Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 03-15-2019   #3721
Uncle Brian

I like the Winder 2 as it makes the camera easier to hold but I dislike the look and hate the extra weight and that terrible noise. Good for shooting when the noise doesn't matter too much because it does a great job. Funny thing is that at one time I would have loved the noise as it sounded more like a pro camera

Old 03-24-2019   #3722
j.scooter

OM4T Zuiko 28 F2

Old 04-21-2019   #3723
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
Harbourfront, Toronto last weekend.
Camera: Olympus OM-1md, Zuiko 50 f1.4 silver nose lens.
Film: Kodak Ektar 100.
Another View of the Trillium by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Welcome to Sugar Beach by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Same camera and film on the same day with a 28 f2.8 Zuiko lens.

Under the Gardiner at Yonge 3 by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Stone Eagle on the Wall by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Old 06-24-2019   #3724
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Poland - June 2018
ilford HP5+ in HC110
Olympus OM-2n Zuiko 28f/3.5

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 06-25-2019   #3725
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

ilford HP5+ in HC110
Olympus OM-2n Zuiko 28f/3.5

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 06-26-2019   #3726
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Fomapan 200 in HC-110 (Dilution H)
Olympus OM-2n

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 06-26-2019   #3727
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
Hi Peter, I'm not sure if my reply is any good after a while but the OM Zuiko 100/2.8 is a very practical focal length for me and wide open I find it rather sharp in detail although just a touch lower contrast wide open but that is no problem. The out of focus areas are really smooth for it's type and the angle of view very practical. The colour is consistent like all Zuiko's and the contrast is good to excellent from f4. The best thing is the size. It is a small and light lens. Practical and easy to carry. A joy to use. I prefer the later multi-coated versions because they tend to work best on digital I find, like my Sony a7. Sharpness is plenty good, I cannot see how one cannot acquire a sharp image with it. Even wide open, slight increase in contrast in Photoshop or what ever is not an issue. It does not render like an 85/2 or Sonnar type, if you want a Sonnar - well, you know who you are but this is one of the best little telephoto lenses out there. If used on digital, the contrast is just right even wide open.

Here are some examples:

Sony a7, OM Zuiko 100/2.8 MC @ f2.8, VSCO Astia Filter

Wallaroo Sunset and Pine Silhouette

Wallaroo Sunset

Sports Day Portrait
Sony a7, OM Zuiko 100/2.8 MC @ f2.8, VSCO Provia Filter
Teddy hi and thank you for this. I discovered your response belatedly. And its good to hear from another South Aussie.

I think I agree with you on the 100mm f2.8. It has a very "clean" and modern rendering which I would certainly not complain about. It makes it perfect as a walkabout longer standard lens. I have a soft spot for 100mm lenses in any event for some reason and this one is right up there. You are correct in saying it is not like a Sonnar - it does not have that kind of Sonnar character. But as as lens for everyday use its perfect. In particular I like its tiny size and how it "sits" on digital mirrorless cameras.

Since then I have gone out of my way to acquire a couple of other Olympus lenses too. The first is a 135mm f3.5 (135's tend to be cheap to buy but good - though I have not yet had a chance to test it properly yet I expect the same of this one.) The second is a 35-70mm f3.6 (yes - f3.6) zoom. This is supposed to be their best performing 35-70mm being the "pro" one with a non variable maximum aperture. But for an OM lens its a monster - both comparatively big and heavy. Though still not overly big by the standards of other SLR systems. Again, I have been out of action photographically for a few months and am yet to really give it a run. My initial impression though is while optically it is excellent, on an M4/3 its slowish maximum aperture makes it a bit harder to nail correct focus requiring the viewfinder image to be enlarged as focus peaking will not always show.

Another non OM Olympus I am using and really like is the little Auto T 100mm f3.5 for the Pen FT system. It is tiny but sharp and nice to work with.

The Olympus systems are ones I have not tried much until the above lenses came into my life and i can say they are very good. I am certainly not disappointed.

Old 06-27-2019   #3728
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Olympus OM-2n

Zuiko 50 f/1.4

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 06-27-2019   #3729
tungba

Nice one...got to be quick!

Old 07-03-2019   #3730
Fraser

Just ran a roll of film through one of my Om4s last week reminded me how good the om lenses are, I'm now in the process of selling all my Nikon F stuff but I'm keeping the OM stuff!

Old 07-06-2019   #3731
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Zuiko 50 f/1.4 wide open
Kodak Tri-X in Rodinal
Olympus OM-1

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 07-19-2019   #3732
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Watching some videos on Youtube about faamous photographers.
Spotted a few Olympus users:

Andre Kartez with an OM2

Erich Lessing with an OM2 too:

Plus a profile photo of Bruno Barbey using an OM4

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 07-19-2019   #3733
David Hughes
David Hughes

And don't forget Jane Bown. Look at the self portrait at the end of these photo's. It's here:-

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...hy-in-pictures

Regards, David

Old 07-22-2019   #3734
dtcls100

Interesting that Jane Bown has an OM-2 or OM-2n in her hands for her self-portrait. I always had the impression that she was strictly an OM-1 user.

Old 08-24-2019   #3735
dwojr

I got my first Olympus SLR today at a local consignment shop. The kit included an OM2n, 21mm f2, 50mm f1.4, winder, two flashes, and a bunch of little accessories. Quite nice little camera. The 21mm first grabbed my attention with how small it is.

Looking forward to giving it all a try. Anything I need to look out for?

Old 08-24-2019   #3736
sreed2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwojr View Post
I got my first Olympus SLR today at a local consignment shop. The kit included an OM2n, 21mm f2, 50mm f1.4, winder, two flashes, and a bunch of little accessories. Quite nice little camera. The 21mm first grabbed my attention with how small it is.

Looking forward to giving it all a try. Anything I need to look out for?
Lucky you! That's a very nice kit.

Some things to look out for:
The hot shoes are made of plastic that is now many years old. The old plastic tends to fracture. Don't over-tighten the screw that holds the hot shoe onto the camera, and don't put too much force on the hot shoe or it will break.

There is a slot in the Winder's battery compartment to hold the cap from the baseplate of the camera. If the Winder is installed on the camera, take out its battery tray and see if the cap is in there.

Every time you load a roll of film, and have snugged up the film with the rewind knob, make sure that the rewind knob rotates as you advance the film. I've had OMs for years, and still every once in awhile fail to load the film properly. Checking that the rewind knob turns has saved me a few times. I have found that the best way to load film into an OM is to put the film leader into the take-up spool, pull the film out of the cassette as you move the cassette to the left, and make sure that the sprocket holes in the film are properly set, and snug, on the sprocket gears before closing the back door.

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 08-24-2019   #3737
dwojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreed2006 View Post
Lucky you! That's a very nice kit.

Some things to look out for:
The hot shoes are made of plastic that is now many years old. The old plastic tends to fracture. Don't over-tighten the screw that holds the hot shoe onto the camera, and don't put too much force on the hot shoe or it will break.

There is a slot in the Winder's battery compartment to hold the cap from the baseplate of the camera. If the Winder is installed on the camera, take out its battery tray and see if the cap is in there.

Every time you load a roll of film, and have snugged up the film with the rewind knob, make sure that the rewind knob rotates as you advance the film. I've had OMs for years, and still every once in awhile fail to load the film properly. Checking that the rewind knob turns has saved me a few times. I have found that the best way to load film into an OM is to put the film leader into the take-up spool, pull the film out of the cassette as you move the cassette to the left, and make sure that the sprocket holes in the film are properly set, and snug, on the sprocket gears before closing the back door.
Thanks! Found the baseplate cap in the winder. Iím so glad I can remove the grip now.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3738
j.scooter

OM 4T Zuiko 24 2.8 red filter

OM 4T Zuiko 35 2

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3739
Photon42
burn the box

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3740
nickthetasmaniac

35RD and F.Zuiko 40/f1.7

Portra400

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 1 Week Ago   #3741
Photon42
burn the box

Old 3 Days Ago   #3742
Fraser

I'm in the process of selling all my manual Nikon f and F2s and all the manual lenses, but I'm keeping all my OM stuff just find the bodies much better ergonomically and the glass seems to suit my colour film/processing. Every time I look at this thread just reminds me I should really get shooting!

Old 2 Days Ago   #3743
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

A couple more pictures: Olympus OM4 with Zuiko 28 f/3.5
Film is ilford HP5+

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram