Amazing! Found great film lab in Chiang Mai: Back to film?
Old 03-24-2016   #1
Nowhereman
-

Amazing! Found great film lab in Chiang Mai: Back to film?

Found a first rate film lab in Chiang Mai. They hand develop all sorts of film: B&W, C41 and E6, with care and precision — no scratches or dust, correct developing times and temperature, unlike the largest lab in Bangkok. They also make darkroom prints and have a rental darkroom — and they're also good at scanning the negatives. They even do stand development.

They also have a gallery for exhibitions and a small cafe. It's called UNG Handcraft Darkroom Shop & Gallery, located in the old town center, near one of the most famous temples, Wat Phra Singh. Very reasonable prices, as you can see on their website: see link below.

This lab is run by two young women in their twenties, who learned to love film at university. Their names are Taa and Ung (pronounced "Ang"). They told me that an important segment of their clients are high school students, who learn darkroom photography at school: some of them, after going on to digital, come back to film because they liked it.

Here is the lab's website: www.ungshop08.com
...and here is the Facebook page (mainly in Thai): www.facebook.com/UNGSHOP08

After learning about this lab, I shot three rolls of Tri-X with my Leica M6 that I hadn't touched for ten years. I was blown away by the results — and am now considering shooting exclusively with film and selling my M-Monochrom and M9-P. You can see some of these film shots as well as shots with my MM and M9-P in the RFF thread below: shots that I'm looking at in order to decide whether I should go back to shooting exclusively with film. Looking at these pictures, I could argue either way, but am leaning to film. I'd be interested in your views: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=155090

Old 03-24-2016   #2
mani

I vastly prefer the film images in that thread. The digital images have a smooth, b&w-HDR look to them which looks painfully artificial when viewed side-by-side with the film images.

I say go back to film! But maybe don't sell all your digital equipment until you're 100% sure for yourself.

Old 03-24-2016   #3
Nowhereman
-

Tack fr det, Mani. (Jag har bott in Stockholm fem r nr jag var barn.)

Need all the encouragement I can get to go back to film — in view of the scanning issues. In any case, I won't decide until at least for three weeks.

Old 04-27-2016   #4
alonbenav

I used UNG while I was in Chiang Mai and they were awesome!

Did a great job processing both B/W and C-41 and they were really sweet.

Old 04-27-2016   #5
michaelbialecki

Excellent news, thanks a lot for posting.

Cheers, michael

Old 04-28-2016   #6
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

I love people like this. Thanks

Adelaide, South Australia

Old 04-28-2016   #7
rodt16s

I will take some colour in Bangkok over the next few weeks ... shame time won't allow to support their business.
But bookmarked for future reference

Old 04-28-2016   #8
pacco

I wish it would be easy to find a film lab in Phnom Penh or Cambodia as well. At least I managed to find a rental darkroom what allows me to continue film photography while staying here. All remaining films will be taken to Thailand the next time I stop there!

Old 04-28-2016   #9
Nowhereman
-

Pacco - if you're going to get film developed in Bangkok the largest, well-known labs aren't that good. The two owners of UNG lab in Chiang Mai recommended and small Bangkok custom lab run by their photo teacher. The trouble is that I don't recall the name, and I won't be back in Thailand until October. You could phone Ung lab in Chiang Mai and ask Taa or Ung for the name.

Old 04-28-2016   #10
Nowhereman
-

Here's a photo of two customers at the caf at the front of UNG Lab, from a roll developed by them:

M6 | Summilux-35 FLE | Tri-X @ ISO 400 | Stand development for 1 hour in Rodinal 1:100, gentle inversion after 30 minutes.

Chiang Mai

Old 04-28-2016   #11
pacco

Nowhereman, thanks for this suggestion!

michaelbialecki, where do you go for film development?

Old 04-28-2016   #12
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacco View Post
Nowhereman, thanks for this suggestion!

michaelbialecki, where do you go for film development?
For color developing and scanning, I use a lab on Lad Prao, across from Cental Lad Prao (shopping mall), it's called Color Image 089 200 7817 (cell) and 02 939 2624 (land line)

I develop my own black and white film, I have a private darkroom.

Cheers, michael

Old 04-28-2016   #13
rodt16s

Michael, have you any experience of Patani Studio..?

Old 04-28-2016   #14
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodt16s View Post
Michael, have you any experience of Patani Studio..?
No, I'm sorry I don't, but I'm going to use that lab in Chiang Mai next time I go up there.

Old 04-28-2016   #15
rodt16s

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbialecki View Post
No, I'm sorry I don't, but I'm going to use that lab in Chiang Mai next time I go up there.
OK thanks, I'll stop by to check it out and report back

Old 04-29-2016   #16
Steve M.

I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be better if I stopped developing my own film, as much as I enjoy the results of that, and went back to sending it out to a good lab. There was something freeing about that, and you could just focus on getting the shot. That's really the important thing, yet we tend to get all hung up on bokeh, lens IQ, grain, choice of developer, and all these side issues. It suits me better too, vs all the fiddling around w/ the developing. The printing, if the neg is good, is a piece of cake, so I would want to still do that.

Old 04-29-2016   #17
pepeguitarra

Maybe I should send my rolls over there. The Dark Room dot Com is taking for ever to develop two rolls. Their ad says they will respond in two or three days, but it's been seven and nothing.

Old 04-29-2016   #18
BillBingham2

That's EXCELLENT News. I'm a big believer in spending my coins on local businesses when ever I can. Keep us in the loop on your journey back....

B2 (;->

Old 04-29-2016   #19
pacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbialecki View Post
For color developing and scanning, I use a lab on Lad Prao, across from Cental Lad Prao (shopping mall), it's called Color Image 089 200 7817 (cell) and 02 939 2624 (land line)

I develop my own black and white film, I have a private darkroom.

Cheers, michael
Great, thanks for the information! I took a bunch of Kodak Porta 400 films with me the last time I returned from Europe, now I can happily snap them away. Film labs in Phnom Penh are really bad..

Old 05-04-2016   #20
rodt16s

Pantani studio update, hand dev/print B&W C41 and E-6, a darkroom out the back
Has been there a few years, run by an enthusiastic approachable guy. Who finds the time to work on a major project once a year
Say's he will get an assistant to help out in the next month or so, freeing up his time.
Seemed to have some darkroom supplies, a great library of photo books and some nice prints on the wall.
Not the easiest place to find first time out, but worth the effort.
Maybe a similar model to UNG

Old 06-04-2016   #21
Nowhereman
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
Pacco - if you're going to get film developed in Bangkok the largest, well-known labs aren't that good. The two owners of UNG lab in Chiang Mai recommended and small Bangkok custom lab run by their photo teacher. The trouble is that I don't recall the name, and I won't be back in Thailand until October. You could phone Ung lab in Chiang Mai and ask Taa or Ung for the name.
Just found the name of the Bangkok lab: it's Neno Camera in Ladprao 80. Here is the Facebook page and the website. The Facebook page has a map and, if you scroll down to a May 27 entry you can see that the price for developing and scanning a roll of film is 150 baht (US$4.20). The phone number for English speakers is 081-830-5630.

I have not yet been there or used this lab, but if it's as good as UNG in Chiang Mai, then it's better than the large Bangkok labs.

Old 01-22-2017   #22
Nowhereman
-

Same location but the name of the UNG Handcraft Darkroom Shop & Gallery, has changed to Rakuda Photo Artisans. Same good work. Cosed on Mondays, but otherwise open from 10:00am. The new phone number is 093-153-0074.

Old 02-13-2018   #23
dmitrizzle

There are seven film labs in Chiang Mai alone. You can order dark room prints, get your E-6 developed or have it done in under an hour. I wrote a guide with some reviews and image samples for the labs I've visited and/or tried.

Old 02-13-2018   #24
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrizzle View Post
There are seven film labs in Chiang Mai alone. You can order dark room prints, get your E-6 developed or have it done in under an hour. I wrote a guide with some reviews and image samples for the labs I've visited and/or tried.
Informative and very helpful guide.

Thanks for writing.

John

Old 02-13-2018   #25
dmitrizzle

Cheers, John!