Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica General Discussion / News / Rumors

View Poll Results: Poll: Has Leica alienated photographers?
Yes, I feel alienated by Leica's High Prices 162 38.57%
Maybe, sometimes yes, sometimes no 77 18.33%
No, I want Leica quality and that means Leica prices 115 27.38%
YES, I am alienated by Leica targeting bling marketing (late poll addition) 66 15.71%
Voters: 420. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #761
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Some Leicas can shoot video... for those who prefer RF cameras and want video, there's the M240 that fits that need and is still available new.
I might actually consider one if it had 4k video.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #762
d_c

I'm not alienated by Leica's new prices. I simply can't afford them, and so they mainly serve as a minor source of amusement, particularly with regard to the price of some of the limited edition items.

However I figure that the quality of any Leica lens or camera that's one or two versions before the current products will far exceed my ability to take a decent picture, and so I buy the newest secondhand kit that I can afford.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #763
Ronald M

No better RF out there. Cost benefit ratio suggests less expensive DSLR.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #764
steveyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
The RF experience is the same with other cameras, in as much they are cameras as well. Having used Canon and Nikon RF cameras, I can tell you the viewfinders and RF patches do not come close to that on Leicas.
In some respects the viewfinders in the rangefinders from the other companies were better.

The pre-war Zeiss has a massive rangefinder base with a larger finder patch.

Most Nikons are 1.0x viewfinders, an increase of 10% over an M3 and 40% over a 0.72 Leica, in a lighter, more compact body.

Some of the Canons had three magnification settings for the viewfinder -- wide-angle, normal, telephoto.

And back when they all made rangefinders, Leitz optics were not the best.

Each camera system has their own strengths and weaknesses. To say Leica Ms are clearly tops, shows lack of experience with other cameras.

I've shot Leica products exclusively for two decades, and their products are very nice, but all those companies produced nice products.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #765
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyork View Post
To say Leica Ms are clearly tops, shows lack of experience with other cameras.

I've shot Leica products exclusively for two decades, and their products are very nice, but all those companies produced nice products.
I've had plenty of experience with other RFs. Those from Nikon and Canon have miserable rf blobs instead of defined patches. Most don't have parallax correction. Ones from Cosina in the Bessa series just felt substandard to use (I owned those too).
etc etc.
There's a reason Leica is the last RF mfg standing.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #766
bcostin

Leica equipment has always been expensive. So are Hasselblad, Zeiss, Canon L-series, and plenty of other high-end alternatives.

I have a vintage M3 kit that was my father's, a second-hand M8.2, some old Soviet glass, and two modern Voigtlander lenses.

I'm just a hobbyist. I'm just grateful to Leica for creating this amazing system and equipment for me to enjoy, and for the professionals and wealthier hobbyists who keep them in business.