Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Re: W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8
Old 07-15-2017   #1
nomadia

Hi all,

I got this lens recently and realized that the focus distance doesn't reach to 3 feet (see photo). Is this normal? I'm not getting any focusing problems on the roll that I ran through it. If defective, is this an easy fix or anyone can point me to a link that has similar problem to mine? Thanks.

Old 07-15-2017   #2
Peter Jennings

It's not right. It should go just a hair past the 3 foot mark. Does the infinity marking line up properly? Does this also happen when not mounted on the body? Get back with answers to these questions and then maybe we can help with a diagnosis.

Old 07-15-2017   #3
nomadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jennings View Post
It's not right. It should go just a hair past the 3 foot mark. Does the infinity marking line up properly? Does this also happen when not mounted on the body? Get back with answers to these questions and then maybe we can help with a diagnosis.

Hi Peter,

The infinity mark lines up and this doesnt happen when not mounted on the camera. I tried this also in another body and same thing happened, it doesnt reach the 3 ft mark.

Old 07-15-2017   #4
NIKON KIU
Did you say Nippon Kogaku

So, it's fine when you do it without a body?
If that's the case, may be you are not installing it right?
Are you making sure both lens and camera are set at infinity when mounting?

Sometimes the lenses of this vintage gum-up after 50-60 years and they may not go all the way, this should not be any different when on or off the body. I had a 35mm that did this( bind when focusing) but after a few firm turns, it started working all the way.
If you lens turns all the way off the camera, then it sounds like you have a mounting problem.

I think CLA on a lens like this is about $100-$125

Kiu

Old 07-15-2017   #5
nomadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKON KIU View Post
So, it's fine when you do it without a body?
If that's the case, may be you are not installing it right?
Are you making sure both lens and camera are set at infinity when mounting?

Sometimes the lenses of this vintage gum-up after 50-60 years and they may not go all the way, this should not be any different when on or off the body. I had a 35mm that did this( bind when focusing) but after a few firm turns, it started working all the way.
If you lens turns all the way off the camera, then it sounds like you have a mounting problem.

I think CLA on a lens like this is about $100-$125

Kiu

Thanks Kiu. Yes, I mounted at infinity. This happens only when coupled with the camera.

Old 07-15-2017   #6
Peter Jennings

A well used lens like yours probably has been serviced in the past. My bet is that there was a mistake in the reassembly of the lens. As the helical of the camera extends when focussing at close distances, it could be contacting the inside of the lens mount. Look at the inside of the mount. Do you see any signs of rubbing or paint loss? Regardless, based on the issue you've described, I think the lens needs to be rebuilt.

Old 07-16-2017   #7
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadia View Post
The infinity mark lines up and this doesnt happen when not mounted on the camera.
My guess is that the spring loaded sleeve around the rear of the lens isn't seating properly in the focus helicoid on the camera. Check for burrs on the corners of that sleeve, particularly on the protrusion with 90 degree corners (not pictured below). Even a small amount will prevent the sleeve from seating properly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wnikkor.jpg (19.2 KB, 208 views)

Old 07-16-2017   #8
nomadia

I checked and everything seems to be fine from my non-technical eye. What I noticed though when mounting the lens is it doesnt automatically turn at the first turning of focusing wheel (there's a bit of a lag before it snaps on to infinity). I'm guessing that's where the extra distance is lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-16-2017   #9
richardHaw
junk scavenger

could it be that the focusing ring has gotten loose?
they are only held by 3 small set screws
your lens needs an overhaul
http://www.richardhaw.com

Old 07-16-2017   #10
raid
Dad Photographer

I would send the lens to a competent lens repair person.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-16-2017   #11
nomadia

Thank you everyone. I might just as well do that.

Old 07-16-2017   #12
richardHaw
junk scavenger

i am going to write a teardown one of these days for that lens on my blog

Old 07-16-2017   #13
nomadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardHaw View Post
i am going to write a teardown one of these days for that lens on my blog

Awesome! Thanks in advance!

Old 07-16-2017   #14
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
What I noticed though when mounting the lens is it doesnt automatically turn at the first turning of focusing wheel (there's a bit of a lag before it snaps on to infinity). I'm guessing that's where the extra distance is lost.
Like Jon my thought is that the spring loaded sleeve around the rear group of the lens isn't getting seated properly in the focusing helicoid on the camera when you mount the lens with both the lens and the camera focusing helicoids set at infinity. Does the spring loaded sleeve respond snappy to your finger when you push it towards the front of the lens ? Does it show evidence of having got a bump at some point ? The sleeve must be perfectly round and it must not feel sticky around the lens rear group. Also, are the three sleeve tabs - which engage inside the three camera focusing helicoid sectors when you mount the lens - still in good shape with no metal missing ?

When you secure the lens on the camera the lens focusing ring and the camera focusing wheel must be sync'ed immediatly. I'd advise you to give the first amount of focusing motion with the lens focusing ring not the camera focusing wheel.

Old 07-16-2017   #15
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Like Jon my thought is that the spring loaded sleeve around the rear group of the lens isn't getting seated properly in the focusing helicoid on the camera
Yep, thinking about it a bit more the problem has to be related to this sleeve, especially since the lens focuses through the full range when not mounted on a camera, and there's a moment of hesitation in the focus action when first mounting the lens on a camera.

The sleeve has to sit snugly in the focus helicoid as shown below. If the sleeve is slightly out of round, has any burring, or if the spring isn't strong enough, the sleeve won't seat properly, causing the problem the OP is experiencing.

One option is to remove the sleeve from the lens and fit it in the focus helicoid on its own to see if it fits in smoothy. If the sleeve is the problem (or the spring - I have two spares of those too), you can have one of these spares taken from two reissue W-Nikkor 35/1.8s that were converted to M-mount by Miyazaki-san.

Old 07-16-2017   #16
richardHaw
junk scavenger

based on what i know about this lens it is not easy to dislodge the cam/sleeve or put it in the wrong configuration because of the rear elements assembly but it is also possible when the poor screw holding it is worn or damaged the spring underneath can be tricky to put back an if this was repaired before then the repairman might've put it back the wrong way.

can you please show us a picture of the rear end of the lens? another thing is the helicoid stop for that lens is delicate. it is just a small screw. i doubt that is the cause but that is also one thing that can happen.

Old 07-16-2017   #17
jonmanjiro

The sleeve can be easily damaged by trying to mount the lens on the camera when either the lens or camera (or both) is not set to infinity. Will post a photo of the rear of the lens later!

Old 07-17-2017   #18
nomadia

The sleeve doesn't seem to have any problem. No bumps, it snaps back when pushed to the front of the cell.

Old 07-17-2017   #19
nomadia

Is there a step by step lens disassembly/rebuild resource that I can refer to? Also, I sent my 5cm F1.4 for CLA to Youxin in the past. Will he be a good option for this type of repair?

Old 07-17-2017   #20
richardHaw
junk scavenger

Quote:
Is there a step by step lens disassembly/rebuild resource that I can refer to? Also, I sent my 5cm F1.4 for CLA to Youxin in the past. Will he be a good option for this type of repair?

i am not sure. i have the notes here and I can write one for you around august if you can wait.

this lens requires some special tools like a pipe key if you want to overhaul it.
if all you want to do is overhaul the focusing unit, then all you need to do is unscrew the rear elements assembly off but be careful because the optics may fall to the floor

Old 07-17-2017   #21
Fraser

Does it line up perfectly at infinity?

Old 07-17-2017   #22
enasniearth

I notice jons lens has the screw holding the coupling ring at about the 7 meter mark on the distance scale
Yours seems to be close to infinity mark
I looked at mine it's like jons
When the infinity mark is set at reddish dot index , the screw holding the ring is close to 20 feet near 5.6 index on depth of field scale
Looks like your focus ring is off - not assembled correctly

Old 07-17-2017   #23
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
Al, I'd say he's got the lens set to near MFD instead of infinity. That would account for the difference.

Quote:
The sleeve doesn't seem to have any problem. No bumps, it snaps back when pushed to the front of the cell.
Judging by the angle of the part of the spring we can see in your photo, I'd say the spring isn't installed correctly in relation to the screw. It needs to be moved past the screw by one more rung. It a finicky process that requires three hands (seriously!) but doing so would give more tension on the spring action to hold the sleeve firmly against the mount, particularly when the lens is at or near MFD. When installed correctly, it should look almost parallel to the mount like the lenses below.

Old 07-17-2017   #24
richardHaw
junk scavenger

i just noticed that now that you mentioned it
that was definitely worked on by somebody else

to lift the spring, I use a clip soldering clips to be exact

Old 07-17-2017   #25
nomadia

Good to know. Has anyone documented the needed disassembly? Thank you everyone, especially to Jon for zeroing in on the problem.

Old 07-17-2017   #26
jonmanjiro

1. Remove rear optical group. Grab the rearmost metal part with your hand and twist it anti clockwise. It should screw right off.
2. Loosen and remove the flathead screw next to the spring. The sleeve and spring should come right off.
3. Put it all back together properly. With a bit of trial and error you should figure it out pretty quickly.

Old 07-17-2017   #27
Peter Jennings

It may be easier to only remove the screw and adjust the spring without removing he rear element and coupling ring. At least, I would try that first.

Old 07-17-2017   #28
jonmanjiro

That would be ideal. I was thinking it may help the OP understand the mechanism more clearly by partially disassembling it. Easy enough to do as removing the rear optical group is as simple as removing a filter.

Old 07-17-2017   #29
Peter Jennings

Sure, Jon. I just thought that if the OP has some trepidation he could try something less invasive. When I first started tinkering with this stuff I'd take off a tiny part and freak out that I might be ruining it. Then I'd see that what I did had no negative effects and next time I'd go a little bit deeper. Pretty soon I was comfortable stripping down cameras and lenses into pieces.

Old 07-17-2017   #30
enasniearth

Jon
Looking at your photos of your lenses the screw that holds the ring lines with the 7 meter (20 feet ) mark on the distance scale , these rotate together
Looking at the nomadias lens the retaining screw lines up with the infinity mark on his lens
Once again they rotate together / so the focus scale ring is not in the correct position .

Old 07-17-2017   #31
enasniearth

Quote:
I took some pictures of my 3.5cm f1.8 and a 2.8cm f3.5
no mater where the focusing is set , the screw location is at 20 feet on the distance scale (they rotate together)
on your lens it lines up closer to infinity . possible that the lens assembly is screwed in one thread off (there are 3 different position the 28 helicoid can be screwed on )and someone moved the distance scale to line up at infinity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1065.jpg (21.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1066.jpg (20.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1067.jpg (21.9 KB, 15 views)

Old 07-17-2017   #32
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
I notice jons lens has the screw holding the coupling ring at about the 7 meter mark on the distance scale

Yours seems to be close to infinity mark

I looked at mine it's like jons

When the infinity mark is set at reddish dot index , the screw holding the ring is close to 20 feet near 5.6 index on depth of field scale

I stand corrected, Al. Thanks for the additional photos as well. The lens clearly needs more work than just a spring repositioning!

Old 07-17-2017   #33
Peter Jennings

Looking at your lens, I noticed that the gap between the focus ring and aperture ring (A) is too narrow. Also, the gap between the mount and focus ring (B) is too wide (mine measures 4.4cm). This is likely also related to the coupling ring being misaligned.

[IMG]1ba6f55d14169cef6288b73ae1face12 by Peter Jennings, on Flickr[/IMG]

I don't think the fix is that hard. Just remove the three tiny grub screws holding the focus ring in place. No need to remove anything else. With the focus ring loose, grasp the focus ring/mount together in one hand and the coupling ring/rear lens group in the other. Rotate so that the gap between the aperture ring and focus ring widens and the white dots line up at the appropriate f-stop. Also, there should be machined holes under the focus ring for the grub screws lock into. They need to line up with the holes in the focus ring. It may take some trial and error to get there.

Old 07-19-2017   #34
nomadia

To update this thread, this lens has been sent to Youxin Ye. This was after trying (and repeatedly failing) to put the spring back 🤡. Finnicky is an understatement to say the least. If you're a non-technical person like me, don't even try. Thanks again for the help. I hope this thread will be of great help to those inclined to DIY this lens. Cheers!!!

Old 07-19-2017   #35
richardHaw
junk scavenger

this is going to be on my "to write" list

my next one has to do with Nikon's 100th anniversary so probably in august

when I do not have the clip, I use my mouth to push the spring up while I install the screw

Old 07-19-2017   #36
NIKON KIU
Did you say Nippon Kogaku

Quote:
To update this thread, this lens has been sent to Youxin Ye. This was after trying (and repeatedly failing) to put the spring back 🤡. Finnicky is an understatement to say the least. If you're a non-technical person like me, don't even try. Thanks again for the help. I hope this thread will be of great help to those inclined to DIY this lens. Cheers!!!

I think you did the right thing, I sent one out and afterwards, the pictures were much sharper after CLA, it never hurts to do a CLA on a lens this old.

Just wondering, can you tell us what price was quoted?

Thanks,

Kiu

Old 07-20-2017   #37
nomadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKON KIU View Post
I think you did the right thing, I sent one out and afterwards, the pictures were much sharper after CLA, it never hurts to do a CLA on a lens this old.

Just wondering, can you tell us what price was quoted?

Thanks,
Kiu
He quoted $90 plus shipping.

Old 07-30-2017   #38
nomadia

Got the lens back from Youxin a week after he received it in the mail. Everything works as it should.

Old 07-30-2017   #39
Peter Jennings

Glad to hear it!