Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

a quick question about the GIII QL17 lens
Old 10-29-2005   #1
Kat

a quick question about the GIII QL17 lens

I'm just a little confused, people have varying feedback about the quality of the Canonet QL17 GIII lens--some say it's very sharp, others say it's not as good as other brands like the Yashicas. I remember also reading that some lenses on this camera are better than others. Is there an inconsistency in the quality of the lenses? Is there any way to know if it's a good one (say, different batches made in different places, or different years), or do you have to actually use and test them and compare?

Old 10-29-2005   #2
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

It may be an inconsistency in the calibration of the rangefinder, or how they use the lightmeter. There are many variables involved. I have used both the QL17 and the Yashica Electro 35 and they are both very good.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 10-29-2005   #3
peter_n
~

Something is varying somewhere. I have read on other forums about some Canonets having less than stellar lenses. Below is a link from about 6 months ago on PN. Go past my pictures to a post by Michael Schub and read what he has to say. That is sort of typical.

Canonet in action

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-29-2005   #4
Beniliam
Out of the limelight

Kat, I cant talk about the other cameras. I only can post some photos taken with the Canonet lens. I have the M6. But I use much too the Canonet. Have good viewfinder and very good exposure system.

Its more easy to find than the Olympus, the Konicas ... Have better design for me that the Yashicas, too big in my opinion... All the cameras have great points positives, but dont exist the perfect camera.
I believe its one of the best buy in my life. Not only in photography.

http://www.beniliam.com

Old 10-29-2005   #5
peter_n
~

Fantastic pictures David! I particularly like the first one!

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-29-2005   #6
Beniliam
Out of the limelight

Gracias Peter. This canonet have great features!

http://www.beniliam.com

Old 10-29-2005   #7
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Yep, here are some of mine from my Canonet GIII QL17 (I'd post some from my Yashica Electro, but I'm getting ready to leave, and don't have any resized at the moment):

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 10-29-2005   #8
jan normandale
Film is the other way

I own one and was going to comment. Looking at the shots posted you have your answer! There's no need for my additional two cents.

it's all about light

Old 10-29-2005   #9
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Depends on the canonet if the meter is off, rangefinder off, lens loose on body, shutter speeds not accurate, small light leaks, choice of films can all cause a picture to look bad. Once properly serviced and these items fixed they can make some nice pictures but there are sharper lenses than the Canonet out there..

Old 10-29-2005   #10
jano
Evil Bokeh

I received mine a couple weeks ago. I must be one of those with a lower-quality lens, or perhaps expecting way too much. The test roll shows "sharp" results, but detail/resolution was somewhat disappointing for me. *shrug*

It is small, with a good weight, easy to load, quiet.
Jano

Old 10-29-2005   #11
Kat

Wow, those are great shots! Thanks for all the replies, I suppose those bunch of factors could be the culprits...I'll keep my fingers crossed that the one I impulsively purchased from ebay is fine.

Old 10-29-2005   #12
dmr
Registered Abuser

I'm tempted to post a couple of mine here but the examples here are so good it's not necessary.

The QL17 GIII is now my primary low-light camera and I'm very happy with it. The sharpness is superb, even when close to wide open.

Old 10-30-2005   #13
TPPhotog

I guess after all these years it will depend on how each individual Canonet has been used and abused.

There are poor examples out there, however I have a QL17 (small) and QL17 GIII both of which have lenses which are some of the best I've used. I find mine are tack sharp and nice and contrasty. I have friends that also use them and theirs are also superb.

You pays your money and takes your chances with all older cameras

Old 10-30-2005   #14
Brian Sweeney

I've had about 10 Canonet QL17 GIII's, and one now. Two waiting for parts for repair, making it 10 or more. They have ranged from very sharp to "okay". All were well calibrated with respect to the RF. At F4 all were quite good. Wide open, the one I have now seems sharper than the others. That one has a front module from a different Canonet. I suspect variation, perhaps something in the construction. The front element retaining ring is very thin, as is the front element. I cracked one (OOPS!) putting it back in. Learned to use a rubber gasket to tighten after that.