Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Leica NJ repair cost on electronics on an M7?
Old 08-17-2019   #1
chaospress

Leica NJ repair cost on electronics on an M7?

My 17 year old M7 has been underexposing a bit from the left edge of the frame and across about 1/8 of the image, so that part of the image is darkened.
It only happens on about 1 or 2 frames per roll of film. I'm almost always shooting at one of the 3 fastest shutter speeds, usually on manual.

A well known top independent Leica repairman who I always send my repairs to adjusted and tested the shutter extensively which didn't fix it, and says it could be an erratic main circuit board or possibly an erratic shutter magnet. I have it now and the option is to send it to Leica NJ, who will assess it for free and then give me the cost if I want it repaired.

Anyone have a similar issue and/or want to make a guess at what they'll charge to fix it?

Thanks...

Old 08-17-2019   #2
Huss

Where does it happen on the roll of film? Does it happen on consecutive images? Certain shutter speeds?
Who is the Leica repairman - so others who have an M7 know of a resource for maintenance.

Old 08-17-2019   #3
chaospress

Where it happens is random and I don't know what shutter speeds, except as I mentioned fast speeds are usually what I shoot at. It was tested on all shutter speeds though.

Maybe this is silly but I feel like I should get permission from the repair person to post their name here, simply because I think their workload is extremely heavy already.

Old 08-17-2019   #4
yossarian123
Sam I Am

Just as an FYI - I just sent mine in for an erratic shutter. The shutter would occasionally not fire except on manual speeds. In the end, they are replacing the DX reader (it was already optical) and "adjusted shutter speeds". Total was $500 - I was told it would take 6 weeks so just waiting around for that work to finish.

Old 08-17-2019   #5
yossarian123
Sam I Am

I also sent mine in to a non-leica repairman first - the problem with the M7 is that the tools used to read and diagnose the electronics have never been available to anyone outside of Leica. So there's only so much that can be done - if the fault happens to lie in the board then you have to send to Leica.

Old 08-17-2019   #6
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian123 View Post
Just as an FYI - I just sent mine in for an erratic shutter. The shutter would occasionally not fire except on manual speeds. In the end, they are replacing the DX reader (it was already optical) and "adjusted shutter speeds". Total was $500 - I was told it would take 6 weeks so just waiting around for that work to finish.
Did you ship it directly to Leica NJ? Or go through a dealer?

Old 08-19-2019   #7
yossarian123
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Did you ship it directly to Leica NJ? Or go through a dealer?
I went directly to Leica.