Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

OT: disposable cameras with wide angle lens?
Old 10-14-2005   #1
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

OT: disposable cameras with wide angle lens?

More specifically the discontinued Konica super wide with a 17mm lens. Thought it would be neat to open one of these up and reload it with black and white or some better film. Anyone used one of these? I just happened to find a dozen of them locally for sale.
I know Konica made one of these and it was not a full frame camera but had a good 17mm lens on it, then it became the superwide full frame with 17mm lens on it. Then they discontinued it!

Here are some sample pics I found.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/photogra...isposable.html

Thanks!
Rob

Old 10-14-2005   #2
Poptart
Screw Loose & Fancy-Free

Don't think I ever saw one. Vivitar made an ultra wide cheapo reusable camera that I've seen a few times.

Old 10-14-2005   #3
derevaun
focus free

I'm about halfway through the roll it came with--too cheap to just rip it out and load the BW I wonder about the fact that it comes loaded with 800 speed film and a built-in flash--that may mean that it'll expose on the thin side with 400. In any case, it's pretty much the ugliest camera ever. The self-portrait mirror is a nice touch though. I'll try to finish it off tomorrow and file a report.

Old 10-16-2005   #4
derevaun
focus free

I finished its roll and dismantled the camera. Good news all around: it comes apart per the instructions at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hmpi/P...Disposable.htm with the exception that items 4 and 6 are really about the back of the camera. Other encouraging points:

The very wide body is composed of 2 very wide but nonessential pieces that snap over the actual body, which is about as wide as an ordinary disposable flash camera. Alas, they also hold the self-portrait mirror in place. They snap off without breaking--in fact, the whole camera comes apart without breaking anything. The counter wheel (27 exp max) is easily reset with a small screwdriver.

It uses standard 35mm film canisters with no need for altering the spindles, and the flash battery is a standard AAA cell. The flash capacitor is distant from the places one's fingers are likely to go when reloading in the dark. Still exposed, though.

Pretty decent all in all. The page linked above says it's f/13.5, 1/100.