Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 frame spacing
Old 08-15-2019   #1
CharlesDAMorgan

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 frame spacing

This is a gorgeous folder which I occasionally use as a medium format option when overloaded with 35mm kit. The problem though has been the film frame spacing, the advance mechanism perfectly calibrated for Zeiss Ikon film, which was thicker than modern and, of course, not made now.

I'd heard of adding a length of Post It notes on to the film paper backing, but nothing precise, so I stuck a 6cm length on to the Kodak Tmax 400 paper backing and wound that on.

Result just out of the tank - framing perfect, just one missing shot at the start from user incompetence, but a full 12 exposures possible. Apologies for the slight out of focusness but my XT30 hunts a bit in close ups.

Start of film

End of film

Post it length and position (the latter simply to ensure it was tightly wound)

Apologies if this is a solution that others have tried, I was entertained by the serendipity of getting it right with 6cm of Post it first time! Results may well vary with other films.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 08-16-2019   #2
Fjäll

Cool. I've tried modifying my Pentax 6x7 suffering from the same issue without success. I will try this.

Old 08-16-2019   #3
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Well done! - I may have to try this technique with my Perkeo II, which currently yields 13 frames on a roll of 120.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and a Voigtlander Vito II
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 08-16-2019   #4
Huss

Very cool! This maybe a dumb question but dont these. cameras have the red window to show where to wind the film?

Old 08-16-2019   #5
CharlesDAMorgan

They do, and also internal markings, but the problem is in the film advance which is scaled precisely for each frame of old film thickness. As new film and paper backing is thinner, the circumference of the wind on is less than originally designed so over the length of the film the frames run closer (as there is less of a gap) and then overlap. I think my last unadjusted film had 9 usable frames.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 08-16-2019   #6
Steve M.

It would probably be a whole lot easier to wind some tape around the take up spool. That's the recommended fix. In fact, I've never even heard of the way you did it.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/574362...7622843400249/