Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Old 10-02-2005   #41
ErnestoJL

Well, I have no troubles with this point.
My girlfriend does know nothing about photogrphy and doesn´t want to know anything else. Kind of natural rejection for the matters involved. Fortunately she´s got very good taste and sense of sthetics so she helps me a lot whe editing (the few times I do that).
So, she only asks for "what button shouold I press?" Then some kind of evolved APS (Yashica MG1) will fit perfectly, and that is what I allways offer her.

But, OTOH, she carries happily my 6 kg tripod when we´re out.
So, we both are happy!

Ernesto.

Old 10-02-2005   #42
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

She borrow my Canon 300D (aka Digital Rebel) from time to time, for she cannot afford film (she has a film Canon Rebel 2000) and won't take mine.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 10-02-2005   #43
Doug

Ben, my wife laughed her head off at your description of your wife's logic... partly because she agrees completely, using a Nikon Coolpix 990...

Old 10-02-2005   #44
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Diaz
My wife uses a Canonet QL17 GIII. I bought it for her new in 1975. I did not know, but maybe suspected subconsciously, that it would be an admirable camera for decades. It is overexposing kind of consistently these days. Probably needs a cleaning, but I may have a hard time getting it away from her.
Ah, she's a keeper. When I take my M6, either the Yashica or the Canonet come along; the Canonet if it's at night.

I also wonder if the air-zinc batteries, although they're 1.4 volt, make the lightmeter of the QL-III inconsistent. Last night I had my Gossen Digisix with me, because I took my Rolleiflex with my QL-III along, and I noticed that the readings were off by about 1 & 2/3 stops from each other; that's a lot.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 10-03-2005   #45
Flyfisher Tom

My sweetie (that would be my wife) uses a Nikon Fm3a with the pancake 45P lens.

Whenever I ask her if she wants me to pack more lenses on trips, she always politely declines and says she is totally happy with the one camera one lens philosophy. By the way, she takes far better pictures than I do. How did I meet this gem ;-)

Tom

Old 10-25-2005   #46
Frank Granovski

My wife uses the Contax G2; and when she's nice I let her use one of my Yashica Electro GSNs (under my supervision).

Old 10-25-2005   #47
XAos

Kelly (see avatar) is not allowed to use any of my cameras. She gets might suspicious of any new packages arriving which smell like old cameras & leather, and detests flash photography. She did like the GSN the most when it arrived. Fortunately I dont have to explain my camera(/motorcycle/fishing/gun/guitar/computer) purchases to her, and any minor indiscretions can be made up with a pinch of catnip or a can of tuna.

Old 10-25-2005   #48
Jason_K
Shooter

Thankfully my wife uses an S-500 Digital ELPH.

If she were shooting film I'd either be in the darkroom constantly or running to the lab daily - new baby in the house.

Old 10-25-2005   #49
Rick Waldroup

Hello Frank! My wife uses a Vivitar Series 1 P&S that has an incredible 38-140mm zoom lens. She also shoots a Nikon 775 Coolpix.

Old 10-25-2005   #50
Russ

She has difficulty focusing rangefinders, so she uses an N90s.

Russ

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

Old 10-25-2005   #51
MrRanger
Rangefinder Jockey

When she became interested, I gave her my old workhorse Minolta SRT 201 and Auto Makinon 80 - 200 mm w/ macro (She likes to take close-ups of her flowers). Of course, I decided I needed to get an XD-11 - just in case I ever needed another SLR!

Mike
Yashica Electro 35 Professional

probably. . .
Old 10-25-2005   #52
sf

probably. . .

She is probably using an M3, Summicron combo. She hates digital. Can't say for sure, though. haven't met her yet.

Old 10-26-2005   #53
RObert Budding

Hmmm. It's difficult for me to remember the last time she took a photo. None of the family pics nclude me!

Robert

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 10-26-2005   #54
unohuu

Maxxum QTsi with her Tamron 80-200mm zoom and 90mm macro for her garden. Is also an advocate of the one lens philosophy.

Old 10-26-2005   #55
Goodyear
Happy-snap ninja

My wife is far the better photographer of the two of us.

She is a lady of extremes - either BW or Velvia.

And it's either her Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 404si that her dad bought her for her birthday several years ago, or the Bronica SQ-A that her first real GAS attack brought into the family

The downside is that she hasn't got round to learning to soup or scan yet, so I spend a lot of time doing all that for her.

However, she has already said that when I get my Leica the Bessa R must not be sold - she wants it!

I have a blog.
And some images on Flickr.

Old 10-26-2005   #56
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
I have not met my current sweetie yet, my ex likes her canon digital. I hope my future sweetie would at very least appreciate the hobby/madness that is ours or jump right in.

Bill

Old 10-26-2005   #57
pedro.m.reis
Newbie but eager to learn

The Mrs is very fun of my DSLR 350D, and she asked my to buy her a cellular phone with a camera on it ...

Flickr

My Humble RRF Gallery

Old 10-26-2005   #58
Jeroen

My girl uses a Ricoh Caplio G3 (digital) and sometimes a Revue AC4 (German rebranded Chinon) SLR with a 50/1.4. Bought her a 28 and a 135 for a measly 10 euros each a few years back. She mainly uses the Ricoh, but the pictures from the Revue are better!

Last edited by Jeroen : 10-26-2005 at 07:04.

Old 11-01-2005   #59
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Mmm, I just dragged a lead-bag of film through Africa, my wife refused to part with her Leica Mini up till now. However, I made the mistake of letting her use my Digilux2 once at the beginning of the trip and all the film is unexposed in its bag still...

jaapvphotography

Nikon EM (beup! beup!)
Old 11-01-2005   #60
vladhed
R.I.P. 1997-2006

Nikon EM (beup! beup!)

Ignoring the fact that most Nikonophiles look down there noses at it, my wife swears by her Nikon EM SLR(with the default 50mm f/1.8). It's been her staple for over 20 years, and has never failed to take a good shot. For trick exposures she would just borrow my FE.

Old 11-01-2005   #61
jtzordon
clicking away

Canon digital A510 I got her. But I ruin all her good photos by changing all the settings to how I like and forgetting to change it back!

Check out my rangefinder project at http://jason-rfproject.blogspot.com/

and other photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonthomas/

Old 11-01-2005   #62
ERV

My sweetie is the real pro in the family and she uses a canon 5D and canon lenses. When she switched from film to digital her m6 and 50 and 35 crons sat in a domke bag in the closet. I took it upon myself to liberate them from the darkness and the lenses have been on long term loan. She said I had to get my own M body, however.

Old 11-01-2005   #63
dostacos
Dan

my wife prefers water colors but she uses a Canon Rebel T2 when she is using film

Old 11-02-2005   #64
GeneW

My wife has always had trouble focusing any of my manual focus cameras. With an AF camera, she has a good eye and gets nice results.

Gene

Old 11-02-2005   #65
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Shes got a bag full of EOS gear, 2 film bodies, 4 lenses, big flash, big tripod. Its a lot to carry. I used to have all that stuff too now maybe I carry a small rangefinder and a good digital point & shoot and small tripod.

Old 11-02-2005   #66
scotty smith

She has tried everything I've used in the past 25 years, film and digital, but keeps defaulting to tha Olympus Stylus Epic. Cant say I blame her---great little P&S.

Old 09-11-2008   #67
feenej

Minolta auto SLR. I tried to get her to switch to digital 'cause we are awash in cheap prints that she just has to get each and every time, but no. I even offered to buy her a dSLR.

(not to mention all the envelopes of negatives of hers that I have not archived)

Last edited by feenej : 09-11-2008 at 06:01.

Old 09-11-2008   #68
Paul C. Perkins, MD
Perk11350

No current sweetie. Previous sweetie used a Nikon FG very competently. Ex wife used some AF Pentax 35mm and had no friggin' vision.

Old 09-11-2008   #69
bean_counter

My 12yo daughter uses a nice Canonet QL17 GIII. Meter is accurate w/ one of those air batteries; she happily snaps well exposed chromes. She has a pretty good eye, too.

My wife doesn't shoot; if she takes a shot, it's because she wants a picture of me and our daughter together. I set it up and focus with whatever camera I'm using, she steps in and takes the shot.

Old 09-11-2008   #70
ruby.monkey

Sweetie, Darling, She Who Must Be Obeyed... she uses my Pentax K100D with the kit 18-55mm zoom. It's the best P&S she's ever had.

Old 09-11-2008   #71
pesphoto

Nikon D3 camera

Old 09-11-2008   #72
marke

My "Sweetie" wife has been using the Panasonic FX01 compact digicam that I gave her last year before we were married. But last week I intoduced her to my Leica Minilux II. I think she liked it. But not to worry, a RF will always be more trouble than she cares to deal with while taking pictures. Still, it's nice to know that she will now be bragging to her friends about her Leica.

Leica MP & M3
Summilux 50/f1.4, Summicron 35/f2.0ASPH, Elmar-M 50/f2.8, VC-CS 25/f4

Leica IIIfRD
Summitar 50/f2.0
http://www.pbase.com/marke

Old 09-11-2008   #73
imush

My wife uses Pentax A3000. The thing only has a full 'A' or aperture priority, no manual exposure setting, but that is fine with her.

I tried to give her the old Spotmatic, but the meter is no longer reliable, and she doesn't want to fiddle with it anyway.

We have a nice array of Pentax lenses, both screw and A mount.

Old 09-11-2008   #74
eli griggs

I gave my wife a Minolta x-370 like she used in high school but she used our digital Canon (Power-Shot 85?) until it died recently. She was able to do some very nice close-up stuff with it and I enjoyed taking walks with her on which we each brought our cameras, film for me, pixels for her.

Personally I think she is better suited to digital and if I can, I'll find her another small camera as soon as I'm able.

Cheers

Old 09-11-2008   #75
sojournerphoto

My wife used to use an Olympus mju zoom, but that broke and I was shooting digital so she started using a Panasonic FZ20. Recently she has purloined my Ricoh GX100, which is now her small camera. Positively, she actually bothers to caryy it around and so I get to see pics of the children etc. Also, if I've got my 5D with me she has started a tendency of 'borrowing' that as well. She hasn't tried the Zorki, Ikon or 1Ds3 yet...

My 6 year old daughter uses a second hand Canon G7 and the 3 year old has a #sporticus' toy camera that she clisks away with. She has observed though that it only takes pictures of sporticus.

I've finally just about convinced the children that they can't look at the back of the AE-1 or RFs to see the picture just taken!

Old 09-11-2008   #76
Avotius
Some guy

She has good taste, but she stole it from me.

Old 09-11-2008   #77
vieri
Leica Ambassador

Despite my efforts, after I introduced her to photography with a FM2 + 45 pancake she loved the thing but wanted the instant gratification of digital; luckily for the wallet (!), when I got my M8 and asked her to try it she found RF focusing and all the manual stuff to be too hard for her (I just sold my M8s anyway); I asked to try my DSLR but they are too heavy (D3, formerly D2x), plus despite wanting to have huge focal length coverage she doesn't want to carry more than 1 (as light as possible) camera + 1 lens; so... I got her a Nikon D50 + 18-200 VR she loved, and then updated to a D80. However, she just recently asked me to get her a F100 and pleaded with me for developing her film - which I will, her F100 (and 28-200, I guess) is due any day now Maybe there is hope after all!

Old 09-11-2008   #78
tmfabian
I met a man once...

the little wifey shoots canon dslrs and hasselblads.

Old 09-11-2008   #79
julianphotoart
No likey digital-phooey

My wife purposely tries to know zero about cameras and photography. Nevertheless I convinced her to return to film after her digital P&S failed.

She uses a Nikon F75 with a normal 50mm f/1.8 AF-D lens (she didn't want to be troubled with a zoom). It's always in the point-and-shoot mode (the green square). It's always loaded with Kodak 200 Gold film. She gets everything processed at Costco.

Old 09-11-2008   #80
monochromejrnl

my wife's favouriet is the Yashica T4 Super... on occassion she'll grab my D200 with 50/1.2 Nikkor or the FA
here is the dilemma and the strength of photography... it is the easiest medium in which to be competent, but it is the hardest medium in which to have a personal vision that is readily identifiable... Chuck Close

we search for truth, sometimes we find beauty - Lisette Model