Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

removing sticky goo with ???
Old 08-08-2005   #1
sbug
Acceptably Sharp

removing sticky goo with ???

I've seen lighter fluid and rubbing alcohol mentioned a lot but is there anything that is by far the best for freeing sticky focus rings? I am going to try my first repairs on a 1950's? Ansco/Agfa Karomat that I picked out of the neighbors trash 20 years ago when I was a kid. I can't seem to remember if there was a time when the focus wasn't stuck but I figure I should give a repair a try. I haven't completely identified the camera yet either (Very similar to a Karat 36 but not exact). I'll post a pic tomorrow if I have a chance. Thanks!

Got a nice Gossen light meter out of that same trash raid as well. It was a good find and no, trash picking has not become a habit. They had moved away a few days before trash pickup for the week and they asked me to toss a bunch of stuff out of their garage for them. I was only expecting to take some bags to the curb but I came away with a neat camera and a great light meter.

Old 08-08-2005   #2
kmack
do your job, then let go

Naptha. I buy it by the quart.

Old 08-08-2005   #3
captainslack
Five Goats Hunter

You're reading my mind, sbug!!! I got a Welmy 6 folder from the flea market the other day and it's focus & shutter rings are stuck tight.

Naptha, huh? How should it be applied? Just a drop on the ring and let it soak in or should I try to remove the ring itself and apply directly to the gears?

Old 08-08-2005   #4
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

You can try a SMALL few drips around the focus ring with light fluid, let it soak a bit, then try and move the focus rings.

Old 08-08-2005   #5
captainslack
Five Goats Hunter

Worked like a charm on the focus ring, but the shutter dial is still stuck tight.

Old 09-16-2005   #6
ricpr
Rich

Hello.... New to the forum here. Can you elaborate on this fix. I have an Agfa Karat that I just received and the rangefinder focus knob does not move at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2005   #7
MacDaddy
Certified Machead

From a chemically safe standpoint, denatured alchol is best! Plus, it evaporates without any residue, and will not interfer with any type of lubricant used on the lens. (Going back to my OTHER hobby here—woodworking) A SMALL dose of WD40 might break loose the jamup, but I'd let it work for 12-24 hours before I tried anything else. Works great to bust the rust, too! Just my 2 cents worth!

Geezerdude

Old 09-21-2005   #8
sbug
Acceptably Sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricpr
Hello.... New to the forum here. Can you elaborate on this fix. I have an Agfa Karat that I just received and the rangefinder focus knob does not move at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
More info here: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...t=Agfa%2FAnsco

Scott

Old 09-21-2005   #9
ZeissFan

If it's the lens helicals, then the best method is remove the lens completely, clean with either lighter fluid or Goof Off (xylene -- beware of fumes and keep it away from plastic objects). Then relube, reassemble and collimate.