Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Sam Abell talk on composition
Old 06-15-2019   #1
Ccoppola82

Sam Abell talk on composition

I determined to give 28mm a go this summer and Iím the course of looking for photographers that used one, I found Sam Abell from Nat Geo. B&H sponsored a talk by him a while ago and his lecture really resonated and sorta systemized an approach to composition in general. I absolutely loved the lecture and just bought two of his books. I think it may be the best lecture on photography that Iíve ever seen. He dissects his failures in the pursuit of the final image in such a way that I can relate. He takes it further and thinks more. Anyway, in case anyone hasnít seen it, itís DEFINITELY worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/qYf9klvk8vQ

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 06-15-2019   #2
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Thanks for sharing Chris!

28 & 90 ... a canon man... compose and wait

Inspiring , Beautiful and Fantastic.
Loved the way he told of his Life, his loves, his photography, a perfect fusion.

Going back now to finish his lecture.

Old 06-16-2019   #3
Richard G

What Helen Hill has said. This is quite wonderful.
"Compose the shot, and wait...."
Microcomposition.
Composing from the back to the front..
The horizon line.
Gesture.
The expressivity of the back of a figure.

I'm only half way through it yet...

Old 06-16-2019   #4
Ccoppola82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
What Helen Hill has said. This is quite wonderful.
"Compose the shot, and wait...."
Microcomposition.
Composing from the back to the front..
The horizon line.
Gesture.
The expressivity of the back of a figure.

I'm only half way through it yet...
The entire lecture spoke to me. Iím not an action junky, so the patient and thoughtful approach really resonates with me. Iíve honestly never even thought of composing from back to front for some reason. Iím actually a professional artist, and I often times enjoy looking at artist sketchbooks more than i enjoy the final piece. I like to see their process, how their minds work. His approach and showing failures and experiments in sequence was much like his sketchbook. Probably the best photo talk Iíve ever seen. And he shoots in P mode. Haha. Love it.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 06-16-2019   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I went from M to AV/TV to P for regular shots (people and static objects). With Canon, it is this good. Not a Leica for sure, where with my M-E best metering is S16 .

Old 06-16-2019   #6
Ccoppola82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I went from M to AV/TV to P for regular shots (people and static objects). With Canon, it is this good. Not a Leica for sure, where with my M-E best metering is S16 .
Just goes to show that not much else matters if the exposure and composition are correct. So why do we spend so much time worrying about gear etc, when we should be more worried about getting the right shapes in the right places??

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 06-16-2019   #7
retinax

Great lecture, thanks for posting it! Makes me want to shoot color... I agree with your assessment on all points. The inclusion of (failed? most of us would have been happy to keep them) attempts is the best part.