Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

perfect camera box for automobile
Old 11-23-2005   #1
djon

Thumbs up perfect camera box for automobile

I keep an approx 18" cubical ice chest, blue and white, in my back seat. Cameras etc go in there, protected from heat and looking like something nobody want to steal (they'd fear it was macaroni salad or tuna cassarole). That size is great, but I also keep a lunchbox-sized version in the front...big enough for one rfdr and accessories.

The big one is $15 at Wallyworld.

The road to enlightenment is paved with excess.

John Kelly : Djon

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1194'>My Gallery</a>

Old 11-23-2005   #2
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

but I don't like Wallyworld

actually, I found a few people online recommending that sort of thing when I was looking up ideas for nondescript camera bags.. another option is to buy a very girlie sort of diaper bag and put that your gear in that when it's in the car.. thieves generally don't want to mess with those

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 11-23-2005   #3
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

I always lock my gear in the car or have it on me. I have an alarm system that covers the trunk also I never leave anything in plain sight. Some folks will steal anything. They might think you have some cold beer in that cooler! Maybe a bag with "County Coroner" stenciled on it would keep some folks away.

Old 11-23-2005   #4
djon

Brett, I've heard your lab's been complaining about smelly film...

The road to enlightenment is paved with excess.

John Kelly : Djon

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1194'>My Gallery</a>

Old 11-23-2005   #5
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

well, I've been told my photos stink.. but I assumed that pertained to the subject matter

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 11-23-2005   #6
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

Working men in Spain and Portugal all carry their lunch to work in a replica Billingham bag.

That means that any photographer with a Billingham bag will be assumed to be carrying only bread and cheese.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward

Old 11-24-2005   #7
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Claremont
Working men in Spain and Portugal all carry their lunch to work in a replica Billingham bag.

That means that any photographer with a Billingham bag will be assumed to be carrying only bread and cheese.

is that true?

Old 11-24-2005   #8
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by djon
I keep an approx 18" cubical ice chest, blue and white, in my back seat. Cameras etc go in there, protected from heat and looking like something nobody want to steal...
You mean I haven't told you guys my bull-semen story?

It's true -- I ran across it on the incident report when I was working as a police reporter/photographer for a newspaper in western Iowa. Two guys were driving home from an auction in western Nebraska, where they had bought some pedigreed bull semen for use to artificially inseminate cows on their farms. Semen from a prize bull is valuable, and they had paid, if I recall correctly, about $2,000 for this batch.

The stuff also is perishable, so normally it's carried in a stainless-steel flask that looks a lot like a large old-fashioned Thermos(r) bottle. They had this flask in an ice chest that was locked in the toolbox of their pickup truck (the big, bolted-in, clamshell-type toolbox that a lot of farmers carry.)

Anyway, they had stopped off in our town for dinner at a truck-stop/bar and wound up being away from the truck for a couple of hours. When they came back, they found that the tool box had been broken open and the flask was gone. Because of the value of the stolen item, this qualified as a major felony theft, and the police worked pretty hard at investigating it -- but never made an arrest.

What got us all talking around the newsroom, though, was the "story behind the story." There were two working theories as to what lay behind this theft:

1) The men had been trailed across Nebraska by an organized gang of bull-semen thieves, who knew exactly what they had in the truck and bagged it as soon as the chance arose. Pre-natal cattle rustling, you might call it.

This didn't seem very likely, leading to the other theory:

2) It was simply an "opportunistic theft" by some bozos who had been cruising through parking lots looking to break into pickup-truck toolboxes (common crime in our town.) Once they got into this one, not finding any tools, they just grabbed the only thing in it -- the flask -- probably figuring that it was an ordinary Thermos.

The appealing thing about this theory was the thought that when the thieves stopped a few miles down the road for a coffee break, they got exactly what they deserved...

...anyway, the moral of this story is that people will steal anything. Keeping your camera gear in a cooler probably is a good idea just for insulation, but I'd still say lock it up out of sight.

Old 11-24-2005   #9
back alley
IMAGES

i use a cooler in the trunk during our 2 weeks of hot summertime temps up here.
i like my film chilled not melted.

but i never leave anything i don't want stolen in the car. i carry it with me, even into a corner store for milk.

joe

Old 11-24-2005   #10
yankeedoll

If I only have one with me, usually the 35RC, I will take it into any store or restaurant with me. I will not leave any valuables in my vehicle, ever. However, if I take them with me I get some really strange looks & people tend to look very worried. I almost expect security to arrive at any moment.

Does anyone else get any strange or negative reactions from the public when taking their cameras into such places?

Doll

Live well; love much; laugh often.

Old 11-24-2005   #11
egpj
50 Summilux is da DEVIL!

I always take my cameras with me. Usually I have my Billingham L2 Alice with 2 bodies (w/lenses mounted) and then two AVEA pockets that have two separate lenses. When in the states I never leave anything in the car just because of all the stories I have heard about people stealing gear out of cars. When in places like Colombia the security guards at the entrances to places like malls and such always checkin the bag. As long as I do not have a bomb in the bag they wave me in no problem.

Photographers work I am interested in: Jon Kral; HCB the portraits
Equipment I am using: 2 MP's an MP3 and some lenses

Gallery

My Homepage

Old 11-24-2005   #12
CleverName

I've used insulated lunch bags for camera gear and they work great.
I never leave anything in the car that I don't want stolen. I don't even lock my car doors, hopefully the thief will try the door before smashing the window.

I've had a few odd reactions when carrying a camera around. Usually it's a cool old camera and most people assume I'm a professional and I know what I'm doing. Ha ha, joke's on them

Old 11-24-2005   #13
Kin Lau

I just use a knapsack, but I do occasionally walk into a store/coffee shop with a 400mm + dslr off my shoulder. The RF's are tiny by comparison... I'll have to see what kind of reaction I'll get with the Speed Graphics .

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=583'>My Gallery</a>

Old 11-24-2005   #14
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

In your car's trunk an army surplus .50 caliber ammo
can is waterproof and protects against crushing.

A small padded camera bag will fit nicely inside, too.

"Excelsior, you fathead!"
-Chris-

Old 11-24-2005   #15
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

Yes, 'replica' Billingham bags.

I just went out for coffee and saw a few guys who work cleaning up the motorway, with their lunch bags. Perfectly normal for a guy to be carrying and nothing of any real value inside.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward