Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Rolleiflex strap solutions
Old 06-15-2019   #1
d.dulin

Rolleiflex strap solutions

Hello all, I love my Rolleiflex automat K4A in use but find it largely annoying to carry around due to its strange size but also because I have not been able to find a strap that didn’t add to its combersom nature/ fit uncomfortably. What is everyone else using to help offset the strange weight of their TLR? Pictures price and straps names appreciated!

Old 06-15-2019   #2
Greyscale

Which Rolleiflex? Fotodiox sells new straps for the ones with alligator clips, as does deadcameras. Also search eBay for Cam-in straps for Rolleiflex.

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-15-2019   #3
d.dulin

K4A.
I’m aware that there are straps, just wondering what people use and think are comfortable/good looking as my current strap is neither.

Old 06-15-2019   #4
Veggies

I have two clips for my 2.8F and then use a Peak Design Slide Lite with the anchors attached to the clips.

Old 06-15-2019   #5
charjohncarter

I bought one off Ebay that had the right clips for my Rollieflex. It is leather and thicker leather than my original. It is still a little stiff, but I feel much better using it.

I said Ebay but it was Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-leat.../dp/B0054EQ01A

Old 06-15-2019   #6
Greyscale

Deadcameras special Rolleiflex TLR strap, on Rolleiflex 3.5F white face by Mike Novak, on Flickr

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-16-2019   #7
JPD
J. Patric Dahlťn

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dulin View Post
K4A.

I think it's easier to just use the camera name and model instead of the internal factory names. This camera should be a Rolleiflex 3,5 A, also called "MX" (in America). The namings the Rolleiclub uses are just confusing.

You can use a normal nylon loop strap with this one. It doesn't need any special clips.

A strap of this type: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/...ra_1398663.jpg

Old 06-16-2019   #8
Dan Daniel

I like the Op/Tech pro loop strap system. It has a thinner loop to go through the strap lugs on the camera. These loop connectors drop away nicely from the viewfinder when you lift the camera- almost like the original Rollei clips, I found a flat nylon strap connector tended to get in the way of the hood.

You can unclip the large padded center section of the strap and clip the two short connectors together to make a wrist strap, or get the strap out of the way when on a tripod.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rap_Black.html

I check the loop connectors every few months. Seems they go about 3-5 years before they show some fraying. I have never had one fail but why take a chance? Especially when you can buy new short connector sections for $8 or so.

I don't like the neoprene center section myself, but that's a personal matter. I cut it away and use the connectors to sew in a 3/4 inch black webbing with adjuster as center section. The Rolleiflex isn't very heavy so the 3/4" webbing gives me enough comfort while not being bulky or sweaty on a hot day.

Old 06-16-2019   #9
SteveM

I have that particular model and the space between the lugs and the body through which the alligator clips pass is very narrow. A regular nylon strap, for example, is too thick. Same for typical leather straps. Although I don’t have one, I think the string-end loops of Gordy type straps would work well as they would slip through the narrow space and loop securely on the lug post. I have an original alligator clip strap but don’t trust the connection between the clip and old leather.

Steve

MF : Bronica RF645, Ercona II, Franka Solida IIIe

Old 06-16-2019   #10
d.dulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You can use a normal nylon loop strap with this one. It doesn't need any special clips.

A strap of this type: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/...ra_1398663.jpg
Correct, I currently have a cheap Fuji(?) nylon strap but itís not very comfortable as itís pretty skinny and doesnít distribute weight well

Old 06-16-2019   #11
d.dulin

Dan:
That seems like a good solution but I would also want to get rid of the foam portion, thanks for the idea I might try it.

Old 06-16-2019   #12
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I have that particular model and the space between the lugs and the body through which the alligator clips pass is very narrow. A regular nylon strap, for example, is too thick. Same for typical leather straps. Although I donít have one, I think the string-end loops of Gordy type straps would work well as they would slip through the narrow space and loop securely on the lug post. I have an original alligator clip strap but donít trust the connection between the clip and old leather.

Steve
There has got to be a way to drill out the two per side rivets of the scissor clips and install a new leather belt strap, maybe use small bolts or re-rivet the new strap .

Old 06-16-2019   #13
xayraa33

This Rollei TLR strap does not look too bad, it is better priced than an old used original Rollei TLR strap with its on its way out worn ratty leather waiting to break.

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/strap-rollei-nylon

Old 06-16-2019   #14
Greyscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
This Rollei TLR strap does not look too bad, it is better priced than an old used original Rollei TLR strap with its on its way out worn ratty leather waiting to break.

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/strap-rollei-nylon
This is a very good strap, I bought one for use on my 2.8E. They also sell it in leather, but I trust the nylon more.

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-16-2019   #15
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
This is a very good strap, I bought one for use on my 2.8E. They also sell it in leather, but I trust the nylon more.
I wish I had seen that ad 10 years ago, old not so trust-able Rollei TLR straps with the scissor clips were selling for 60 dollars to 80 dollars in Toronto camera shops, if you could find them.

Old 06-16-2019   #16
Greyscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
I wish I had seen that ad 10 years ago, old not so trust-able Rollei TLR straps with the scissor clips were selling for 60 dollars to 80 dollars in Toronto camera shops, if you could find them.
It is also the only strap that I trust for use with the Tele Rolleiflex.

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-16-2019   #17
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Dan:
That seems like a good solution but I would also want to get rid of the foam portion, thanks for the idea I might try it.

It's simple to cut the foam away from the hardware. 3/4 inch nylon webbing is sold at outdoor stores; a sleeping bag strap is usually this size. And the outdoor store will have the plastic part for making the length adjustable0 the squared-off "O" with a third piece down the middle.

The Op/Tech system is just that, a system. I can move the straps from camera to camera, buy extra connector sections for low price, use it on my micro 4/3 system cameras, etc.

Old 06-16-2019   #18
laurentb

Quote:
Hello all, I love my Rolleiflex automat K4A in use but find it largely annoying to carry around due to its strange size but also because I have not been able to find a strap that didnít add to its combersom nature/ fit uncomfortably. What is everyone else using to help offset the strange weight of their TLR? Pictures price and straps names appreciated!

Mine is a K4B, I'm using a somewhat cheap strap which is branded "Nikon" but isn't an officlal Nikon one. I had to force it through the "eyelets" (the crocodile strap does not fit my 'Flex) but it works fine.

It works for me, as it does not get in the way (it's 100% made of textile and therefore very flexible).

Old 06-16-2019   #19
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Domke Gripper. It will fit in the bar that the alligator clips use without any rings, just feed it through and rebuckle. I don’t mind the 1”, but there is a wider one as well.

Old 06-16-2019   #20
gnuyork

I am wondering this same thing, though I don't mind carrying the camera without a strap, it's just when I need to use my spot meter, it's awkward to hold the camera and meter at the same time. I also have the EVS MXII which I think is the K4A...I think... great camera. A pleasure to use.

Old 06-16-2019   #21
rodt16s

I use clip adapters on my 3.5F, and attach a standard strap into the ring, perfect solution
Got them from student photo online
Not sure if they will fit your model though

Old 06-16-2019   #22
jmpgino

One of my straps was getting rather suspicious, so I took it to a saddle maker. He made a new strap for me with the old clips. Beware if you go this way as the rivets have to be small because if too big they will rub against the viewfinder and scratch the paint.
I oil all of my leather stuff a couple of times a year. The reason why these straps fail is because they have dried out.
I made a leather hinge for our cat flap, when I designed and made my own set up. Oiled regularly it works like new after years of use.

Old 06-16-2019   #23
MJ Buckpitt

@jmpgino, what oil do you use? I had a mooch around and couldn't find anything that seemed to fit the bill.

Old 06-16-2019   #24
Rayt

I use original Rollei straps purchased used from KEH. When the leather becomes brittle there are shops who can make new leather straps from the clips.

Old 06-16-2019   #25
Greyscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Buckpitt View Post
@jmpgino, what oil do you use? I had a mooch around and couldn't find anything that seemed to fit the bill.
Use the oil that they use on baseball gloves.

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-17-2019   #26
JPD
J. Patric Dahlťn

Quote:
Correct, I currently have a cheap Fuji(?) nylon strap but itís not very comfortable as itís pretty skinny and doesnít distribute weight well

You can make a "neck protector" (or whatever it's called)like this:
https://jolielaide.ca/wp-content/upl...de2018-021.jpg

That's leather, but you can use a more cushioning material, maybe cut out from a sleeping pad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_pad

Old 06-17-2019   #27
NaChase

I have a Lucida strap for my 2.8F that I like a lot. It's handmade, comfortable, and pretty compact.

https://www.lucidastraps.com/en/shop/

RF Cameras: Leica M2, Leica M3, Leica M5, Leica M6, Mamiya 7II,
RF Lenses:
75mm Summilux, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm "Millennium" Nikkor, 35mm Zeiss Distagon 1.4, 35mm 2.8 Summaron, Mamiya 43mm, Mamiya 80mm, Mamiya 150mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/

Old 06-18-2019   #28
MrFujicaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
Use the oil that they use on baseball gloves.
AKA "neatsfoot oil"