Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

My 2 Canon QL-17's - First Results & Thank You...
Old 09-02-2005   #1
Michael W

My 2 Canon QL-17's - First Results & Thank You...

I just wanted to post a quick thank you to all those members who helped me revitalize my 2 Canon QL-17 GIII's. I picked them up from a camera shop for $10 a piece that was selling off their used inventory (to make room for the latest umpteen megapixel, digital clone of a clone no doubt). They each came with a working Canolite D Flash, and the Black body even had a Canonet Hood with the RF cut-out. The silver body needed the front element removed and shutter blades cleaned, while the black needed only a minor clean and lube. I replaced the seals on both cameras using Jon Goodman's excellent kit. Here they are...

I've uploaded a few shots from the first roll of film from each camera to my gallery. I am really amazed at the results from these little cameras. The negatives were scanned using an old Minolta Dimage Dual Scan 2400 that I bought off eBay several years ago. For a long time now, I've been just grabbing the Sony digital for quick shots of the kids, etc... while my Nikon SLR's and lenses have been sitting in their cases. I've always wanted to give RF's a try, but never got past window shopping for Besa's on eBay.

Thanks again for all the help and support! I'm looking forward to making many great photos with these little cameras, and who knows, maybe one day even a Bessa R2...

All the best,

Michael

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1940'>My Gallery</a>

Old 09-02-2005   #2
zuikologist

Very nice indeed - I hope you enjoy them both.

Old 09-02-2005   #3
peter_n
~

Wow Michael they look brand new. Great shots in your gallery and I'm glad to see you're not afraid to use the lenses at wide apertures!

I have a QL-17 and mine arrived from eBay looking very sorry for itself. But a quick trip to Essex Camera for a CLA and I can't believe how good that lens is! Best of luck with the cams!

My RFF Gallery

Old 09-02-2005   #4
Beniliam
Out of the limelight

Excellent travel kit!

http://www.beniliam.com

Old 09-02-2005   #5
djon

Michael, nice shots... I hope you keep photographing people directly and up close, making personal contact and telling their stories.

The road to enlightenment is paved with excess.

John Kelly : Djon

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1194'>My Gallery</a>

Old 09-02-2005   #6
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
Michael,
I checked out your gallery, really nice photos. The fuji colour film scans really well and I think you scored big on the 2 QL17's. Then again I am biased, I am the proud owner of a QL17 myself. I almost prefer using colour film in this camera, what are the thoughts of other QL 17 users?

Bill

Old 09-02-2005   #7
peter_n
~

I've never used color in mine but I've got a couple of B&W shots with Neopan 400 and 1600 that I think really show the lens well. An amazing camera for the money.

My RFF Gallery

Old 09-02-2005   #8
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

The pix look great. Your cameras look like new, that black one was a super deal!

Old 09-02-2005   #9
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bill
Michael,
I checked out your gallery, really nice photos. The fuji colour film scans really well and I think you scored big on the 2 QL17's. Then again I am biased, I am the proud owner of a QL17 myself. I almost prefer using colour film in this camera, what are the thoughts of other QL 17 users?

Bill
One for color print.
One for b&W.
One for color slides.
One for Infared.

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

"Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 09-02-2005   #10
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

nice job on the pictures and the cameras... my GIII is my second favorite camera.. or is it the third? actually, it's probably more like the 4th or 5th.. but it seems to get used the most!

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 09-02-2005   #11
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

The black one is a beauty; they both are, but the one on the right is just very very nice. Indeed you scored big.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 09-16-2005   #12
maxim

HEY
any more of the black for sale ???
Love to have black one, now i have a silver

Old 09-16-2005   #13
Brian Sweeney

That black one is fairly rare, and goes for a good bit more than the chrome one. They are pretty cameras.

Old 09-16-2005   #14
taffer
void

Not only pretty but great users too.

Old 09-16-2005   #15
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bill
I almost prefer using colour film in this camera, what are the thoughts of other QL 17 users?
I shoot exclusively color (pardon the stateside spelling) these days and have for several years. Mostly Fuji. I'll occasionally convert to monochrome in Photoshop for a B&W print.

I'm glad the gang here talked me into picking up a GIII. I'm very impressed with what it can do.

As to the black model, hey, I admit I like the looks of the black model cameras, but when it comes down to it, it's a camera and not a fashion accessory.

Back a long time ago when I got my Pentax Spotmatic, I went for the black "press" model, and I now admit it was partly for the "ooooooohhh" factor from my friends at the time.

But anyway, you've got a nice pair of cameras there, and I know you will enjoy them.

Old 09-20-2005   #16
sbug
Acceptably Sharp

That black version is a beauty. Nice work. Did you happen to have to replace the meter in either of these? Mine has apparently dies and I am contemplating opening it up to replace it.
Scott

ps: I use mostly color neg.

Old 09-20-2005   #17
Michael W

No, both meters work fine. The silver body is more accurate, wheras I find the black body reads about a stop low (.ie. it over-exposes), especially in lower light, but I am able to compensate easily enough with the ASA dial. I am using Wein cells right now in both cameras, and the voltage checks out at exactly 1.36 on my meter.

All the best,

Michael

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1940'>My Gallery</a>