Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 08-17-2005   #41
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedzilla_Bob
Gas here hasn't hit 3 bucks yet. It gets close downtown at 2.95 per gallon. I have o stop driving at 80 mph.

We Americans have been spared the worst gas prices. But still, it's higher than I want it to be.

Went out for a walk before meeting the family at dinner and took shots of the "Gas Lamp" downtown near my office. Grabbed a few shots of the architecture. Also tried to sneek a shot of Mexican sailors (the Mexican Navy is in town, as they often are). Snappy uniforms. Similar to Russian Seamen.

Went out to dinner after that at the restaurant my stepson serves at. Had excellent seared tuna in a crispy phylo (filo) crust. Delicious.
Sounds like a good dinner! I wish I could offer stuff like that to my customers(I'm a chef)but if I try anything too fancy it doesn't sell
Heck, I tried making gazpatcho for a soup a couple of weeks ago during our record high temperatures and won a bet from one of my other cooks--someone sent heir "tomato" soup back cuz it was cold
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 08-17-2005   #42
Fedzilla_Bob
man with cat

I was lucky, we had a discount due to Nick's employment there. It's right next to Petco Park and it wasn't filled tonight since the Pods are in Florida. I will be seeing them on the 7th.

First time I had Gaspacho, when I was 14, I asked the hostess if it was "Eskimo Soup." I was invited back for borscht.
I'm a goin fishing, yes I'm goin fishing
and my Baby goin fishing, too

Taj Mahall

My Gallery

Last edited by Fedzilla_Bob : 08-17-2005 at 22:11.

Old 08-17-2005   #43
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

LOL!
Sack time for me now.
See ya'll next time!
Rob

--Mark Twain

Old 08-18-2005   #44
Terence T
Where'd my Bessa go?

Just back from work... where'd everyone go?

V i s i t . M y . P h o t o . B l o g

E m a i l . M e ( N o . P M . P l e a s e )

Old 08-18-2005   #45
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
I have been reading a book on the history of the Magnum photo agency and mucking around with Lava Life. Reading the book is enjoyable, Lava Life, lets say the jury is out for now. I don't think you meet women any easier online than in real life.

Bill

Old 08-18-2005   #46
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

We have a slight chance of storm this morning. Which is good: Illinois corn (and my lawn) needs water.

Other than that, I've been lugging one of my Leicas and the Elmarit 135 in hopes of catching the college bands practicing around here.

How's everyone this morning?
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 08-18-2005   #47
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedzilla_Bob
I was lucky, we had a discount due to Nick's employment there. It's right next to Petco Park and it wasn't filled tonight since the Pods are in Florida. I will be seeing them on the 7th.

First time I had Gaspacho, when I was 14, I asked the hostess if it was "Eskimo Soup." I was invited back for borscht.
Well, you might look for a good Korean restaurant that sells neng myon. A cold noodle soup. On hot days, a really enjoyable treat if it is made right. That is the challenge. Ham Hung neng myon (a north Korean version) is considered a real treat. It should be made with bone soup, thin slices of beef, buckwheat noodles, asian pear slices, and wasabi, perhaps some red pepper paste to taste.

Old 08-18-2005   #48
Bill K.

Hi rbiemer,

Your "cold tomato soup" episode made me laugh. It reminded me of a similar tale of an individual that I worked with who ordered "Steak Tartar" well done.

This is a fun tread. Regards to all,

Bill K.

Old 08-18-2005   #49
Andrew Sowerby

Quote:
Originally Posted by backalley photo
big news here - gas is now 102.9 A LITRE
The (nearly) cross-Canada gas report: This morning I noticed that it's at $112.9 a litre here! Sometimes I'm happy that I don't have a car . . .

EDIT: Er . . . make that $1.129 per litre!

Last edited by Andrew Sowerby : 08-18-2005 at 08:44.

Old 08-18-2005   #50
Kris
In Tritone I Trust

Geez! $112.9 a litre? That's more expensive than one of the best Scotch or brandy! No way I'm gonna own a car if cost of petrol is that much. Here we already complain when the price is higher than $1 a litre!

Old 08-18-2005   #51
FrankS

I've got a total of 11 rolls of film hanging in my darkroom, ready to put into plastic sleeves. I have a bunch of printing to do before I can get to this new stuff. (The Leicas have been good to me, providing lots of inspiration to shoot. )

The printing I have to get cught up on is: a wedding at which I was jsut a guest from the beginning of the summer, a retirement garden party for a great school administrator who retired, some psotcard-sized prints from my cottage series to go along with my framed prints for sale at a local store, and a wedding print order from a wedding I did 2 years ago. This couple also want me to do some pregnant belly shots this Sept. This is the second couple whose wedding I've photographed that have come back asking for some pregnancy shots.

Photography is great in the sense that you are invited to very intimate and personal moments of families.

photography makes me happy

Old 08-18-2005   #52
Terence T
Where'd my Bessa go?

Fuel prices in Canada is getting close to what it is here in Singapore. We've been enjoying gas at C$120.9/litre prices for a while now.

V i s i t . M y . P h o t o . B l o g

E m a i l . M e ( N o . P M . P l e a s e )

Old 08-18-2005   #53
Kris
In Tritone I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo Gozales
A Canadian buck sure doesn't buy much; perhaps revaluation is in order.

ManGo
Yeah, Canadian bucks must be made of the cheapest paper they can get while we the Commonwealth people use the highest quality silk and gold inks for our money.

Old 08-18-2005   #54
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
Yeah, Canadian bucks must be made of the cheapest paper they can get while we the Commonwealth people use the highest quality silk and gold inks for our money.
Last time I checked we were still part of the Commonwealth as well

I haven't heard HRH Queenie Liz say "Away with you Canadians; we are not amused !"

Actually the Canadian dollar has been doing quite well against the U.S. greenback and as such, makes for us gearheads not caring too much when it comes to buying from "South Of The Border..."

Dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

ITS THE MAGIC I SEE IN THE Light, Texture, & Tone
that Intoxicates Me - Helen Hill

My Flickr - it's where I post my RF and P&S shtuff

Old 08-18-2005   #55
bmattock

I just hate the Looney. When you're in Montreal and you get pan-handled by the ten thousand college students who are too lazy to work but just thrust their hats at you and obstruct the sidewalks, the Loonie is all you have in your pockets and it is $2 CDN each time you throw one at them. On the bright side, you can throw it really hard, it's pretty good-sized. And oh yes, the Canadian Loonie is worth about a nickle US, right? Nevermind!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 08-18-2005   #56
back alley
IMAGES

i never give $$ to panhandlers

Old 08-18-2005   #57
FrankS

The time that the Toronto area RFF group met in Kensington Market, I spent part of the morning at Church and Queen St. where the large camera store is. I bought myself one of those street cart sausages (I know they're not good for you but I like them and I get downtown so rarely.) Anyway, a panhandler came up and asked me for lunch. "I'd prefer a sausage, but a hotdog would be okay." he said. I bought him a hotdaog since I kew the money was going towards food. I didn't spring for a sausage because I didn't want to remove any initiative he might have to work hard, pull himself up, and earn the money for a sausage.

Old 08-18-2005   #58
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock
I just hate the Looney. When you're in Montreal and you get pan-handled by the ten thousand college students who are too lazy to work but just thrust their hats at you and obstruct the sidewalks, the Loonie is all you have in your pockets and it is $2 CDN each time you throw one at them. On the bright side, you can throw it really hard, it's pretty good-sized. And oh yes, the Canadian Loonie is worth about a nickle US, right? Nevermind!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
You mean a toonie The loonie is only $1 but they're both about the same weight and size - just different in color.

I often thought that we (Canadians) would soon become like the good old fashioned "pirates" carrying around our money in pouches on our belts - walking around downtown yelling "arrrrrrrrrrggh Matey!!" with patches over our eyes and parots on our shoulders

And no, the Canadian Loonie is now worth about 0.83 USD - your dollar is slipping and has been for the past year against ours

Dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

Old 08-18-2005   #59
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K.
Hi rbiemer,

Your "cold tomato soup" episode made me laugh. It reminded me of a similar tale of an individual that I worked with who ordered "Steak Tartar" well done.

This is a fun tread. Regards to all,

Bill K.
Any time several of us chefs/cooks get together we play "I've got the dumbest customer" game...we collectivley do know that those people walking in the doors of our restaraunts are who really pay our wages. But after an average 50 hour work week, we all need to blow off a little steam. So far I'm still winning with a customer who told their wait-person that they were "allergic" to ginger and could I leave it out of the chicken stir-fry. I did. The customer sent the food back because I changed the recipe!
Still, I wouldn't do anything else.
Rob

--Mark Twain

Old 08-18-2005   #60
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
The time that the Toronto area RFF group met in Kensington Market, I spent part of the morning at Church and Queen St. where the large camera store is. I bought myself one of those street cart sausages (I know they're not good for you but I like them and I get downtown so rarely.) Anyway, a panhandler came up and asked me for lunch. "I'd prefer a sausage, but a hotdog would be okay." he said. I bought him a hotdaog since I kew the money was going towards food. I didn't spring for a sausage because I didn't want to remove any initiative he might have to work hard, pull himself up, and earn the money for a sausage.
Good call.. the homeless situation in the downtown core is something that we have to "fix" - ideally by first getting these folks homes and then getting them back to "functional" status - the hard part is that the individuals have to WANT to get back to that status.

Dave

Old 08-18-2005   #61
FrankS

Dave, I've seen that guy. Did he not object to a picture being taken? How did you handle that situation? Did you ask first? Great shot.

Most of the homeless people are mentally unwell and can't, rather than won't get it together.

Old 08-18-2005   #62
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Quote:
Dave, I've seen that guy. Did he not object to a picture being taken? How did you handle that situation? Did you ask first? Great shot.

Most of the homeless people are mentally unwell and can't, rather than won't get it together.
This is the beauty of this rangefinder (or all rangefinders) - I saw him there and he was asking for change and as I walked by I reached into my pocket for a loonie.

I approached him and he held out the cup and immediately said "Hey, that's a nice camera what is it ?" I showed him the camera lens first and snapped. the 15mm is great for that I've noticed.

I dropped the coin in his cup and then he asked if he could see any pictures on the back of the camera. I told him no because it's an "old fashioned" camera and then I showed him the back of it. "Cool" he said and we parted ways wishing each other a good day.

I concur that some of the homeless aren't too stable but most of them just want some change for either food or drink (and sometimes not just a coffee.. but ya.. we all have our vices; just that I or others can afford ours..) and to be treated like a human being.

I think the hardest part is knowing that they are just that; human. We tend to forget that sometimes.

Dave

Old 08-18-2005   #63
FrankS

Cool.

You're absolutely right of course. We/they are all human beings deserving of respect/sympathy/tolerance/help etc. Life can turn on a dime, and "There, but for the grace of god, go I." (I'm not sure who said that first, anyone know?

Old 08-18-2005   #64
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
Cool.

You're absolutely right of course. We/they are all human beings deserving of respect/sympathy/tolerance/help etc. Life can turn on a dime, and "There, but for the grace of god, go I." (I'm not sure who said that first, anyone know?
Try this:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...ages/1071.html
Rob

--Mark Twain

Old 08-18-2005   #65
FrankS

Thank you for that, Rob!

Old 08-18-2005   #66
Andrew Sowerby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsang
. . . walking around downtown yelling "arrrrrrrrrrggh Matey!!" with patches over our eyes and parots on our shoulders . . .
Ah! I see you've been to Halifax!

Old 08-18-2005   #67
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sowerby
Ah! I see you've been to Halifax!
hehehe....
I thought you guys were more like this:
"Aye dere bye, what says we go and gets ourselves a beer!!!" (and then you realize it's only 9:30am !!!)

No.. I haven't been to Halifax.. but I've heard good things about it; including the copious amounts of bars that are in that fine city

Cheers
Dave

Old 08-18-2005   #68
bmattock

Quote:
Depends. In San Francisco, I'd agree. In Atlanta, it was aggressive, nearly mugging type situations ("gimme dolla") and in Montreal, it was college-age kids hanging around with their friends, skateboards, radios, etc - and hats out for change. They'd stand in front of you and walk backwards, loudly complaining that you were a cheapskate American tourist just looking for hookers until you pitched in a Loonie (or a Toonie, who knew).

I think we all have the level we feel comfortable with when dealing with the homeless or less fortunate. I tend to give away whatever I have in my pockets to the first person who asks, but I don't pretend I don't see the rest or turn my head or whatever. I just don't have any more on me, so that's that. I'll look the rest of them in the eye and say 'Sorry, no' when they ask. I don't judge what they need it for or what their problem is.

I used to be angry at homeless beggers. I took the advice I read in Ann Landers once when I lived/worked in Denver. I bought a book of free food coupons at McDonalds and handed those out instead of money. I got cursed at, had them thrown back in my face, torn up and dropped on the ground, etc. They didn't want money 'to eat' as they said - they wanted money for booze. So I got angry and refused to give money to them again.

But I'm over that now. I'm old, I'm a soft touch, and ultimately, we are called to give it all away anyway. I don't judge them - but I know that many of them are just lazy stinking bums, sorry. I just don't know which ones have genuine need and which ones are lazy bums. I'll still give them money, but I'm not going to pretend that all of them are tragic or in genuine need.

Ever get the 'I'm just trying to get enough to get a bus ticket back to XXX?' story? I've heard it at least a dozen times, with variations. Of course it isn't true. But to let people keep their dignity, I'll pretend it is.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 08-18-2005   #69
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

I have the film I got from Joe(Friday) in my Meopta and I'm ready to go shoot it. Thinking of possibly going to Brewer Creek here in Webster City for a bit of photography. I'm also trying to get a wireless network set up in the house. I also want to develop 2 rolls of film today and possibly the third from the Meopta. Scans have to wait because I have no money.

I'm actually having a great day.

I had a baby girl on December 6, 2007. Yay motherhood!

One camera. Two lenses. Three shots per week.

2008 Street Photography Project

Old 08-18-2005   #70
Peter L

In the UK Diesel is going up in price at least twicw a week at the moment its 95.9 pence a litre how does that compare with US? I am driving to visit a friend in France in a few weeks looking forward to some cheap Fuel,Wine and restaurants and some great shots of rural France althugh I understand the French have some new privacy laws which if your not careful you can cross anyone know anything about that?

Old 08-18-2005   #71
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Interesting motorcycling trips. I have cycled from Atlanta to Canada on Yamaha 750 years ago, from Atlanta to Dallas once on my Suzuki GS550, all over the place on my first bike a gorgeous Yamaha DT250 street and trail bike..Did many long trips on cycles but I dont even ride anymore. I carry too much junk like fishing poles, golf clubs, etc...

Old 08-18-2005   #72
Little Prince

So Rob is at least 750 years old .

Old 08-18-2005   #73
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

I don't think that's quite what he meant...

Old 08-18-2005   #74
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

i'm on my third day of moving/unpacking. today i put my recent negs in sleeves and looked at some wet priints i did in highschool...man some of them are sweet. I wonder if i'll be able to print like that with photoshop. Of course, there were days it took me an hour and half a box of test strips to get that swet print.

maybe i'll scann them. i've not got the negs anymore

Old 08-18-2005   #75
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiemer
Any time several of us chefs/cooks get together we play "I've got the dumbest customer" game...we collectivley do know that those people walking in the doors of our restaraunts are who really pay our wages. But after an average 50 hour work week, we all need to blow off a little steam. So far I'm still winning with a customer who told their wait-person that they were "allergic" to ginger and could I leave it out of the chicken stir-fry. I did. The customer sent the food back because I changed the recipe!
Still, I wouldn't do anything else.
Rob
You reminded me of a story that I should share about cooking. I made what I call 'rolled up lasagna' for lack of a better term since I have no real idea what they're calling it in Italy. It consists of lasagna noodles spread with a filling that consists of two kinds of meat, three cheeses, spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes, and then rolled up. They're then placed in a flat cake pan and covered with homemade marinara sauce.

My grandmother, who is a wonderful lady, hates garlic. How she can like very Italian food and hate garlic I have no clue, but it came to my attention when she ate my marinara that she loved the taste...and I always load it up with garlic because I absolutely love it! I think she thinks of garlic as tasting as it does on garlic bread.

I spent four hours cooking the sauce because the tomatoes I used were apparently not quite ripe enough and took a while to cook down...I ended up using a food processor (gasp) at the end because it just wasn't getting there. I've learned to never let her know what's in a dish until after she's done eating it and the same goes for my boyfriend. I know what both of them are allergic to so I know what not to put in certain things and my boyfriend, who hates spinach, ate these up and my grandmother, who hates garlic, told me that I should bottle the sauce so that we can use it on spaghetti.

Sometimes I think that people don't really know what they do and do not like.

Old 08-18-2005   #76
Byuphoto
Would like to upgrade

Right now I am very busy moving to the new studio. I sold my half of the construction comapany and opened a full time Studio/gallery. I have plenty of contracts and clients to shoot. I do High scool portraits and sports along with weddings. The studio has living quarters in the back. It is small but I live alone. I just got a great deal on a Bronica 645 and tripod for the studio and I have the lights , reflectors and backgrounds already. I will post a pic when the air brusher finishes my sign. I am at the point in my life when it is now or never if I want to give this a whirl.
As far as motorcycles. I had some small Hondas when young and in school. When I got out of the service in '77 I bought a brand new '77 H-D Low Rider. I drove it from San Diego to NE La. In '86 I drove it to the big bike rally at Sturgis, SD. Took me three days, just camping and riding. That bike was stolen in '98.
I now have a restored '73 H-D Servi-car. Planning on doing a photo/bike trip to the rockies next spring. The little 45" motor only goes about 50 MPH. I am going to stay off the interstate and ride and camp. Since it has a box trunk and I will have a little two-wheeled trailer. I will be able to take some good camera and camping gear. I will only be able to do about 100 miles at a time without stopping. the old spring solo seat will eat your butt

My Blog

Old 08-18-2005   #77
FrankS

Best wishes for your new endeavor, Rick!

Old 08-18-2005   #78
Kevin
Rainbow Bridge

The Pope was in town today.
Canonet QL17+QL19 Casio EX-P700 Contax G2+645AF Epson R-D1 Fuji GSW690+Natura Konica Hexar AF Leica M6+CM+Minilux Minolta CLE Mamiya 6+RZ67 Olympus E-410 Nikon D70 Sigma DP1 Voigtländer Bessa II Yashica Electro GSN

Leica 35mm 1.4 Summilux Aspherical + ASPH, 90mm 2.8 Tele-Elmarit VC 15mm 4.5 Heliar Asph, 28mm 1.9 Ultron Asph, 35mm 1.2 Nokton Asph, 40mm 1.4 Nokton SC, 50mm Nokton 1.5 Asph, 75mm 2.5 Heliar Contax G2 28mm 2.8 Biogon, 45mm 2.0 Planar, 90mm 2.8 Sonnar Minolta 40mm 2.0 Rokkor

Old 08-18-2005   #79
rogermota
the rain drops

Did he drink Coke or Pepsi?

Old 08-18-2005   #80
Kevin
Rainbow Bridge

Holy Water.
Canonet QL17+QL19 Casio EX-P700 Contax G2+645AF Epson R-D1 Fuji GSW690+Natura Konica Hexar AF Leica M6+CM+Minilux Minolta CLE Mamiya 6+RZ67 Olympus E-410 Nikon D70 Sigma DP1 Voigtländer Bessa II Yashica Electro GSN

Leica 35mm 1.4 Summilux Aspherical + ASPH, 90mm 2.8 Tele-Elmarit VC 15mm 4.5 Heliar Asph, 28mm 1.9 Ultron Asph, 35mm 1.2 Nokton Asph, 40mm 1.4 Nokton SC, 50mm Nokton 1.5 Asph, 75mm 2.5 Heliar Contax G2 28mm 2.8 Biogon, 45mm 2.0 Planar, 90mm 2.8 Sonnar Minolta 40mm 2.0 Rokkor