35mm M Lens Recommendation?
Old 08-16-2019   #1
giganova

35mm M Lens Recommendation?

Hi all!

I'm looking for 35mm M lens to complement my 21/SA and 50/Rigid because I thought a 21/35/50 would be a sweat combo. Not sure whether I'd benefit from Aspherical because I shoot B&W film only.

Any recommendations? Any age/period, but made in Wetzlar is preferred (sorry Canadians!) to match my M4s.

Old 08-16-2019   #2
Erik van Straten

Must it be Leica? If Voigtländer is also good, I recommend the Ultron asph 35mm f/1.7, the later model of the LTM (black paint) or the newer M version.

Erik.

(lhe lower lens)

Old 08-16-2019   #3
a.noctilux

Period correct and for the sake of Leitz/Wetzlar to use with M4/S-A 21 / Rigid 50, very simple (for me as I use them all ! ) ,

I would buy one of those Summicron 35mm ( " I " so called 8 element in silver, or II/III or even IV , in black why not ) and if budget for less, Summaron 2.8/35 in silver can be just fine for HP5+ or TriX
if you want something nice/small/open wide Summilux-M 1.4/35 for a bit more money.

Anyway, each one can't be bad ...

Old 08-16-2019   #4
Greg Maslak

If you don't count the late M4s from 75, some of which were made in Canada anyway, then period correct 35s would be the Summilux and the first two versions of the Summicron. These are all Walter Mandler lenses originating at ELC in Midland. I don't know if you could find a Summilux without Canada on it, but you could certainly choose either of the other two as "Made in Germany". I'd love a goggled 8 element myself regardless of the camera. One thing though, if you have not done so, best check the serial number of your M4s. Only the last and very rare batch of Canadian M4s are engraved Midland. All the others say Wetzlar on the top, even if they were made in Canada.

Old 08-16-2019   #5
Ccoppola82

Summaron 35 2.8 for the beautiful tonal BW work, Cron v3 for Color/BW. The Summaron looks/feels more period correct next to a 50 rigid if that matters. Some of the most beautifully built lenses I own.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 08-17-2019   #6
giganova

Great suggestions, thanks!

I had a Summaron that I foolishly sold last year. But my next lens needs to be faster than f/2.8 so I can take more pictures indoors with less available light.

What do you think about the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 Nokton SC "Classic" or 35mm f/2 Ultron Aspherical "Vintage"? That would save me at least a grant over a Summicron and it would give me more time to hunt for great Leica glass. They are both incredibly beautiful and small, and from what a read, great performers.

Old 08-17-2019   #7
dourbalistar

I have the multi-coated version of the CV 35/1.4 Nokton. It's a fine lens, and quite compact. Some would consider it a "character lens", particularly wide open, and that may or may not be something you're after. Stopped down a bit, it behaves more normally. If you shoot lots of straight lines at the edge of your frame, beware there's a bit of barrel distortion.

Anyway, there's an image thread here on the forum, and I have some examples on my flickr as well:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...ad.php?t=89571

flickr

Old 08-17-2019   #8
madNbad

Having recently purchased a Voigtlander 35 2.0 Ultron ASPH, there is a lot to like about it. Its small size, the tabbed aperture ring making setting the stops easy with the fitted hood, it offers half stops and the little arm added as a focusing aid has a solid feel. Having owned and used a 35 Summicron ASPH for years, I like the handling of the Ulton better. If you're using it for B&W it would be hard to differentiate between the two. Spend the money for the optional hood. It bayonets on and off and is very solid. Leica didn't offer a hood nearly as good for the Summicron ASPH until the latest release. It works well on my M4, the few rolls I've taken with it look pretty good. Good luck with your search.

Old 08-17-2019   #9
Ccoppola82

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Great suggestions, thanks!

I had a Summaron that I foolishly sold last year. But my next lens needs to be faster than f/2.8 so I can take more pictures indoors with less available light.

What do you think about the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 Nokton SC "Classic" or 35mm f/2 Ultron Aspherical "Vintage"? That would save me at least a grant over a Summicron and it would give me more time to hunt for great Leica glass. They are both incredibly beautiful and small, and from what a read, great performers.

If barrel distortion bothers you, avoid the nokton 35 1.4. I have one for lowlight/indoor and actually like it quite a bit for people or anything less critical. I would opt for the v2 to avoid focus shift if I had a choice. I love how compact it is and I very much prefer the tab to the focus stick of the Ultron. I think, as in most cases it really depends on what you value in a lens. The more I have gotten into photography, the more I wear a camera, thus I've noticed myself favoring small/ergonomic lenses and will trade some IQ in order to get that. I refuse to carry a large lens around anymore while there are smaller options on the table that perform 90% as well as the bulkier options. I'm on a trip right now and Have the 35mm v3 cron and 90 tele elmarit w my m6. I chose It because there's more landscape stuff included in this trip and the cron behaves better than the nokton for that application.

In the end, just buy what your budget is comfortable with, be happy, and go shoot as much as possible. I doubt anyone important to you that views your images will notice a difference.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 08-17-2019   #10
giganova

Well, I do like character in a lens -- to some extent. The photos with me 50/Rigid and 21/SA are beautiful in that they are not tack sharp, light seems to bleed into darker areas, which gives them a softer feel with more definition in the shadows and good contrast for b&w (not too high a contrast, just the right amount). I once had a CV 21/Color Skopar that was insanely sharp and shadows where pitch black, to the point where it didn't fit my photography style.

While I do love the rendering of Leica glass in general, it is hard to justify spending $1.5k for a used Summicron or almost $2.5k for a Summilux.

I am also in the market for a black (either black chrome or paint/repainted) M4, and if I'd add a Summicron, then I am looking at a ~$4k bill. Hence my idea that maybe I should get a 35mm Nokton or Ultron first to see how I like it and save at least a grand, then take it from there if I still want Leica glass.

Old 08-17-2019   #11
giganova

Strangely, a slightly used latest-version 35/2 Summicron Aspherical can be had for the same price as a 50 year old one (around $1.6k). Weird!

Old 08-17-2019   #12
Ccoppola82

Quote:
Strangely, a slightly used latest-version 35/2 Summicron Aspherical can be had for the same price as a 50 year old one (around $1.6k). Weird!
I think my v3 w hood was 1100 in very good condition. I picked it over the asph mainly for the size. It’s a very small lens. The Nokton is about the same size but with a 43mm filter vs the 39mm of the Cron.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 08-17-2019   #13
giganova

Found and bought a nice 35/2 Summicron.

Thanks, astrobuoy!

Old 08-17-2019   #14
Ccoppola82

Quote:
Found and bought a nice 35/2 Summicron.

Thanks, astrobuoy!
Awesome. Which version did you end up with?

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 08-18-2019   #15
giganova

astrobuoy sold me his V3 Summicron from 1976 that he had recently cleaned/lubed/calibrated by Leica:

Old 08-18-2019   #16
Erik van Straten

Quote:
I am also in the market for a black (either black chrome or paint/repainted) M4

I like this one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/LEICA-M4-RF-...W/192962720602

Old 08-18-2019   #17
giganova

Thanks, Erik, that’s a beauty. I will probably get one of these three, the one you suggested or one of the two below. I’ve contacted all three sellers and they have all made me offers below BIN.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Near-M...5/132997941531

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Mint-Le...n/392330138534

Old 08-18-2019   #18
madNbad

A week after I paid a premium for a “LN” M4 from an online dealer (won’t mention the work it needed) an older gentleman walked into a local shop with a box of gear. I missed out on a basically unused black chrome M4 with an end of the run serial number. Not only still in the box but with the finder upgraded to include the 75mm frame lines and it sold for $900. Better luck next time.

Old 08-18-2019   #19
giganova

Yeah, but you would still need to send it off for a CLA, especially if it was not used, and add $300-400 plus shipping — if there is nothing wrong. If you add that, it isn’t really that good of a deal.