Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

"But this photographer did this with just this..."
Old 08-01-2005   #1
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

"But this photographer did this with just this..."

I'm really getting sick of having to justify to people, most of them people I've never met and people who have only seen a smattering of the total of my photography, why I want the gear that I want. To some people, no reason is good enough.

I mentioned in one of the chatrooms that I frequent that I was having a hard time now deciding between going medium format (Mamiya 6) or staying with my 35mm format that I've always used (Leica M2/3). The fact that it is a big decision because I won't have the money to blow on the other set for some time is the reason I want to really choose carefully. I figured that I may get decent comments from some of the few people in that chatroom who still use film cameras. I was so wrong.

"Don't you already have enough gear?"
"Yes, I have a lot of fixed lens rangefinders, but I only have two interchangable lens rangefinders, Argus ones, and only one of the two is in working condition."
"So why do you need more? You have enough."
"I have nothing wider than 40mm and I'm not quite getting the shots that I want because that isn't quite wide enough."
"Well THIS photographer used 40mm for it."
"I said *I* am not quite getting the shots that *I* want."
"Well these photographers started with this focal length."

Pretty much the conversation to a T. This is one of the things that pisses me off the most about some photographers. It seems to happen more in the digital SLR/P&S crowd where they're used to cropping/manipulating their photography to look how they want it in a computer instead of composing the shot in the camera, but it is by no means central to this group. There are people from all kinds of photography that do this. They argue with you over your choice of kit. They argue with you over your choice of lens. They argue with you over your choice of shot. They argue with you over your choice of film. No one bothers to ask you why you made the dicision you did or, when they do, they try and tell you why it was the wrong decision in such absolute terms that you know they think that they are the authority and everything they say is the word of a photography god.

Criminy these people need to get over themselves.

A good kit is an extension of the photographer. A good kit does nothing for the photographer except put their vision into a format that other people can share with them. A good kit is what *you personally* feel that you need. If, after trial and error, you feel that you need another lens to better broadcast that vision, it is your own choice to buy it or not. You, the photographer who actually knows what your vision is, would know best. People who try to talk you out of things instead of actually helping you do nothing but hinder your progress as a photographer. Trying to talk you out of a piece of kit for a legitimate reason is one thing; trying to talk you out of it for as petty of a reason as them thinking you already have too much is another.

So yeah, that about sums up my rant post for the day.

I had a baby girl on December 6, 2007. Yay motherhood!

One camera. Two lenses. Three shots per week.

2008 Street Photography Project

Old 08-01-2005   #2
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Why on earth do you value the opinion of these guys? What are you doing in that chatroom anyway? You should be on this forum! We will talk you INTO buying gear! Seriously, if we would believe everything said in chatrooms or forums we would have funny equipement indeed.

jaapvphotography

Old 08-01-2005   #3
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Hehehe...why do you think I like it here so much? :P

You guys are great because you will actually answer questions without sarcastic, know-it-all smugness. I don't value the opinions of those kinds of people, it just ticks me off when they're like that because someone else may actually listen to them.

Old 08-01-2005   #4
Bertram2
Gone elsewhere

Stephanie,
don't forget how many idiots are out there in the www, and the very most of them meet in chatrooms because in the real world nobody wants to listen to them..
Don't waste your precious time to talk to them, it makes you just upset but is not helpful at all. Choose your interlocutors carefully, ask only those whose pics you've seen and whose arguments sound plausible and are opinion only.

Best regards,
Bertram

Old 08-01-2005   #5
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Stephanie: Unfortunately (and as you've discovered,) this kind of things happens a lot. I'm not sure why it is, though my thoughts tend to wonder about insecurity, techno-centric perspective, or similar issues.

Just let it roll off and find a better community. A lot of us who are serious about photography are also subject to GAS and just loving the camera as an object. There's nothing wrong with that, unless it gets in the way of making pictures, having fun, etc.

I know it's sometimes infuriating, but if I let it bother me, then their problem becomes my problem!

Trius

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 08-01-2005   #6
breakaway

Somehow I met with similar disdain from people like my parents to my friends. All along I've only fixed rangefinders and until only very recently, I manage to acquire a set of R2 with a Skopar 35/2.5P I for USD$575. I would consider it a real bargain but people around me have been telling me about how I shouldn't spend money anymore on gear since I have so much already. The reason I bought the kit was to really get the "look" I want from my photos with the availability of my unique LTM lenses.

Everyone questions me on the sensibility of spending money on new gear but nobody has asked me why did I want to but them. It saddens me greatly when the very people who ask these questions are people who're suppose to be close to you and all they care about is the you shoud spend less money.

Enough of a rant for the day...

Old 08-01-2005   #7
FrankS

Stephanie, why are you talking to them? Why are you listening to them? We're here for you.

Have you seen my ad for a chrome Bessa R? I'll throw in a I-61LD 50mm lens, just for you. $200 +shipping, satisfaction guaranteed.

photography makes me happy

Old 08-01-2005   #8
doubs43

Stephanie, remember this: Opinions are usually worth what you pay for them.... and that includes mine.

If you feel the need for more equipment then by all means decide what you want and then get it. Buy it to make YOU happy....... not someone else.

This is the best forum on the web, hands down. Still, I don't limit myself to rangefinders because SLR's have advantages that I want. If I'm unfamiliar with something, I'll ask for the benefit of other's experience. Then I'll make up my own mind and buy what pleases me. You'll be more at peace with your decisions if you ignore the negative input from others. Are you buying the new things to please them...... or you? It's not necessary for you to justify your wants/purchases. It's only required that it makes YOU happy.

That's MY opinion. FWIW.

Walker

Old 08-01-2005   #9
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Frank, no job means no camera for now. I'm on the hunt and taking photos with the ones I have. I'm hoping that I'll get one soon so that I can save up again...I'm going to have to use what little money I had put back for the new camera I wanted to pay bills until I get a new job.

Old 08-01-2005   #10
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
I'm really getting sick of having to justify to people, most of them people I've never met and people who have only seen a smattering of the total of my photography, why I want the gear that I want. To some people, no reason is good enough.
Stephanie, you don't have to justify to anybody why you do something a certain way. "Because I want to" is all the justification you need. What works for you may not work for somebody else, and vice versa.

I do understand your feeling and frustration. The net is full of personalities who seem to love to confront and intimidate. Remember, you don't have to "win", you don't have to have the last word. If they don't like what camera you have or how many cameras you have or what lens you use, or what film you use, that's their problem, not yours.

And again I'll echo the responses saying that we're very lucky to have such a great and (well, most of the time - LOL) mature crowd here. It's a refreshing break from most of the rest of the net.

Old 08-01-2005   #11
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

This would not be a chat room for Leica users who buy $5000 worth of gear to take lousy pictures of bums on benches would it? Buy what you want. Figure out what works for you.

Old 08-01-2005   #12
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

hey, I know exactly what you're saying, Stephanie.. I've seen your photos and I agree you need more/better gear

j/k

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 08-01-2005   #13
Little Prince

While what everyone above has said is true, I would also remember that if I aksed for opinions I would most certainly get them. Of course, I don't know what chatroom this was, or what you were doing there, or indeed if you asked for anyone's opinion at all. So forgive me if I conclude wrongly. But if you did ask for opinions, did you seriously expect that everyone would concur with you and mirror your own thoughts? People can only see things from their own points of view (which might be fashioned by various events we have no knowledge of). Though everyone expects others to be able to see things from their angle, it is in truth extremely difficult (IMHO anyway).

I have often reacted in a similiar way when discussing with a friend(s) about equipment. There were at least a few times when this friend of mine gushed about some lens/camera or the other (you can guess which brand) just because of what it cost. I can assure you he had never seen the item, used it or even read much about it. I'm not being critical of the person himself, but the attitude that owning an object (lens) that costs thousands transforms you into something great was distasteful to me. I know that we often gush about equipment here (me included). But trust me, this was different. I might have expressed annoyance at that time. I guess part of the reason was that I was battling myself. Anyway, this is not what I usually do. I encourage my friends to separate themselves from their money , becuase then they can all be pleased that they have what they really want. Plus, as someone else pointed out, broke loves company .

Stephanie, don't get me wrong here. I'm just offering you a view as a dispassionate, external observer. All said and done, you only have to satisfy yourself. I have always felt that when we care enough, though we might ask opinions, we only do what we really want to, regardless of what others say.

Old 08-01-2005   #14
Honu-Hugger

Wow...so many great responses I couldn't pick just one to quote and add my two-cents to . You know what you're doing, Stephanie, and if you do have a question I believe you will find sincere concern and advice here.

I use some odd-ball gear but it's not because I'm an idiot and didn't know better (it's in spite of the fact that I'm an idiot), and it is certainly not because someone over on Photo.net told me to. After more years than I care to acknowledge I've found what works for me...seems as though you are well on your way down that road yourself. To appropriately summarize this paste in all of the "opinions are like..." cliches you have already heard adnauseum . Good luck with your decision!!!

Old 08-01-2005   #15
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Well, I can put it this way. I come from a family that didn't have much when I was growing up and we still don't have much. Spending a large amount of money on anything is a big decision that I have to really think out. I don't have a disposable income like some people do. I don't even have anything remotely resembling extra money and I never have. Saving the money for a camera means, for me, sacrificing something else so that I can actually get it. To me, though, it's worth having.

I mean, I have film hanging over my computer that I've developed with my own hands. I have 12 cameras in various states of repair and disrepair sitting in this room with me. I try and get good deals on film/development supplies so that I'm not spending too much money. It has been a relatively inexpensive hobby so far.

I'm still living at home for now and I may not have a chance again to get something, especially once I start school and I really AM broke. People need to understand that if I say I need something or want something, it has been a decision that I haven't come to lightly. Then again, most people just jump to conclusions.

I don't even want the most expensive stuff. It isn't like I want to go out and buy the newest Leica M with the newest lenses. I just want something good that I can use that didn't come from a thrift shop, that has a variety of lenses and accessories, and can allow me to at the very least start getting together the type of kit I need for the photography I want to do. It's kind of depressing when people try and put down your wants and desires that way.

Old 08-01-2005   #16
Brian Sweeney

Save your money, post a WTB here.

This is one problem my daughter is never going to have.

Old 08-01-2005   #17
Brian Sweeney

BTW: If you can swing the M2, great. But if you are really strecthed out, a Canon 7 and lenses -like 3 or 4 lenses- will run about the same as that M2 body.

Old 08-01-2005   #18
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

I'm thinking of going LTM mount now, really, if I decide to stick with 35mm, and going with a Canon 7. Perhaps someone can pull out another Canonator for me when it comes that time.

And of course I'll ask here first. What girl wouldn't with all you lovely people with WAY too much gear? :P

Old 08-01-2005   #19
Brian Sweeney

That can be arranged.

Old 08-01-2005   #20
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Even a best friend can give you a funny face when you show him your newest acquisition. But who cares anyway. Every person on earth is an "idiot" in something, to quote the word of Honu-Hugger. My italian friend just bought his third jazz guitar (still having the other two!), and i can tell you, it cost him a truckload of money! My sister had about fifty pencils, while she was still painting!

Old 08-01-2005   #21
Krasnaya_Zvezda
Fotoapparat Kollektor

That was my affliction prior to camera GAS. I have 8 guitars, 2 trumpets, a sax, a clarinet, a piano and 2 keyboards... hardly have time for any of it anymore, with all this photo stuff to play with.

"Don't think, even--- the brain is a bit dangerous..."
--- Henri Cartier-Bresson

KZ

My Gallery

Old 08-01-2005   #22
phototone

It is not false economy to strive to own the best tools you can own for the art you practice. I play (amateur) saxophone. I own a pro-level saxophone. I will never have to purchase another sax, as I have as good as it gets. My only limitation is my own ability, not the tools.

If all photographers could get by with a 40mm lens, then why are there so many choices available to us?

Every photographer has his/her own vision. It is appropriate to make gear selections according to your own personal vision of what you want to achieve. This is not an arguable debate.
It is also appropriate to own a variety of equipment and formats if your vision cannot be contained within one format. Sometimes to expand our vision, we need to experiment with new formats, and possibly change or discard items along the way. Sometimes we go through phases where one format lies dormant for a while, to be discovered anew on a future date. Cameras do not add to the overhead of running a household, they do not require additional utilities, or regular meals. Like good books, they can be re-discovered over and over again.

MY RFF GALLERY

Old 08-01-2005   #23
Bertram2
Gone elsewhere

[quote=Bertram2.... whose arguments sound plausible and are opinion only.
Best regards,
Bertram[/QUOTE]

..and are NOT opinion only, would have been correct ! Sorry.
Bertram

Old 08-01-2005   #24
Honu-Hugger

And sometimes we need to satisfy immature fantasies: I could hardly wait to buy a Rollei 35 once I was on my own, mostly because my father wouldn't let me have one before then . The funny thing is most of what he didn't like about the camera is true; I probably still use it to this day with a measure of spite -- emotional maturity continues to elude me.

Old 08-01-2005   #25
Kevin
Rainbow Bridge

Well the Mamiya 6 is a great camera outside of the studio. I have taken mine on vacation and to bars loaded with delta 3200 shot wide open. The fact that the mount is collapsable makes it even more portable. The dials are really big and it feels good in the hand.

Obviously strangers LOOK when I am using this camera because it is somewhat large compared to a 35mm rangefinder. What were you planning on using it for...which shooting contexts?
Canonet QL17+QL19 Casio EX-P700 Contax G2+645AF Epson R-D1 Fuji GSW690+Natura Konica Hexar AF Leica M6+CM+Minilux Minolta CLE Mamiya 6+RZ67 Olympus E-410 Nikon D70 Sigma DP1 Voigtländer Bessa II Yashica Electro GSN

Leica 35mm 1.4 Summilux Aspherical + ASPH, 90mm 2.8 Tele-Elmarit VC 15mm 4.5 Heliar Asph, 28mm 1.9 Ultron Asph, 35mm 1.2 Nokton Asph, 40mm 1.4 Nokton SC, 50mm Nokton 1.5 Asph, 75mm 2.5 Heliar Contax G2 28mm 2.8 Biogon, 45mm 2.0 Planar, 90mm 2.8 Sonnar Minolta 40mm 2.0 Rokkor

Old 08-01-2005   #26
bmattock

Oh my. Dare I add something here?

With respect for everyone's individual opinion...malice towards none...please do not take this as any sort of attack or political statement....

Whenever I buy another firearm (yes, I have a lot of guns), people whose business it is not feel empowered to ask me "Haven't you got enough guns already? What could you possibly need more for?"

Or, they make a blanket statement, "It should be illegal for a person to own more than X number of guns." [Fill in the X with some arbitary number from 1 to 3]

It's the same with everything. When we moved into our new house, one of our neighbors thought it appropriate to ask us why we 'needed' three cars when there are just two of us.

Why did we need a house with four bedrooms when we have no children?

I don't 'need' more or better houses, guns, cars, or cameras. If I want them and can afford them, then it is no one's business but my own (and my wife's of course).

I got tired of trying to explain myself to such people. They always have perfectly good reasons for owning the things THEY own, they just don't grant others the same rights they have. I just ignore them and do as I please.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 08-01-2005   #27
Honu-Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock

With respect for everyone's individual opinion...malice towards none...please do not take this as any sort of attack or political statement....

Whenever I buy another firearm (yes, I have a lot of guns), people whose business it is not feel empowered to ask me "Haven't you got enough guns already? What could you possibly need more for?"

Or, they make a blanket statement, "It should be illegal for a person to own more than X number of guns." [Fill in the X with some arbitary number from 1 to 3]

It's the same with everything. When we moved into our new house, one of our neighbors thought it appropriate to ask us why we 'needed' three cars when there are just two of us.

Why did we need a house with four bedrooms when we have no children?

I don't 'need' more or better houses, guns, cars, or cameras. If I want them and can afford them, then it is no one's business but my own (and my wife's of course).

I got tired of trying to explain myself to such people. They always have perfectly good reasons for owning the things THEY own, they just don't grant others the same rights they have. I just ignore them and do as I please.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Hear! Hear!

Old 08-01-2005   #28
XAos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock

]Bill Mattocks
We desparately need a one camera a month law.

Old 08-01-2005   #29
kmack
do your job, then let go

Quote:

i have had my ups and downs
but wotthehell wotthehell
yesterday sceptres and crowns
fried oysters and velvet gowns
and today i herd with bums
i wake the world from sleep
as i caper and sing and leap
when i sing my wild free tune
wotthehell wotthehell
under the blear eyed moon
i am pelted with cast off shoon

By Don Marquis, in "archy and mehitabel," 1927
Do what you want to do, as long as it does not scare the horses, and you think it is worth doing.

Old 08-01-2005   #30
RichardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim

So yeah, that about sums up my rant post for the day.
What makes you think you have to justify anything to them?

Dick

Old 08-01-2005   #31
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

It's not that I have to, I suppose, but more that what they say makes me feel compelled to...like it's a crime to want what I want for some reason. Of course I know it isn't and of course I know that worrying about it is somewhat stupid because they have no idea who I am. I actually got kicked off a forum that I enjoyed because of it.

It seems to me that there are two kinds of photographers where this is concerned: those who try and help people make the best decisions as to their gear needs and those who, instead of just answering the questions asked, must ask why the gear is needed. I've noticed, with most of the latter type, that 'I want it' isn't a good enough answer.

Old 08-01-2005   #32
parks5920

Just remember this; the more you buy the happier you'll be!

GEAR = HAPPINESS!

Well, maybe not, but it works for me!

Old 08-01-2005   #33
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

I'm writing my congressmen and demanding a camera registration database! And only people in the military need a Rapidwinder! And how about that camera swap loophole??

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Last edited by JoeFriday : 08-01-2005 at 14:16.

Old 08-01-2005   #34
Byuphoto
Would like to upgrade

Stephanie you could tell them what I do. Do you need more teeth, because you are about to lose those. When I got rid of all my digital gear everyone said I was crazyand my busines would go down. I shoot more weddings than ever because of the low light ability of the rangefinder to do candlelight. I have five SLR bodies and the newest is over 20, once again the same thing. I started collecting old cameras and my sister, who has 6 cabinets full of ceramic birds asked me what I could possibly want with all those old cameras. Human nature is always going to be what I have is better and you should listen to me. I also have 4 Harley's heaven forbid. Never been able to master riding more than ona at a time but I keep trying.
MY point is be careful of whom you solicit advice. You may just get it
Well I am out the door to shoot some dragonflies. Now which 3 cameras do you guys think I should use? ;-)

My Blog

Old 08-01-2005   #35
einolu

Watch "The Fabulouse Life" on VH1 and feel better about your meager purchases. Did you know that Jay Z has a $600000 watch? How about the fact that Jonny Depp owns an island?

God I hate that show but I cant stop watching it :P.

einarsodinecs.com

Old 08-01-2005   #36
Brian Sweeney

> I actually got kicked off a forum that I enjoyed because of it.

How could you possibly have enjoyed a forum with such narrow-minded people? Your Home at RFF. Here you just run the risk of someone trying to adopt you.

Old 08-01-2005   #37
kiev4a

Stephanie:

The other day I was on an unnamed forum and said I was thrilled because I had picked up a nice 300mm lens for $70. The first response was "well, that lens isn't nearly as good as the later ED-IF model, which is what 'serious' photographers would want." (for several hundred dollars more) That was followed by several more posts running down my choice.

My response was that nowadays photography is my hobby and I really can't justify to cost of the newer lens when the older model will do just about anything I want it to do. I said I felt I had to balance "wants" v. actual "needs."

I remember (vaguely) when I was your age and spent hours reading magazine ads, lusting after Mirandas ("Sensorex" was a cool name for a camera and the female models they used to promote it were pretty cool, too). Then it was Nikons and/or Leicas. In the meantime I learned with what I could afford --a Petriflex -- then stepped up to a Mamiya 1000 TL. I eventually did get my Nikons and Leicas. But when I got them I discovered the sharpness of the pictures weren't really that much better--it was the feel and the ruggedness that put the top of the line cameras above the middle and lower tier brands. By that time I was a newspaper photographer and needed that reliability factor.

What I saying, I guess is there is nothing wrong with "wanting" whether it's cameras or cars or guns or a premium wine. But something else needed to become a good or great photographer is patience--when it comes to technique and equipment.

A lot of us joke around about GAS and the need to buy more equipment--buy--buy--buy. But the fact remains we can only use one camera and lens at a given time. There is no way I can go out to shoot and use 60 Russian rangefinders, my Nikons and assorted and sundry photo items. Another thing to consider is that a lot of the members of the forum have reached a time in life when they have more spendable income they can use to buy the stuff they couldn't afford when they were your age--not everyone fits that mold, but a lot do.

Patience, Stephanie. I know that's easy for me to say cuz I ain't 21. But if I were you I would try to get a few pieces of equipment -- telephoto, wide-ange and a decent body (your Nikon FE isn't a bad start). Or for larger format keep your eye open for something like a Mamiya C220. I wouldn't waste my time with a lot of really old gear like Argus and the FSU stuff (I can say that because I have a truckload) Get some good solid, reliable equipment that you don't have to tinker with constantly. Then shoot and shoot and shoot and study what you shoot. And don't pay any attention to those forum queens who try to belittle everyone else to make themselves feel superior. Most of them do a lot better bragging about their $5,000 f2.8 300mm than they do shooting photos.

Stay with it. I think all of us here in the forum admire your enthusiasm and determination. And those qualities, in the long run, are likely to mean more than whether you are taking photos with a Mamiya 7, a Leica M3 or a Yashica 124G.

Old 08-01-2005   #38
Honu-Hugger

I couldn't agree more; my only question is how did you acquire this wealth of wisdom at your young age (I have had the pleasure of meeting kiev4a -- he's in his mid to late thirties) .

Old 08-01-2005   #39
kiev4a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu-Hugger
I couldn't agree more; my only question is how did you acquire this wealth of wisdom at your young age (I have had the pleasure of meeting kiev4a -- he's in his mid to late thirties) .

OK, Doug. What are you shining me up for? "Late 30s?" You're after something.

Old 08-01-2005   #40
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Hey now...I have love for both my Argus cameras!

I'm getting rid of the Nikon if someone can point me to a better deal with a rangefinder camera and a 50mm f/2 lens. I'm also going to get rid of a couple other cameras if I can. I shoot 50mm a lot which is why I pretty much gathered cameras around me that have that focal length...but I'd like something wider eventually.

The Nikon is the biggest ticket camera that I own. The lens sells for 200 bucks on Keh.com and it's older than me. I think it's time to get rid of the 35mm SLR altogether and finally go straight to rangefinders.

Now if only I could find a buyer for the bloody Nikon I'd pick up...something.