Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Being into watches - it's just not the same.
Old 08-07-2019   #1
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Talking Being into watches - it's just not the same.

One of the great things about being a shallow camera gear head, is that it is really quite easy to spot the make and brand of the other guy's camera. Then you can play one up manship in your head as to whether the other guy is cooler than you are or not. Or you can even be an assh&le and put him done cause your rig costs more than his. Owning a Leica almost always guarantees you will be the winner.

Watches, that is a different story. It is next to impossible to tell what brand the next guy's watch is (Apple and Fitbit watches don't count). The labeling is just too damn small and besides if you rubber neck to figure it out, you look like an idiot. So I have decided watches are way less fun to own than cameras.
Nowadays I don't even need to know what time it is, anyway.

Joke or real?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 08-07-2019   #2
Michael Markey

I`ve not worn a watch for over thirty years or more .
They seem very popular .
A contact of mine is very into them though.

https://www.instagram.com/the_icono_man/

Old 08-07-2019   #3
Crazy Fedya

It is the same with watches, as it is with cameras. Camera head can tell the difference between M 2 and M3 from a few feet away. Watch neds can also tell most of watches from a few feets away. May be you are not that much into watches, if you have to crane your neck?

Old 08-07-2019   #4
rodinal
film user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Fedya View Post
Watch neds can also tell most of watches from a few feets away.
Totally true.

Old 08-07-2019   #5
45govt

I am into watches as well as fine cameras, Leica, Hassleblad, Rolleiflex, etc.

Here are a couple of watches that are easy to tell what they are.

One was a X-mas gift when I was in high school and they other I bought new in early 80's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pulsar.jpg (37.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex Submariner.jpg (52.8 KB, 73 views)

Old 08-07-2019   #6
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Fedya View Post
It is the same with watches, as it is with cameras. Camera head can tell the difference between M 2 and M3 from a few feet away. Watch neds can also tell most of watches from a few feets away. May be you are not that much into watches, if you have to crane your neck?
I guess I am just a watch poser. Ugh!

Old 08-07-2019   #7
rob.nyc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45govt View Post
I am into watches as well as fine cameras, Leica, Hassleblad, Rolleiflex, etc.

Here are a couple of watches that are easy to tell what they are.

One was a X-mas gift when I was in high school and they other I bought new in early 80's
Dudeee no date subs represent! I got a 114060. Yours is beautiful. Nice patina on the dial!!!

For what it's worth, I think you absolutely can tell the the make of a watch from far away. I think if you spend the same amount of time looking at watches as cameras, it's the same thing.

Old 08-07-2019   #8
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Old 08-07-2019   #9
45govt

Hey Rob

Thanks, I love the no date, mine is a 5512.

It is crazy how much these go for now, I was at a old west show a few months back and a guy stopped me and asked if I was a watch collector and I took the watch off and let him look at it and he offered me 10k and I said no and a few seconds later he upped it to 12k and then 15k and I still wouldn't sell it, kind of made my day, now it sits in the safe unless I wear it which is not as often now.

Old 08-07-2019   #10
rob.nyc1

Quote:
Hey Rob

It is crazy how much these go for now, I was at a old west show a few months back and a guy stopped me and asked if I was a watch collector and I took the watch off and let him look at it and he offered me 10k and I said no and a few seconds later he upped it to 12k and then 15k and I still wouldn't sell it, kind of made my day, now it sits in the safe unless I wear it which is not as often now.
Wow! It truly is a beautiful piece. I don't think their modern counterparts will age nearly as well.

Old 08-07-2019   #11
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Hey Rob

Was this the Pulsar or the Rolex?

Old 08-07-2019   #12
Takkun
Ian M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.nyc1 View Post
I think if you spend the same amount of time looking at watches as cameras, it's the same thing.
I'm not as much as a watch guy as I wish I was, and admit that most diver watches look pretty similar to me from distance, but I can appreciate the nuances. Not my style, though.

But on that note, went to see Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood last night, and within the first 15 minutes blurted out to my SO that Brad Pitt's Citizen 8110 wouldn't be released for another three years...and then held up mine, which is in bad need of adjustment.

Of course, W&W beat me to it.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 08-07-2019   #13
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I"m not into pickles size measuring. But it is interesting to see what people are using to take pictures with.
As for watches, I care not so much. I have watches from eighties which still works, and few others.
I wear watches because I like to be on time and I hate mobile to check time.
Some watches are now just blank until you push it. This is stupid.

Old 08-07-2019   #14
panerai

I'm more of a watch guy than camera and I can spot a nice watch 10 ft. away just by the case design on many models. Spotting a fake is another story, but some are easy.

I've owned close to 400 watches (mainly vintage) and even taught myself watchmaking to do minor repairs when needed

Currently I only have two and both from the same company

Watch nerds will know the brand

DON

Old 08-07-2019   #15
45govt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Was this the Pulsar or the Rolex?

Hello Akiva

That was the Rolex.

The Pulsar has increased in value but nowhere near as much as the Rolex and the Pulsar has much more wear.

Old 08-07-2019   #16
Emile de Leon

I didnt wear a watch for over 30 years..didnt care too much for all of that..
Then I turned 60..and thought..nows the time..

This year I turned 63..so I added another..
Just like lenses..or tripods..or cameras for that matter..lil toys to please..

Old 08-07-2019   #17
Huss

I tape over the logos of my watches because I just care about using them, not letting other people see what I am using. Plus unless the watch manufacturer is paying me, no way am I going to advertise their brand for free.

Old 08-07-2019   #18
Huss

Is my watch way cooler than anyone elses? I'll let it decide.

You know how cool my watch is? It doesn't tell the time like some chump's Patek Phillipe. It tells the future.

Old 08-07-2019   #19
Archiver

Funny, I look at people's watches all the time, and often pinpoint them to make and rough date of manufacture. If it's a more obvious watch, like a Rolex, Panerai, Audemars Piguet or IWC, it's pretty easy. Even in a Japanese Ricoh GR III promotion, I noticed that the photographer was wearing a Seiko dive watch, probably a Turtle, but with a Marinemaster style waffle strap.

Some years ago, I noticed someone was wearing a new watch. I asked him what it was; he knows I like watches. He smiled a bit smugly and said, 'I don't think you'll know what this is'. I said, 'is it a Franck Muller or Dubey and Schaldenbrand?'. The look on his face was priceless. It was a Franck Muller. Wanker.

Vulcain Cricket
Old 08-07-2019   #20
DwF

Vulcain Cricket

Fun seeing these! I've just recently been wearing a watch that belonged to my dad. He had two of them and they are both working and keeping good time over 50 years later (and after some attention). The alarm is a wonderful and very useful feature, except when I inadvertently set it off at meetings.

Old 08-08-2019   #21
FrozenInTime

No logo on this watch, but , if not brand, Iím sure most could get country of origin and design era from a far.

It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 08-08-2019   #22
Dralowid
Michael

Is there a forum/website for older watches and pocket watches which could help with identification?

Old 08-08-2019   #23
Mute-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
Is there a forum/website for older watches and pocket watches which could help with identification?
https://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php perhaps?

Old 08-08-2019   #24
David Hughes
David Hughes

When I was 14 or 15 I had a holiday job sweeping up in a factory that repaired watches for the Govt. I often swept up watch faces and took a couple home to show people. They were black with white figures and the broad arrow on them; made by Omega, International etc.

Regards, David

Old 08-08-2019   #25
Richard G

I agree with Ko.Fe about the function of a watch. It is is to tell the time, instantly, at a glance. The apple watch is not such a watch. I bought an Oris automatic watch in 2010. I was tired of getting batteries changed in my quartz watch. I never had time so I was wearing my grandfather's Cyma and worried I would damage it. That kept perfect time.

I went into the jeweller's and asked for a steel braceleted automatic waterproof watch with a second hand and a big smooth crown as plain as possible. You're kidding aren't you? Nope. He showed me a Raymond Weil and an Oris. Have you heard of these brands? Yes, at least the Raymond Weil. So you'll take the Raymond Weil? No, I'll take the Oris. Not till the sale went through did the guy see that I was the real deal.

Eventually the watch needed servicing and regulating to keep better time. It is now a few seconds fast per day. Knowing I'd be without it for a few weeks waiting on an important part, I went to the second hand watch dealer next door and looked for another watch to be my backup. I didn't like many. I bought an Oris diver's watch that fitted my requirements. I went outside and sent a photo of it to my son. The Oris 65 he tells me quick as a flash. Mine is the 2015 revival version with the big numbers. It's great. It was within 2 seconds per day accuracy. So now I have two good watches, keeping excellent time. I may never buy another watch. The same cannot be said of my son.

Old 08-08-2019   #26
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
I agree with Ko.Fe about the function of a watch. It is is to tell the time, instantly, at a glance. The apple watch is not such a watch.
I'm not sure why you think the Apple Watch can't show you time at a glance. Once you bring it up to viewing height to look at it, it always shows the time immediately.

Old 08-08-2019   #27
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
No logo on this watch, but , if not brand, Iím sure most could get country of origin and design era from a far.

A sexy pair...

Old 08-08-2019   #28
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I'm not sure why you think the Apple Watch can't show you time at a glance. Once you bring it up to viewing height to look at it, it always shows the time immediately.
That’s correct. And that’s the problem. In front of a client the movement required is gross and obvious. And if you attempt it discreetly nothing happens. The third attempt won’t go unnoticed even if the first two do.

EDIT. Right now it’s working pretty well on this score. But timing something the screen blacks out again. An M2 user wants a mechanical watch.

Old 08-08-2019   #29
CliveC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Thatís correct. And thatís the problem. In front of a client the movement required is gross and obvious. And if you attempt it discreetly nothing happens. The third attempt wonít go unnoticed even if the first two do.

EDIT. Right now itís working pretty well on this score. But timing something the screen blacks out again. An M2 user wants a mechanical watch.
That's why I wear a Pebble. Display always on.

Always wanted a better mechanical watch, but it's a little daunting. So if you choose something affordable (as in under $2000), it probably won't appreciate in value. Plus mechanicals need CLAs just like cameras do, every 10 years, if not less. Might as well go with a classy-looking Timex and not feel quite the loss when it dies.

Old 08-08-2019   #30
Dralowid
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
When I was 14 or 15 I had a holiday job sweeping up in a factory that repaired watches for the Govt. I often swept up watch faces and took a couple home to show people. They were black with white figures and the broad arrow on them; made by Omega, International etc.

Regards, David
The arrow is called a pheon. It is a pocket watch thus marked that I want to find out about.

Old 08-08-2019   #31
Prest_400
Multiformat

Not really into watches. I'm quite satisfied about how reliable and lasting the cheap and 80's Casios, such as the F91w are. Mine survived long dips into sea and wearing it predated the times of carrying the camera down there.

For some reason I have noticed a correlation of Watch and Fountain pen hobbyists, I do enjoy the latter but more as a tool and do not own any fancy FP. Sadly nowadays one does not write that extensively...

Old 08-08-2019   #32
45govt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post

Nice, is it a Laco? WW11 pilot watch with the B dial

Old 08-08-2019   #33
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Nice, is it a Laco? WW11 pilot watch with the B dial
Spot on.
Like the 0-series , a modern reproduction , but they have good provenance to do so.
It's their Leipzig model.

Playing degrees of connection:
Laco was formed in 1925 ; the Leica I was launched at the Leipzig trade show in 1925.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 08-08-2019   #34
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
For some reason I have noticed a correlation of Watch and Fountain pen hobbyists, I do enjoy the latter but more as a tool and do not own any fancy FP. Sadly nowadays one does not write that extensively...

They're all jewelry men can wear but, when everything is for sale, can owning anything really mean anything real? I like every camera I own but I'm not proud of any of them. Some of the images I've produced? Well, that's a test at least.

10360-16030-140

Old 08-08-2019   #35
Saul
fighting inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai View Post
I'm more of a watch guy than camera and I can spot a nice watch 10 ft. away just by the case design on many models. Spotting a fake is another story, but some are easy.

I've owned close to 400 watches (mainly vintage) and even taught myself watchmaking to do minor repairs when needed

Currently I only have two and both from the same company

Watch nerds will know the brand

DON

Can you tell me more about the bands?

Old 08-09-2019   #36
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
The arrow is called a pheon. It is a pocket watch thus marked that I want to find out about.

That's a word you only see in crosswords these days...

Regards, David

PS I found one of the old watch faces a few weeks go, I wonder if I should put it on ebay but it might lead to a nasty fraud.

Old 08-09-2019   #37
Dralowid
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
That's a word you only see in crosswords these days...

Regards, David

PS I found one of the old watch faces a few weeks go, I wonder if I should put it on ebay but it might lead to a nasty fraud.
Although I would like to find out more about this pocket watch I'm not at all sure I want to get into watches, and looking at some websites much of it is about new stuff. Remember the legend going round when children that told that your Smiths luminous watch would rot your bones???

Michael

Old 08-09-2019   #38
David Hughes
David Hughes

Very wise; what it costs to service one and the time it takes to be told they can't get the part can be a shock. Even a simple thing like a new watch glass can cost an arm and a leg.

Regards, David

Old 08-09-2019   #39
panerai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
Can you tell me more about the bands?
Hi Saul,

Straps were made by me. Originally a rust colored leather and second a vintage tan. Both aged over 3 years of use. Also do leather work when I have the time. Been selling straps on the internet since 1997

If you need something. Please send me a PM and will see what I can do

Or email me at [email protected]

Thanks

DON

Old 08-09-2019   #40
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Been into watches since I was a little kid.

One of mine. A gift from my wife.

1970s Doxa Sub.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram