
That's great, not seen that one before

Old 07-26-2019   #6
Timmyjoe

Thanks for posting that FPJ, I had not seen much of her color work. That is really something.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 07-26-2019   #7
Strangefinder

for me she is the best photographer ever.
there is also a great doku about her.

"Finding Vivian Maier"

Old 07-26-2019   #8
Erik van Straten

Brilliant work! I'm so happy that it survived.

Erik.

Old 07-26-2019   #9
rangefinderlove123

It makes me sad that other people are cashing in on her work...

Old 07-26-2019   #10
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

I'll be honest, if Vivian had been posting her photos on flickr I don't think she'd have gotten any special attention outside of maybe a "Here's what New York Looked Like in the 1960's" article.

If she had gone to a publisher or had shows in galleries, she'd be a footnote in a book somewhere today.

I think it's the "discovered" part of the story that hooks people and gets them to actually look at her work with an involved eye. Maier is the Lartigue or Atget of our time. They are all good photographers of course - but I think in today's flood of easily accessible content none of them would gain much notice except by way of their "discovery story" and nostalgic content. There are probably hundreds of other photographers whose equally interesting work is moldering away in the family attic, or was thrown in the dump, unappreciated - which is maybe the most thought provoking part about such stories.

In any event, I see Vivian is using a full ever ready case on her camera - so out the window goes any argument about that apparatus being too cumbersome for real photographers!

Old 07-26-2019   #11
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
I'll be honest, if Vivian had been posting her photos on flickr I don't think she'd have gotten any special attention outside of maybe a "Here's what New York Looked Like in the 1960's" article.

If she had gone to a publisher or had shows in galleries, she'd be a footnote in a book somewhere today.

I think it's the "discovered" part of the story that hooks people and gets them to actually look at her work with an involved eye. Maier is the Lartigue or Atget of our time. They are all good photographers of course - but I think in today's flood of easily accessible content none of them would gain much notice except by way of their "discovery story" and nostalgic content. There are probably hundreds of other photographers whose equally interesting work is moldering away in the family attic, or was thrown in the dump, unappreciated - which is maybe the most thought provoking part about such stories.

In any event, I see Vivian is using a full ever ready case on her camera - so out the window goes any argument about that apparatus being too cumbersome for real photographers!
Similar things have been said of (insert any major street photographer here), invariably by people who really don't understand the genre. To be fair, the selection in this Guardian article isn't representative of her better work and I agree that these are mostly rather mediocre. But her better work is freaking amazing.

Old 07-26-2019   #12
selahsean

Is it just me or does the way The Guardian display images always look really pixelated? I've seen a number of these articles and I always come away thinking why do the photos look this bad? Who is running that site?

Old 07-26-2019   #13
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
Similar things have been said of (insert any major street photographer here), invariably by people who really don't understand the genre. To be fair, the selection in this Guardian article isn't representative of her better work and I agree that these are mostly rather mediocre. But her better work is freaking amazing.

You've misunderstood. Her good work is good. I never implied it wasn't. So is Lartigue's - a few of his are some of the most memorable photographs in history. But once you start collecting photographs, you realize that in all probability there were more like them out there, whose collections have either been scattered or thrown away.

Old 07-27-2019   #14
David Hughes
David Hughes

And these days with digital cameras and phones there are literally hundreds of thousands of photo's and so on. Just wait a few years and be very selective.

Regards, David

Old 07-27-2019   #15
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
And these days with digital cameras and phones there are literally hundreds of thousands of photo's and so on. Just wait a few years and be very selective.

Regards, David

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...Amsterdam.html

Erik Kessels has created this incredible room of pictures after downloading and printing out every picture uploaded to Flickr in 24 hours