Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 06-22-2019   #41
jja

Great photo, Thom! Glad you put the camera and lens to immediate use.

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-22-2019   #42
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
Curiosity got the better of me and I picked up an FM2n today just to see if I remembered it correctly.... The film advance is so much nicer than a wobbly F3 and actually feels very like my F2. ....
Right? I hate the super loose and floppy feel of the film advance on my F3P and F3 Limited. I find it curious as to how much praise that got. Feels absolutely horrible!
(rest of the camera is great though).

I still have my FM2n but sold my FE2 after it started having electrical issues which made the shutter timing 'interesting'. A little research has shown that it is not unknown on the FE2.
So bombproof? Only the mechanical ones (FM, FM2, F, F2 etc). As we now expect.

Great camera, I haven't used mine in years though. Just get more enjoyment from the F or Leicas. Fun though with the MD12 winder - makes it sound like you are covering a Duran Duran press conference in the mid '80's!

Old 06-22-2019   #43
CharlesDAMorgan

Took my FE out today for a walk in London with the Ultron 40mm. It was that or the FM2n, but I decided to make life easy. I bought my FM2n entirely by accident - I was off on a street photography day in Manchester, and popped in to West Yorkshire Cameras in Leeds on the way. Checking my bag (which had the Intrepid 4x5 and my Pentax 67) I'd forgotten my Minolta XD7. So in the end I bought a black FM2n and a 35mm f2 lens, and never looked back. I don't think the Minolta has been used since.

I have an F2AS I love but its extra bulk and weight generally gets it left behind. I also prefer the match needle of the FE to the LEDs of the FM2n, as you have to guess by how much you are under/over.

My favourite photo from that day shot on the 35mm Nikkor f2- FP4 developed in FX39.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 06-22-2019   #44
dourbalistar

I just got a FM2n earlier this year, and it's a wonderful camera. There was a problem with the first lens that I got for it, something in the aperture mechanism wouldn't allow it to stop down properly. Without the top 1/4000 shutter speed, I wouldn't have gotten this shot from my first roll, shot wide open at f/1.2 outside in the sun.

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S.C Auto 55mm f/1.2, Ilford HP5+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2019.03.16 Roll #198-03198-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 06-22-2019   #45
giganova

I had an FM for a while but didn't like the 3-LED exposure display and wish it had the FE needle meter. Too little information with a 3-LED display. With a needle meter you know the exposure time and how much your exposure is off and you can compensate on the fly to difficult light situations (e.g., shooting against light). So here is the conundrum:

If you want a mechanical camera you can't have a needle display. Thank you Nikon!

Old 06-22-2019   #46
twvancamp
Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja View Post
Great photo, Thom! Glad you put the camera and lens to immediate use.
And thank you! I couldn't figure out the feedback function in classifieds--thought this would be next best.

My first camera was a K1000 so I've always thought needle meter made the most sense, but I shoot enough low light now that the led is worth getting used to.

Old 06-22-2019   #47
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I have owned and used FM, FM2n, FE2 and FE models.
The original FE is my favorite.

Chris

Old 06-22-2019   #48
lcpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
I had an FM for a while but didn't like the 3-LED exposure display and wish it had the FE needle meter. Too little information with a 3-LED display. With a needle meter you know the exposure time and how much your exposure is off and you can compensate on the fly to difficult light situations (e.g., shooting against light). So here is the conundrum:

If you want a mechanical camera you can't have a needle display. Thank you Nikon!
The FM3a is the answer to your conundrum, it has the automation and needle readout of the FE2, TTL flash metering and finally the mechanical nature of the FM2n.

To be honest I never found the LED readout on the FM2n any worse for making on the fly adjustments, the LEDs have five readouts (+, +O, O, O-, and - ) which are generally enough, plus they're easier to see at night. Didn't stop me from picking up an FM3a last year though! One annoying thing with the LED readout is that the shutter speed display is on the left and the LEDs are on the right so you kinda have to move your eye around a bit more compared to the needle readout which merges exposure and selected speed in one area.

Old 06-23-2019   #49
dfdann

Just discovered this thread. Purchased a FE 2 several years ago to replace one stolen
years ago. Added to my M7,M8,CL(digital) collection. Although I primarily use the
CL, I took the FE2 to Cornwall to shoot film in addition to digital. Nothing feels better
in my hands than the old FE2.
Cheers, Dan

Old 06-23-2019   #50
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
As an owner of a a chrome FE, a black FE2, chrome FM, black FM and a chrome FM2n, you are preaching to the converted.

Old 06-23-2019   #51
Uncle Bill

Camera: Nikon FM, Nikkor Ai 50 f2 lens.
Film: Efke 100, HC110 B.

At the Crosswalk in Leslieville_ by Bill Smith, on Flickr

PCC Car on Queen St. East by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Art by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Old 06-23-2019   #52
Uncle Bill

Camera: Nikon FE2, Nikkor Ais 35 f2 lens.
Film: kodak Tri-X 400, Xtol Stock.

Walking Down Bay St. August by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Temperance St. Patio _ by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Crossing at Queen and Peter by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Old 06-27-2019   #53
GarageBoy

The fe and FM series has everything I want in a camera and nothing I dont. Its the perfect size too. If they were Leica r mount or contax yashica mount, I would never look in the direction of leica r or cy cameras

Small, tough, and refined

Old 06-27-2019   #54
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
The fe and FM series has everything I want in a camera and nothing I dont. Its the perfect size too. If they were Leica r mount or contax yashica mount, I would never look in the direction of leica r or cy cameras

Small, tough, and refined
If you want to try a Leica lens, Leitax may be the way to go, in case you don't mind stopping down for metering or shooting wide open. And then there is Zeiss.

Old 06-27-2019   #55
Waus

I've bought my first chrome Nikon FM2n in 1995 at Nivo Schweitzer in Amsterdam. With this camera I photographed my travels to India/Nepal, first holidays with my wife, the birth of my two children-our holidays as a family.
This camera has become a part of our us. I'll take it everywhere we go, most of the time with only two lenses 20/3,5 or 24mm/2,8 and a 50mm/1,4.
In all those years Nikon F3', FA's, FE's came-and went...
I only bought an extra FM2n when it came cheaply.

Old 06-28-2019   #56
Ste_S

Another FE/M series fan. For me the original FE and FM in black with a bit of brassing are the best looking cameras around.

Old 07-14-2019   #57
Uncle Bill

Just revisiting this thread makes me want to get a second FE2, this time in chrome to go with my black one.

Old 07-15-2019   #58
jamin-b

IMHO The FM3a is an underrated gem. I have never had the slightest issue with mine, and it has a big clean and clear viewfinder and all the solidity people value in a Leica.

Old 07-15-2019   #59
J enea

MY FM3 developed an issue about 2 years ago. Nikon still fixed it for free under warranty. Didn't expect that, was figuring i was gonna have to pay. but it still had 2 months left, so I lucked out. figure it has 20+ more years of good shooting left, even if I dont.

I love mmy fe-2 and fm3. when I shoot 35mm, those 2 are the most used cameras of all that I own. I really prefer the match needle metering.to bad the F3 doesn't have one, as for me that would be the perfect camera

Old 07-15-2019   #60
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin-b View Post
IMHO The FM3a is an underrated gem. I have never had the slightest issue with mine, and it has a big clean and clear viewfinder and all the solidity people value in a Leica.
Underrated by whom? Certainly not the used market... As they go for more than nearly all comparable pro bodies.

Old 07-15-2019   #61
kshapero
Leave the lights on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
I have owned and used FM, FM2n, FE2 and FE models.
The original FE is my favorite.

Chris
I have had them all and I agree with you. Simple, cheap, reliable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-16-2019   #62
jamin-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Underrated by whom? Certainly not the used market... As they go for more than nearly all comparable pro bodies.
I just meant that you tend to hear a lot of enthusiasm and long term use of FM2s and somehow the FM3a is often missed, and has the perhaps unique combination of full mechanical and full auto-exposure.
Let's face it, these cameras are all pretty awesome workhorses...

Old 07-16-2019   #63
BillBingham2

I was wrong, I was wrong, I was WRONG. I trashed the not-made-of-metal Nikons many years back. While I owned a couple of FMs way back, I never expected them to last as long as they have.

B2 (;->

Old 07-16-2019   #64
dtcls100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
I was wrong, I was wrong, I was WRONG. I trashed the not-made-of-metal Nikons many years back. While I owned a couple of FMs way back, I never expected them to last as long as they have.

B2 (;->
The FM, FE series cameras all have metal bodies.

Old 07-26-2019   #65
Uncle Bill

Camera: Nikon FE2, Nikkor Ais lenses.
Film: Kodak Color Plus 200.

Lime Green Vespa by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Kew Gardens Bandshell Surrounded by Green by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Along the Board Walk at Leuty Beach by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Most of the Lifeboats are Out by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Old 07-27-2019   #66
robert blu
quiet photographer

It's always nice to see old threads alive!

And yes, I love my FM2T !

Nikon FM2/T.jpg by robert, su Flickr

Ilford Delta 100; 50mm 1,4 AIS; FM2

I should use this camera more...

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 07-27-2019   #67
raydm6

Nikon FM2 w/HK-14 Lens Hood for 20mm
by rdc154, on Flickr

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #68
haempe
negative guy

Let me join in the choir of FE praise ...

Had early last year a bit of bad luck with my M cameras, ended with having all my 3 M bodys in 3 different workshops scattered over europe.
Had to shoot a concert, so I grabbed my fathers old FE with 50/1,8 and this worked surprisingly well. Got better yield than usual with the Ms, so I kept going...
Fetched me a second FE body, a few lenses (16/2.8; 24/2; CV40/2 and 85/2) and later another FE body as a backup.
Pretty cheap too, compared with the M stuff, all less then 1000 toads.
I did all my stuff of the last 20 months with this rig, I'm pretty happy at the moment with this gear.

One from the first eve with FE:

the creepshow

50/1.8 ai ; [email protected] microphen

and two more from last year:

eyehategod

85/2 ai-s [email protected] microphen

napalm death

16/2.8 ai-s ; [email protected] microphen

Don't get me wrong, there is no love in the first sight relationship between the FE and me.
The FE is just the camera I've made my first steps into photography in the 80s. I can use it, completly without thinking, what helps a lot.
I don't think there is something special about the FE or there is something special about my photography, maybe that's why it works...

cheers, -h

haempe.net

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #69
twvancamp
Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by haempe View Post
I don't think there is something special about the FE or there is something special about my photography, maybe that's why it works...
Well put, and I think that is special. Many cameras I try to convince myself to love, but alway fall back on the unexceptional comfort and function of my FM or K1000.

And the concert photos are amazing!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #70
petronius

The FM and Kodachrome 64 back in 1980

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #71
haempe
negative guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvancamp View Post
Many cameras I try to convince myself to love, but alway fall back on the unexceptional comfort and function of my FM or K1000.
Thanks, Thom, and yes, I am familiar with this situation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petronius View Post
The FM and Kodachrome 64 back in 1980
Hi Zeno, sorry to say, but your giraffe looks ... hm ... dead?
btw, I really enjoy your tumblr... still any polypan f in use?

cheers, -h

haempe.net

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #72
petronius

Hi haempe,
it was alive and had a good appetite this day. Polypan F photos can still be found in my Rollei 35 blog. I have just 8 rolls left and are desperately seeking for more!

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #73
Smaug

My experiences:

- Bought a used FM in the early 90s. Was great. I felt like I HAD to upgrade to the FM2n.
- Sold the FM and got an FM2n. It was about my best camera ever.
- Got out of Nikon for years. (decades now) Just used my old OM1N for film then onto digital.
- Just got back into MF Nikons a few weeks ago with an FG. It's even more compact than the FM/FE series, maybe a bit TOO compact at times. That little grip booster on the front helps. I sure do like how capable it is though, and how the film advance, shutter speed/function dial and shutter release are all concentric.

One thing we have to remember is that aside from durability, the body is not such an important part. It's more emotional than anything. If you're going to REALLY beat it up, you want something in the F series. If you can be reasonable and not beat it really hard, something in the FM/FE/FG series would seem to do fine. In my eye, with a limited budget, it's better to get the cheaper body and throw down some money on optics.

Even there though, a fellow can get nice optics at a nice price, as long as the lens doesn't say 'Nikkor' on it. (ex. Tokina AT-X, Vivitar Series 1, etc.) Prime selection is not good; just the odd 24, 28 and super teles. But the zooms? MUCH better value than Nikkor zooms.

I got a slow (3.5-4.5) Tokina AT-X 28-85 (macro focusing) for $30, and it is a cracking good lens. Two touch. All metal.

Vivitar 75-205/3.5 is a good one too; punches well above its $5 price.

What are you favorite optics for your MF Nikons?

How about your favorite "best value" optics? Why?
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon FG, FM and L35AF3, Canon FTb, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #74
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

A chrome FE was my first Nikon...still have it along with a second FE...plus two FM's...all of them in chrome and together with the MD-11 or MD-12...
I shot a lot of Velvia 50 with the FE...it never let me down...
pf

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #75
Uncle Bill

Camera: Nikon FM2n, Nikkor Ais 24 f2.8 lens.
Film: Ilford HP5 400, HC110 B.

Buck Lake, Limberlost Forest, Muskoka Region, Ontario Canada.

Buck Lake at it&#x27;s Finest by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #76
Uncle Bill

Camera: Nikon FM2n, Nikkor Ai 50 f2 lens.
Film: Ilford HP5 400, HC110 B.

South end of Buck Lake, Limberlost Forest, Muskoka, Ontario Canada

Buck Lake Mini Waterfalls by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Stream out of Buck Lake_ by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #77
GarageBoy

I ended up back with a Nikon Fe that I tried selling - buyer wouldn't believe me when I told him it was wonky because of dead batteries (which worked ok when I tested it) - got it back, played with it and thought screw it, it's a great camera, it'll tide me over until I get that mint black fe2 I want

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #78
crsantin

My Nikon I own an FE, FM, F90x, F80, and F100. If I had to pick just one it would be the FE. I need to use it more often. I have too many cameras but I can't bring myself to part with any of them.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #79
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
I have owned an FM3a (I am an idiot for selling it). Yes they are a bit clunky compared to a Leica M, but these rigs are great street shooters as well as great with telephoto lens.
I have never owned an FM3a, FM, or FE. Since I needed interchangeable viewfinders for shooting through telescopes and microscopes, I used the F, F2, F3, and F4. Compared to my Leica M6, I could never call my F2 "clunky."

Leica M6 & Nikon F2 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 6 Days Ago   #80
kshapero
Leave the lights on

FM2, Nikkor Non Ai converted 50/1.4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos