Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Hello again, which cameras to keep??
Old 07-25-2010   #1
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Hello again, which cameras to keep??

Hi everyone, it has been years since I have posted on these forums since going to digital. I still have a few rangefinders laying around that need some service. I used to do most repairs on stuff but as these items have been on my shelf for a year or so maybe I should do something with them...I have a couple Konica Auto S2's (one in the box), and a Ricoh 500G also. These are not my favorite cameras so I have done nothing with them. I actually want another Yashica GTN, GT, GSN, etc. I have gotten the best shots with them even with slide film... another I like is the Oly35RC and one is available nearby.. Can anyone tell me or show me how good the 500G is? Its the only rangefinder I have never shot. Does it compare to the GSN or Auto S2 cameras in image quality?
Thanks
Rob

Old 07-25-2010   #2
Roger Hicks

Quite honestly, Rob, the ONLY way to tell is to shoot a roll of film and see how you like it. Oh: and welcome back.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-25-2010   #3
ErnestoJL

In one or two weeks I can tell you about the 500G. Mine is under testing now, but there are some good examples of what this little camera can do in flickr. Mi decision to get one was biased just seeing the good pictures posted there.
Just type ricoh 500G and look for the flickr address.
I think that picture quality is good enough to justify keeping it.
BTW, I havenīt yet shoot with my Konica Auto S2... shame on me!
Cheers
Ernesto

Old 07-25-2010   #4
btgc

You may like 500G and 35RC for small size. To my taste little Oly is better built and has better VF. Electric Yashicas are good when they work, but they can suck your blood if they have issues.

KAS2 has very good VF surrounded by good body and lens. Girly DOF scale on body (hard to see without inverting camera, yet small) and long-travel, firm release button are drawbacks.

GSN compared to KAS2 are....hm, one is typical Yashinon and other - true Hexanon, you choose which you like better!

Old 07-25-2010   #5
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Thanks for the quick replies! I see this is still a friendly place! Taking a look at Flickr photos I see now what it was about the GSN that was so great. The vivid colors and the sharpness which is what I remember. I have worked on a bunch of these years ago.
So that is what I will get and sell these..
Thanks
Rob