Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Am I paranoid about getting scammed here????
Old 10-30-2005   #1
clogwog

Am I paranoid about getting scammed here????

I bid and won on a leica lens on EEbay last tuesday no 7556394520

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....B:EOIBSA:AU:31

Here is a copy about the email correspondence we have had since. Am I just paranoid or is there something going on here???

Ps I have altered some of the personal details to protect privacy, but the rest is as send.

The first email is the one I send after winning the item. The correspondece that follows should be read from bottom to top for history.

Gerrit

Ist message:
Begin forwarded message:

Date: 25 October 2005 8:04:45 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: leica summicron-m 50mm f2 silver

I have bought this of you; please advise me of shipping cost (including insurance), payment methods, payment details and your address for verification. Thanks

Gerrit van Dijk
xx Macdonald St
Paddington, NSW 2021
0xxx xxxxxx

The rest from bottom up:

Date: 31 October 2005 12:12:14 PM
To: John Larson <[email protected]
Subject: Still Waiting for response

John

Still haven't heard again from you. Please respond urgently so I don't have to assume that you are what you say you are not!!!

thank you

gerrit

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 28 October 2005 10:45:37 AM
Cc: Fiona Landreth <[email protected]
Subject: Fwd: Waiting for response

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 28 October 2005 10:41:04 AM
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Fwd: Waiting for response

John Larson,

You wrote on 27 October 2005 at 7.02pm.

'Hello
I'm registered ebay user and I entered my private information to ebay such as credit
card and bank account, wire transfer is recorded with bank connected to my company.
So you are protected by ebay policy and bank finansial system. I'm honest ebay user and
I'm not going to scam anybody.
Please, e-mail me the payment process details.
Thank you'

IN NO WAY AM I SUGGESTING THAT YOU ARE NOT HONEST OR INTEND TO SCAM ME.

I am merely protecting myself from being scammed by anyone. The details you provided to ebay are between you and ebay, I can not get access to them. Ebay protection does not exist or is not adequate. Ebay says 'Buyer Beware' and suggest using approved escrow services.

Although the wire transfer will be recorded by your bank this does not protect me in anyway. Nor does the 'bank financial system'. I'm not quite sure how an account in the name of 'Miss Olga Klimentieva (Savings Account)' can be connected to your company.

I do note that you haven't responded to my requests made in the email send on 26 october 2005 (which is attached underneath)and that you work for/own a company. The 'common sense' precautions that I require for this transaction to proceed should therefore not bother you.

As I do not expect you to send this lens to me in 'good faith' and hope/trust that I will pay you for it, so should you not expect me to send you $973 into someone's bank account in the hope/trust you will send me my lens 'a couple of days' later. To do so would be naive in the extreme.

I request that;

- You send me verifiable address/identity details and exactly matching bank account details.

or

- Accept an ebay approved escrow service like www.escrowaustralia.com.au

or

- Accept payment via PayPal with my creditcard.

I also remind you that we have a legally binding contract of sale. And whilst I do not whish to infer any fraud on your behalf, I will report any fraudulent behaviour to both ebay and the police.

Hope we can soon finalize our deal to a mutually satisfactory outcome.

Regards

Gerrit van Dijk

'I'm registered ebay user and I entered my private information to ebay such as credit
card and bank account, wire transfer is recorded with bank connected to my company.
So you are protected by ebay policy and bank finansial system. I'm honest ebay user and
I'm not going to scam anybody.
Please, e-mail me the payment process details.
Thank you'

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 27 October 2005 1:17:25 PM
To: John Larson <[email protected]>
Subject: Waiting for response

Dear John,

I am still waiting on your response to my email send to yesterday, which is included underneath

thanx gerrit
Begin forwarded message:

Date: 26 October 2005 10:05:36 AM
Subject: Re: Congratulation!!! You are the winner.

I have bought this of you; I will need to know your physical address (that is verifiable!!) and will only deposit into a bank account that is yours and exactly matched to your identity.

Alternatively I can pay via Pay pal( credit card) or would consider an approved escrow service (and will accept part of the cost for this)like ebay approved www.escrowaustralia.com.au .

As you are new to ebay, have a (0)rating, have a hotmail email-address and not a ISP email, have not provided me with an checkable address as requested in yesterdays email I do feel the need to prudent and cautious about depositing $973,- into another persons bank account(whom I don't know either), which after deposit is un-retrievable for goods I cannot verify.

As I am recent to ebay myself I hope that you can appreciate my caution and hope you will respond soon so I can pay you safely and recieve my new lens

thanx
Gerrit

Gerrit van Dijk
xxx Macdonald St
Paddington, NSW 2021
041x xxx xxx

Shipping Address

Gerrit van Dijk
xx Macdonald St
Paddington, NSW 2021
04xx xxxx xxxx

On 25/10/2005, at 8:55 AM, John Larson wrote:

Hello.

Shipping is $12 via FedEx.
Total price is $973 (include shipping).

Please do bank wire transfer to :

Name: Commonwealth Bank
Account Name: Miss Olga Klimentieva (Savings Account)
BSB Number: 062 xxx
Account Number: 103xxxxx
Swift Code (if needed): CTBAAU2S

Item will be shipped no earlier than in a business week,
we must register insurance from damages while shipping and withdraw the funds.
Please, reply to this e-mail with your shipping address.
Thank you.

__________________________________________________ _______________
View 1000s of pictures, profiles and more now at Lavalife http://lavalife.com.au

Old 10-30-2005   #2
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Who in the world ever receives a like new Leica system as a gift? You'd have to be bonkers to throw something like that at someone who wouldn't use it. I just don't buy that kind of hooplah. Things like these smell too much like 'it just fell off a truck' to me.

If I were you, I'd wait a while. If they're truely selling something legitimate, they'll get back to you with real credentials, and if not, count yourself lucky for not losing $900 or so, and don't spend your energy on scouting the globe for someone called 'Olga'.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 10-31-2005   #3
thedilettante

Hey Gerrit

Don't do it. If the "guy's" supposed to be Adelaide & can't give you a 'phone number & address then he is either not in Adelaide or is but doesn't want you to be able to trace him. Either way it's no good.

You haven't been scammed until you part with the cash.

just my 2cents.
Ben

Old 10-31-2005   #4
bobofish
Two-fisted Atom Smasher

Offer one last chance for a verifiable Paypal, etc. transaction.

Wait 2 days, then contact Ebay, report the buyer, etc. etc.

Also contact Commonwealth Bank if you can.

Sorry, but I think it's pretty clear that it's a scam. Good that you didn't simply send the money, as some trusting people would.

Old 10-31-2005   #5
Brian Sweeney

Zero-feedback user wanting lots of money transferred into someone elses account?

Ask them to send the item first, then you'll pay.

Old 10-31-2005   #6
clogwog

Thanks for your responses sofar. It- hopefully- confirms that I'm not going starck raving bonkers. does anyone have any experience in reporting 'likely fraud' to Ebay and/or the bank involved or even the police? Do any of them care?

Thanks

Gerrit

Old 10-31-2005   #7
Brian Sweeney

Ebay cares and will close the account. It should be in the safeharbor section.

Old 10-31-2005   #8
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Forget it, dont send him anything, contact Ebay, they will close his account. Bank transfers, throwaway email address, zero feedback, high priced item, 3rd party transfer are all red flags.

Old 10-31-2005   #9
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Few things I can *add* to the above:

1: He says he got the system and selling it bit by bit. Still, this is the ONLY item he is selling.
2: He's an e-bay member without ANY feedback selling a 1000$ item. Moreover, he registered to e-bay a week ago only.
3: That's not the way one should respond to emails of potential buyers, especially when it's about such an expensive item. Hell, Jon Goodman responds fifty times more detailed and courteous about his cheapo 6$ light seal kit!!! If he [i mean your seller, not JG] would work in a shop i would not enjoy buying stuff from him LIVE.

3: [and this is on his side:] to be 100% correct, he did *not* offer paypal as an option in the auction. You cannot blame him for not accepting your request in the email you've sent him, since you *knew* he is not accepting PayPal *before* you've bid. The escrow service is another matter; you are completely right with that, you should ask for it.

PS: don't you have anybody you know in adelaide that could pick the lens up personally? i find it the only safe way out.

Last edited by Pherdinand : 10-31-2005 at 04:37.

Old 10-31-2005   #10
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Another idea: the item could be stolen and he's not willing to risk to give his personal details out when selling it.

Old 10-31-2005   #11
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Ebay warns against paying for auctions by bank transfer or Western Union. There is no protection for the buyer.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 10-31-2005   #12
billbarber
Bill Barber

are you kidding me? DO NOT send this guy any money. If he has a business, he should have a merchant account. Everything looks wrong here starting from ZERO feedback. I don't have advice for what to do now, but do not wire any money unless you have the lense in your hands first.
I just looked at the listing. The picture(s) don't look like they were taken by anyone who would have equipment like this. He said he got it as a gift? Really, there are few people in this world that would give, much less receive, such a gift. Judging from the pics, it looks used. I get the feeling that it is stolen and he will list it again under another ID later.

Last edited by billbarber : 10-31-2005 at 05:47. Reason: add more

Old 10-31-2005   #13
shaaktiman

I think you would have to be nuts to send this guy a wire transfer.
Forget it. Just report this guy to ebay and give up on the lens that would never get sent to you anyway.

Old 10-31-2005   #14
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

I thought you meant here in RFF.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 10-31-2005   #15
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Unfortunately these guys feed off the greens. I almost got scammed once three years ago; I didn't know better and was blindingly trusting. The good thing is that the transaction was with PayPal and the shipment could be stopped and sent back to me, so it all turned out OK.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 10-31-2005   #16
ch1

It's like things in your refrigerator. If it smells bad - IT IS BAD!!!!

Do not pay or pass along any kind of account info - your original iquiry answers your question!!!! Yes, circular logic - figure it out!!!!