Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Scored Olympus XA2 but has cover problem..
Old 11-08-2005   #1
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Scored Olympus XA2 but has cover problem..

Just got this one from the local Goodwill store for $3.03 today. Had dead batteries in it, replaced them and it looks like its ready to go, still has good light seals. Only problem is the sliding cover will not lock open, it works but I have to hold it. Anyone got a fix for it? OOPS checked the shutter and sometimes it works right, other times it clicks but does not open..Oh well.
Rob

Old 11-08-2005   #2
Poptart
Screw Loose & Fancy-Free

I can tell you a few things about the XAs, having taken one apart. Under the cover that slides, there is a channel molded into the plastic; in the channel is a small chrome ball bearing. The bearing moving into place in the channel is what clicks the cover open. Your bearing is probably missing. The cover opening is also what turns on the electromagnet for the shutter. That was the main operational design flaw of the XA series and the thing that often goes wrong. If the cover doesn't open completely, the shutter release is locked.
What you need to do is find another XA series (buy one for parts) and salvage the bearing, then carefully transfer it into the channel. The bearing is much smaller than a BB so I doubt you could find an aftermarket replacement.

Old 11-09-2005   #3
Nick R.
Still here

On mine the bearing was shaped like a small pin not a ball. It looked like something you could make from an appropriately sized dowel, like maybe the wooden shaft of a cotton swab.

Old 11-09-2005   #4
elcud35rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Just got this one from the local Goodwill store for $3.03 today. Had dead batteries in it, replaced them and it looks like its ready to go, still has good light seals. Only problem is the sliding cover will not lock open, it works but I have to hold it. Anyone got a fix for it? OOPS checked the shutter and sometimes it works right, other times it clicks but does not open..Oh well.
Rob
How successful have you been at finding cameras/rangefinders at thrift stores? I am thinking of going to some local thrift stores to search. I hope I get a awsome find...possible a good condition and working LEICA?

Old 11-09-2005   #5
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcud35rc
How successful have you been at finding cameras/rangefinders at thrift stores? I am thinking of going to some local thrift stores to search. I hope I get a awsome find...possible a good condition and working LEICA?
The XA2 was missing the bearing. I also cleaned the magnet contacts for the shutter but it still was not reliable so probably an IC chip problem..
Into the trash it went...

Elcud35rc: Yes it is worth checking the thrift stores for cameras but your more likely to find a Canonet than a Leica! My best finds have been in antique malls.
Found Rolleiflex, Rolleicords, lots of Canonets, etc.. Big Flea markets are also hot spots for me.

Old 11-09-2005   #6
elcud35rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
The XA2 was missing the bearing. I also cleaned the magnet contacts for the shutter but it still was not reliable so probably an IC chip problem..
Into the trash it went...

Elcud35rc: Yes it is worth checking the thrift stores for cameras but your more likely to find a Canonet than a Leica! My best finds have been in antique malls.
Found Rolleiflex, Rolleicords, lots of Canonets, etc.. Big Flea markets are also hot spots for me.
There is a huge flea market in Pasadena, CA (Rose Bowl), but I don't know when it occurs. Are swap meets a good place to look?
I live in Southern California by the way. Got any good spots in this area?
Thanks.

Old 11-09-2005   #7
Poptart
Screw Loose & Fancy-Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcud35rc
I know one day I'll find that CL new in the boxes with a 28 and a 90 and maybe even a Visoflex II. It'll happen.