Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Canon 35/1.5: A Tribute
Old 02-17-2007   #1
trittium

Canon 35/1.5: A Tribute

I was paroozing ebay when I came across a listing for this lens. I currently have one, but the seller said there were only 48 made (which I find hard to believe). I googled the lens trying to find where this seller took this information from. In my search I found many forums saying that is this more a collectors lens than a quality optic for shooting. I strongly disagree with the opinion of masses. I wanted to give a tribute to my favorite 35mm that has captured so many fond memories

Even on the first test roll I knew this lens was special. After shooting and developing the following photo, I realized after that I should have helped this blind man cross the road instead of just take his photo. It enspired change.

It brings back memories of a wonderful summer Night in NYC

It has brought me laughter......

and it has brought me pain

And you helped me to show people for who they really are....

And helped me to realize myself

Thank you canon 35/1.5. You are more then a collectable. You are a piece of my history

If you want to see some of my photos you can go to http://flickr.com/photos/trittium/

Some Digital Art Here
http://flickr.com/photos/tri77ium/

M2, Hexar RF, Leica IIIC, Leica IIIf RD ST, Leica IIF RD too many lenes
Mamiya 6 folder, Certo Dolly Super Sport RF
Voigtlander Alpin, Calumet 4x5, Robot Star 50, Robot II, Robot Star, oh yeah and a crappy minolta digital camera

Old 02-17-2007   #2
wintoid
Back to film

Fantastic, great post

Old 02-18-2007   #3
Brian Sweeney

Beautiful shots and its easy to see why you like this lens so much.

I suspect others might copy your idea to post similar threads on their favorite lens.

Very well done!

Old 02-18-2007   #4
raid
Dad Photographer

This is a beautiful presentation. Well done.
Now the price of the Canon 35mm/1.5 will increase even more.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-18-2007   #5
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

those are lovely photos .
that lens gives a very unique look, esp. at f1.5 .
it would be a great shame if the Canon 35/1.5 is just collected and not used.

Production figures
Old 02-18-2007   #6
harry01562
Registered semi-lurker

Production figures

First, your small portfolio is certainly a tribute to the lens, and to you as a photographer. Some very nice shots, certainly showing off a very good optic.

Now, as to production... Randol Hooper in his series of articles in Viewfinder lists the production of the lens at 5389, first marketed Aug. 1958 and discontinued Dec. 1970. These sound much more appropriate for the lens.

I've never used the 1.5, and enjoy using my 35/2. It would be sad to see what appears to be yet another underappreciated Canon lens be a collectible shelfsitter. Hopefully, you've stimulated a few shooter to go out and find one of these to put to good use.

Harry
Contax IIa, IIIa, Rollei 2.8f, Ansco Auto Reflex, Crown 2x3, Speed 2x3, Busch 2x3, Mamiya G
So many cameras, so little time

Old 02-18-2007   #7
Chad

I have one of these Canon 35mm f/1.5 lenses on my Canon 7. I haven't had much luck with it but then again, I don't know much about photography. I haven't gotten a picture back that looked anywhere close to as sharp as the first picture posted by trittium.

First picture is at f/1.5, 1 second, 400 film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 400asa_005.jpg (47.3 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg 400asa_006.jpg (69.8 KB, 306 views)

Old 02-18-2007   #8
trittium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I have one of these Canon 35mm f/1.5 lenses on my Canon 7. I haven't had much luck with it but then again, I don't know much about photography. I haven't gotten a picture back that looked anywhere close to as sharp as the first picture posted by trittium.

First picture is at f/1.5, 1 second, 400 film.
Sharpness also depends on the film and developer you use. That was shot on ilford panf and developed in d-76. The night shot in NYC was shot on ilford hp5 and developed in diafine (iso 800). If you are looking for sharper images try using rodinal. I purchased some, but have not used it. This developer is know to increase the sharpness of slow speed films (<200iso)

If you want to see some of my photos you can go to http://flickr.com/photos/trittium/

Some Digital Art Here
http://flickr.com/photos/tri77ium/

M2, Hexar RF, Leica IIIC, Leica IIIf RD ST, Leica IIF RD too many lenes
Mamiya 6 folder, Certo Dolly Super Sport RF
Voigtlander Alpin, Calumet 4x5, Robot Star 50, Robot II, Robot Star, oh yeah and a crappy minolta digital camera

Old 06-07-2007   #9
Sonnar2

I had it on my wishlist for 3 years, and finally bought it at Westlicht auctions last week... it's the nicest Canon 35mm lens, what do you think?

What I like most on it is the compact, short size. Yes I once owned the Voigtlander 1.7/35 (always hated the handling). I've loaded my P with color film and doing some shots currently. Probably it will show flare with backlite, as with any Gaussian type wideangle with f/2 or faster. The W-50 hood was already waiting in my cabinet, but probably not big enough for the big glass. Besides, even not a Gaussian design, the 1.7/35 is flaring badly. And what I've heard, the old Summilux 1.4/35 flares as well...

Last edited by Sonnar2 : 06-07-2007 at 01:55.

Old 06-07-2007   #10
Sonnar2

I don't know what these "R..." classifications of Peter K. exactly mean, but I have some production figures on hand by Randol Hooper, "The other 35". Some CANON RF lenses ( I cite these who sounds reasonable to me)

50/0.95: 17,439
100/3.5 (black series): 16,498
50/1.5 (all versions): 13,020
28/2.8: 5,839
35/1.5: 5,389
25/3.5: 5,371
100/2: 3,980
85/1.8: 1,852
85/1.5 (Ser. II): 1,199
19/3.5: 980

Giving the fact that the 35/1.5 is a screwmount lens, was the fastest wideangle lens of the world in the late 1950's and came from a company coming close to Leica RF sales figures one cannot expect the 35/1.5 beeing particulary rare, which it wasn't.

Old 06-12-2007   #11
Sonnar2

I want to crosslink for Raid's beautiful portaits, shot with the Canon 1.5/35 wide open. Regardless it's speed, due to short length it could be a "everyday 35mm" for me...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...=38002&page=12

Old 06-12-2007   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnar2
I want to crosslink for Raid's beautiful portaits, shot with the Canon 1.5/35 wide open. Regardless it's speed, due to short length it could be a "everyday 35mm" for me...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...=38002&page=12

Thanks!

Now I am becoming sentimental; I had to send back this lens to its owner. It felt like sending back a "friend". I have had the fortune to be allowed to try out quite a few fine lenses, but there a few lenses that I would start budgeting for. This is one of those lenses. Its size is very manageable, unlike the Canon 50/0.95 which impressed or the Nikkor 50mm/1.1 which is awesome too.

Raid

Old 06-12-2007   #13
dreamsandart

Like many 'collectable' lenses, they actually are still wonderful to make photographs with. It may not be 'as good' as one of the modern lenses, but as you have shown it has more to do with the photographer.

Old 06-13-2007   #14
Sonnar2

I understand it, Raid. I looked 3 years for the lens. Even with strong EUR, the "2nd invoice" from the customs becoming more and more expensive... strange enough, I bought it from this auction house in Vienna (Never thought I would do such sort of things; now I becoming a collector...). Even including the premium it was cheaper than current prices in US ebay.
These are three of my first shots with the 1.5/35, I think @f/2.8 with my Canon P and Fuji200. I had the W50 hood on but there were sun-spots shining through the twigs which probably caused the reflections. I like them too...
Later this evening at BBQ dinner I shot wide open but this was just too dark (no candle lightning). Pictures becoming unsharp except the center, this don't look good with 3 people in the scene, and significant light falloff to the corners. Probably you need a strong center motive when using it wide open. But I can imagine the old Summilux 35/1.4 isn't simple lens to learn using it wide open either...

I think I will use this lens much more at f/2-2.8 range than my Canon 2/35 (which I use mainly at f/8), and keep the extra-stop when there is really a need for it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valeria_Jun07_Kueche_1.jpg (174.3 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg valeria_Jun07_See_0.jpg (199.2 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg valeria_Jun07_See_1.jpg (215.4 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by Sonnar2 : 06-13-2007 at 00:32.

Old 06-13-2007   #15
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnar2
I understand it, Raid. I looked 3 years for the lens. Even with strong EUR, the "2nd invoice" from the customs becoming more and more expensive... strange enough, I bought it from this auction house in Vienna (Never thought I would do such sort of things; now I becoming a collector...). Even including the premium it was cheaper than current prices in US ebay.
These are three of my first shots with the 1.5/35, I think @f/2.8 with my Canon P and Fuji200. I had the W50 hood on but there were sun-spots shining through the twigs which probably caused the reflections. I like them too...
Later this evening at BBQ dinner I shot wide open but this was just too dark (no candle lightning). Pictures becoming unsharp except the center, this don't look good with 3 people in the scene, and significant light falloff to the corners. Probably you need a strong center motive when using it wide open. But I can imagine the old Summilux 35/1.4 isn't simple lens to learn using it wide open either...

I think I will use this lens much more at f/2-2.8 range than my Canon 2/35 (which I use mainly at f/8), and keep the extra-stop when there is really a need for it...
These are lovely photos. The OOF points look very interesting too.
I started using the war time Zeiss 50/2 for a vintage look, and I will next use a few FSU lenses to see if I can detect any optical diferences between them and lenses like the Summicron.
As for the Canon 35/1.5, I hope that I one day mnanage to find a very clean one.

Raid

Last edited by raid : 06-13-2007 at 16:47.

Old 10-18-2007   #16
Sonnar2

Just for trivia, I managed to buy another "Canon 35/1.5 Linse" from German ebay, out of Wetzlar (did they sell bad Canon stuff in Leicatown those days?). This was a very strange auction, strange description, and because the price jumped in the very few last seconds from 54 EUR to 224. I bought my first at WestLicht for 400 EUR incl. all costs.

IMHO, the 35/1.5 is currently highly underrated. There is no better Canon 35 at f/2.8 in terms of sharpness, color tonality and OOF behavior.

Old 10-18-2007   #17
matt fury

Still looking for my first one here. Although, I have gotten my hands on a Canon 35/2.

Old 10-23-2007   #18
bcostin

It's hard to argue with pictures like those. Some great shots there. The second one, the NYC summer night, has fantastic atmosphere.

Old 10-23-2007   #19
john neal
fallor ergo sum

I had a minty one of these for about about a month, and did not like the results - swapped it for a 35mm f2 summicron (4th). I like the 'cron much more. Subsequently, I have landed a 35mm f1.8 canon in ltm and actually prefer the results from that to the 1.5.

I guess if I could find another at the right price, I would buy so that I had the extra speed in the bag when I need it.

John

Old 10-27-2007   #20
raid
Dad Photographer

I still haven't gotten by Canon 35/1.8 cleaned from inside.
Great little lenses deserve good care.

Old 11-04-2007   #21
Paul C. Perkins, MD
Perk11350

Once upon a time I had a 35mm F:1.8 Nikkor in LTM mount. I used it for twenty plus years and was never dissatisfied. But I had a 50mm F:1.2 Canon and a 100mm F:2.0 Canon. The Nikkor seemed out of place. I knew there existed an F:1.5 35mm Canon . . .

I put the Nikkor out on "EVIL-BAY" and was positively stunned at the price it finally commanded.

I bought my 35mm F:1.5 Canon and have been happy ever since. I'm the second owner - the original having bought it in 1962.

As for its' rarity? I've never seen another. Hell - aside from the 50mm F:1.2 Canon, I've never seen another of any of my Leica/Canon gear.

Thanks for the thread.

Paul

Old 09-29-2009   #22
Koni Kowa

Hi guys, first thank you for this thread. Then, I own a Canon 35mm f/1.5 LTM myself and I really love this lens. In fact it's certainly my favorite one, all mounts.

I've just found a M-Summilux 35mm f/1.4 1rst version (non-asph), so I hope I'll be able to compare them soon. Summi is pretended to be quite soft wide open, but to me it should be better in B&W than the Canon 35mm f/1.5.

After 18 months using it in every day use, I find the Canon not so good in B&W, compared to the 35mm f/2 for example (a real Summicron killer with incredible bokeh WO). But for colours, with slides films, I must say I just L O V E the Canon 35mm f/1.5 LTM. I noticed the same thing with the Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM : very 'milky' with flare in B&W at wide apertures, I did not like it very much, but with colors...

Dante Stella, who seems to like Canon LTM lenses, wrote :

We accept that a F/1.4 lens is tougher to make than an F/2.

Probably easier with a longer than a shorter lens. There are several brilliant choices, for instance, in an 85 /1.4 lens: Contax Planar, Leica R Summilux, Nikon, Minolta... they are all expensive, have fantastic 'build quality', and deliver wonderful, EQUAL, images. And all must be used wide open to show off their unique image properties: a fine F/2 lens is as-good-or-better at any aperture smaller than F/2.8. And I'll suggest there is less difference between F/1.4 and F/2 performance at 85mm than at 50mm, and less at 50mm than 35mm.

I'm sure he's right, and comparing the 50mm f/1.2 to the 35mm f/1.5 suddenly makes sense, don't you think ?

FYI, Peter Kitchingman talks about 5537 copies of this lens.

Old 09-29-2009   #23
bennyng
Benny Ng

Very nice images from everyone!

There was a Canon 35mm f/1.4 LTM that never quite made it to production. Does anyone know why Canon went with 1.5 instead of 1.4? Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Old 09-29-2009   #24
John Shriver

The Canon 35/1.4 was almost certainly a prototype for the 35/1.5. Looks mechanically identical. They probably decided that they couldn't make it sharp enough at 1.4.

Old 09-29-2009   #25
DSikes

You guys aren't helping my GAS problem right now

Old 09-29-2009   #26
raid
Dad Photographer

I have the Canon 1.5 trio: 35-50-85.
Which one do I like the most? Make a guess.

Old 09-30-2009   #27
Koni Kowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyng View Post
There was a Canon 35mm f/1.4 LTM that never quite made it to production. Does anyone know why Canon went with 1.5 instead of 1.4? Any information would be appreciated.
Are you sure of this, Benny ? I've never heard about and PK does not mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I have the Canon 1.5 trio: 35-50-85.
Which one do I like the most? Make a guess.
I guess it's the 50mm f/1.5... you alone are responsible of the increase of this lens... ha ha...

I would like to have the 50mm f/1.5 but I already have the 50mm f/1.4 : I think it's at least as sharp and it has a wonderful bokeh.

Concerning the 85mm f/1.5 : it has to be a great portrait lens, but I've heard that the f/1.8 version is better. The 100mm f/2 also has a great reputation. Raid, your 85mm f/1.5 looks really nice and it's a good deal at this price.

Last edited by Koni Kowa : 09-30-2009 at 02:18.

Old 09-30-2009   #28
raid
Dad Photographer

I am only selling it because I need the cash to buy another lens. The 85 1.5 is a very nice lens. I traded off the Canon 100/2 for a Canon 50/1.5. I sold the Canon 50/1.4. It is a great lens, as you said.

Old 09-30-2009   #29
Sonnar2

No one knows about that lens except some owners. I wondered if someone saved the yahoo Japan auction pictures of probably one of the prototype lenses (35/1.4) sold about 5 years ago.

Old 09-30-2009   #30
John Shriver

Yeah, I saved pictures of the Canon 35/1.4 prototype, and no, I'm not going to play tag with the DMCA police by posting them here. It was from January 2006.

Old 09-30-2009   #31
TWoK
-

Ha ha ha, are you seriously worried about the DMCA?

Old 10-01-2009   #32
John Shriver

I respect other folks' Copyright rights. As someone who has made money off of Copyrighted materials...

Old 10-10-2009   #33
Koni Kowa

Superb, TWoK !

Old 10-10-2009   #34
Nokton48

I have the 35mm F2, but I want this lens, too!

Lovely out of focus and character IMO.

Old 10-10-2009   #35
Koni Kowa

Canon 35mm f/2 is better in B&W, Canon 35mm f/1.5 is better in colors.
I.M.O. too...

Old 10-10-2009   #36
raid
Dad Photographer

I find that using Fuji Reala 100 with the Canon 35/1.5 has potential for resulting in pastel-like colors that look great.

For B&W I prefer the first version Summicron 35mm 2.0with eight elements.It has a nice balance of "everything".

Old 10-11-2009   #37
Koni Kowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
For B&W I prefer the first version Summicron 35mm 2.0 with eight elements. It has a nice balance of "everything".
It's not the same price at all, Raid...

Old 10-15-2009   #38
TWoK
-

@f/2.8 or so:

Old 10-16-2009   #39
Koni Kowa

Wow. I love all the pics you post, really... Go ahead !

Old 10-16-2009   #40
TWoK
-

Thanks, I appreciate it.