Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2006   #81
IGMeanwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim
The Canon has a self timer...I don't have to worry about that.
Duh... forgot to look at your signature... the Canonet 28

well there that is

Yashica Electro 35 GS

Polaroid Model 250

Olympus 35rc (nonfunctional )

Old 02-03-2006   #82
back alley
IMAGES

'BTW: Perhaps this could be the start of RFF's third book? Self-portraits...clothing optional!'

awright!
where's my banana??

Old 02-03-2006   #83
peterc
Heretic

See if you can find one of those timers that screw into the shutter release. Some of them were capable of up to about 20 seconds ... less hectic running about to get back in front of the camera.
Like this one on the evil auction site 7586334443

Peter

"If you understand what photographic materials can do, you can learn to form a mental image of the finished photograph before you actually trip the shutter." -- David R. Young
My Gallery
My 10 faves + 2

Last edited by peterc : 02-03-2006 at 18:15.

Old 02-03-2006   #84
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley
'BTW: Perhaps this could be the start of RFF's third book? Self-portraits...clothing optional!'

awright!
where's my banana??

do I even want to know to what you are refferring here? i think my blood sugar must be running low...i'm gonna go eat something. I hope it stays down

Old 02-03-2006   #85
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Nah...I'm going to try and find a shutter release on Ebay. I have some time before I do this...I want to wait to do this until I get done with the street level project, as I said. That one won't be done until the beginning of March.

I had a baby girl on December 6, 2007. Yay motherhood!

One camera. Two lenses. Three shots per week.

2008 Street Photography Project

Old 02-03-2006   #86
peterc
Heretic

Peter

"If you understand what photographic materials can do, you can learn to form a mental image of the finished photograph before you actually trip the shutter." -- David R. Young
My Gallery
My 10 faves + 2

Old 02-03-2006   #87
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley

awright!
where's my banana??

In all seriousness, I want to take something that I feel is good enough for the book...however, none of these shots will probably be it.

Old 02-03-2006   #88
amateriat
We're all light!

To all the largely-good and reasoned advice here, I'll add this: you know the old saw about how, as we grow older, we tend to regret more the things we chose not to do than those we went ahead with (for better or worse)? I say, go ahead with the idea, but sit on the results for a while - don't be too anxious to get the stuff "out there" for any particular urgent reason (I know about being a buck short - still happens on occasion). Good work, among other things, doesn't have a "sell-by" date (at least not a firm one), so don't rush yourself. I can also go on about how this is an exercise in revealing more than just the obvious, but I'm sure you grok that already.

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 02-03-2006   #89
Brian Sweeney

Well my Digital camera does an easy conversion to B&W. Light hits the CCD. No RGB filter, no IR filter. Built in SCSI drive.

Infrared. They would be hot.

Old 02-03-2006   #90
raid
Dad Photographer

Stephanie,
Think about the whole issue some more.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-03-2006   #91
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

I think that thinking about it for two years is plenty long enough. The real question wasn't whether I should do it or not but rather whether I should post the results here. I don't know if I will or not yet. The shots will be done on a rangefinder, though.

Old 02-03-2006   #92
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

Being an old guy, I've earned the right to sound like one. I had a lot of adventures in my twenties that I was "completely comfortable with" at the time. Now, a few decades and a few miles later, with daughters and granddaughters of my own, no way am I even comfortable thinking about those adventures. So continue giving it serious thought, as you obviously have been doing. Make sure it's something you can be "completely comfortable with" for a long, long time... and something that those who are dear to you (and those who will be dear to you) can be completely comfortable with for a long, long time. As mentioned, models etc. can be found and there are other options that would allow you to enjoy this art form.

Old 02-03-2006   #93
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
I think that thinking about it for two years is plenty long enough. The real question wasn't whether I should do it or not but rather whether I should post the results here. I don't know if I will or not yet. The shots will be done on a rangefinder, though.
I agree with you that doing it or not doing it is different from posting the results online or not. I can see your love for rangefinder photography. It caught me only many years after I had started photography. Now I am hooked too.

Old 02-03-2006   #94
ch1

Last night I went to see a hit musical on Broadway: "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee"

One of characters had this line which is appropriate to this whole idea:

If you take the letter "W" from the word "answer"

and the letter "H" from the word "ghost"

and the first letter "A" in "aardvark"

together with the letter "T" in the word "listen"...

You will spell a word that everyone will ask but no one will hear:

WHAT?

As in, WHAT? is this all about, Stephanie?

And BTW, I'm certainly not going to do it (I don't even know how to do so) - but someone or more are going to link this thread onto other sites!

Old 02-03-2006   #95
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

It's about me doing some portraits/abstracts that just happen to have nude me in them. That's what it's about. Nothing more, nothing less. I may or may not post the shots here for comment. My main concerns now are lighting and which film to use.

Old 02-03-2006   #96
kmack
do your job, then let go

I am a 51 year old white guy who is ... oh lets say mumble mumble pounds overweight and I am thinking of doing nude self portraits. I'd been thinking of doing something like this for quite some time. I love nudes. They're one of my favorite kinds of photography. They rank up there with street photography and candid portraiture as top contenders for what kind of photography I'm actually interested in purchasing.

There... that ought to kill this thread.

Interesting project Steph, not for me though. I would be interested in how you solve some of the technical challenges. Lighting will be an interesting challenge. I used to do some stage lighting in the distant past and I would suggest a using some kind of model and mark your lighting spots based on the model and then hit the marks. We would mark the floor with tape once the actors blocking was completed and then had someone stand on the marks while we focused and and filtered.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2006   #97
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

You know, the ideal place to do something like this would be outside on a sunny day, but I don't have a place that I could. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get natural lighting...I also want the lighting to be very soft.

Old 02-03-2006   #98
amateriat
We're all light!

On the subject of lighting, I think you might want to seek out a space with lots of natural light. That would leave you with one less element to hassle about with, and I think you'd be a bit more at ease being wrapped in light as opposed to having it beamed straight at you. Of course, it depends on the pictures residing in your mind's eye at the moment, but I think it's an option to consider.

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 02-03-2006   #99
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Do the shots if you want, use natural light if you can or just lamps of any kind with B&W film.
Do some artistic shadows and body shape shots. Sure you could find some examples on Photonet. As to what you do with them, take your time on that. I doubt you will get what you want out of the first roll anyway, self portraits are very hard to do.
Rob

Old 02-03-2006   #100
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

I want very soft light. I'm wanting to play a lot with shadows, but I really want very soft, natural light for most things. I'll see what I can do.

Old 02-03-2006   #101
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Steph, my roommate had done a lot of self portrait nudes, mostly because no one else would pose for him! but aside from that, they turned out great, he had really dark and moody lighting which added lots of definition.

anyways.

all the responses here really are correct. this has to be something you do for yourself steph, obviously you are not bashful ( which is great for a photographer ). Naturally the pessimistic will see only the negative side of this matter, the risks, etc, etc.

but, i think what they fail to see is that you said this is something you have thought seriously about for the last 2 years. and i agree, if you know this is something you want to do. then by all means, do it. art is about self-expression, who says there has to be rules?

i encourage you to do what feels right to you, and if you post them on here, that is entirely up to you, and shouldn't be swayed by us. ( especially stupid young 20 year olds like me ) .

oh, and just a side note,

a lot of photographers that do self portraits often have their cable release showing, its almost like a statement. that is. IMO.

but there are always ways of hiding them. and the bulb release that RJ showed is definately what you would want to use, because it is easy to manipulate, ,be it with a hand, or a foot, or sitting on it, or someting of the like! haha.

the options are limited only by your mind, and your drive for creativity.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 02-03-2006   #102
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

Quote:
It's about me doing some portraits/abstracts that just happen to have nude me in them. That's what it's about. Nothing more, nothing less. I may or may not post the shots here for comment. My main concerns now are lighting and which film to use.

and whether the membership here would be interested in buying them so that you might avoid getting another job and get out of debt.

I think for many here, it was those parts which triggered warning bells. what you wrote above and what you wrote originally are two very different things, and will elicit two very different responses, IMHO. If you had merely asked a question regarding the technical nature of accomplishing your new project you would not have stirred up nearly the hornets nest of activity you did.

If it is now merely about self-portraiture and the technical aspects of capturing oneself nude on film, might I suggest you delete this acrimonyous thread and begin anew? It might be better for everyone.

Old 02-03-2006   #103
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

The buying them thing was for if I do decide to sell prints. I probably won't.

I'm not going to change the original post, but that wasn't my intention and you guys should know better than to think that would be my intention.

Old 02-03-2006   #104
IGMeanwell

If getting natural light is a huge problem .... and this goes for portraits in general

I own 3 clamp lights I got for 10 bucks each from the local hardware store and put 100w natural spectrum light bulbs in them (about 5 bucks for four)

with three you can position them however you like and get total light on the subject or background light... or play with shadows all you like

they are a cheap and easy solution, its my personal way of not having to use flash

Yashica Electro 35 GS

Polaroid Model 250

Olympus 35rc (nonfunctional )

Old 02-03-2006   #105
back alley
IMAGES

the original questions...

would anyone actually buy something like this?

yes, many people, man & woman, would buy nudes, any kind of nudes for all kinds of reasons.

Would it be weird for you?

for me? not at all.
i like looking at nudes.
but then, i'm an old man and i doubt there is much left out there that would make me feel 'weird' just looking at it.

joe

Old 02-03-2006   #106
amateriat
We're all light!

Hmm...interesting synchronicity of posts, Steph...

"Print 'em both, kid." -

Here, a Gallery.

Old 02-03-2006   #107
FrankS

I think everyone should have nude pictures of themselves done in their adult prime. After the prime has passed, that option is no longer available and you will never again look like that. The next best option is to have nude portraits of yourself at this moment in time. The question of whether to make those pictures public or to sell them, is something else entirely.

photography makes me happy

Old 02-03-2006   #108
raid
Dad Photographer

Frank: I agree with you. If I would take nude slef-portraits of my self, the film would most likely complain and self-destruct.

Old 02-03-2006   #109
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

That's what I think, Frank. I'm afraid that if I don't do it now I'll lose the ability to do so later. It'll be a fun experiment in sexuality for me.

Nudes are really only the first step for me. I want to get a model at some point and try out my hand at a few Japanese rope tricks...if you've seen Beauty Bound shots by Midori you'll know what I'm talking about. I feel that if I am not willing to get in front of a camera nude that I couldn't ask a model to do it for me...so me first and then the model.

I don't think this is something that I would be ashamed to tell my children/grandchildren about. I've always had an open mind and this situation is no different to me. I'll most likely keep the shots for the rest of my life. I'm not ashamed of my body and I wouldn't be ashamed to tell *anyone* that I did this. The more conservative members of my family may flip out, but they'll come around in the end after I explain (perhaps 5 or 6 times) about the artistic drive behind the photos.

Old 02-03-2006   #110
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
I think everyone should have nude pictures of themselves done in their adult prime. After the prime has passed, that option is no longer available and you will never again look like that. The next best option is to have nude portraits of yourself at this moment in time. The question of whether to make those pictures public or to sell them, is something else entirely.
Sorry Frank, have to disagree.

What was that "nude" calendar the late middle-aged women in small town in England did a few years ago to raise money for charity?

It sold like hot cakes!

The whole rationale was: Why should we be ashamed of our bodies at any age?

Old 02-03-2006   #111
blakley
blakley

To try to answer some questions you've asked rather than giving unsolicited advice, Stephanie:

1. My favorite film for portraits in B&W is Delta 100. It has beautifully fine grain and really nice tonality, though it's a little finicky to develop. I'd recommend trying it out on a less important subject first to see how it handles. I think it's best in ID-11.

2. The last thing you want for this material is "normal" natural light. When I do portraits I like directional light with strong shadows. My second choice is high-key. I bet you'll like either of these better than diffuse outdoor light for what you're trying to do.

3. The suggestion of a full-length mirror is one you'll kick yourself if you don't heed.

4. Continuous lighting is going to be essential for this if you can't use natural light. Since
you can presumably hold a pose, you can use quite dim lights, and since you're shooting B&W color temperature doesn't matter. Therefore, get a few mechanic's lights with clamps and 100W bulbs, and you can clip them to furniture instead of using light stands.

5. The self-timer release sounds like a good idea, but it isn't, because you'll be rushing to get into poses & they'll look unnatural. Use the cable release & get over it. Paint it black and put it in a shadow area - that's what shadows are for.

6. Regarding whether you should do this or not, it's a silly question. Whether you should show the results or not is not a silly question, but it will be much easier to answer with prints in hand.

Old 02-03-2006   #112
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid amin
Frank: I agree with you. If I would take nude slef-portraits of my self, the film would most likely complain and self-destruct.
Ah, Raid, have you seen the Travis-ties at some other site? Overblown highlights, super-contrast, all flash and only given life by a title? Nudes need not be defined by age, my friend.

They are, however, driven by it.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 02-03-2006   #113
RJBender
RFF Sponsoring Member

Quote:
That's what I think, Frank. I'm afraid that if I don't do it now I'll lose the ability to do so later. It'll be a fun experiment in sexuality for me.

Nudes are really only the first step for me. I want to get a model at some point and try out my hand at a few Japanese rope tricks...if you've seen Beauty Bound shots by Midori you'll know what I'm talking about. I feel that if I am not willing to get in front of a camera nude that I couldn't ask a model to do it for me...so me first and then the model.

I don't think this is something that I would be ashamed to tell my children/grandchildren about. I've always had an open mind and this situation is no different to me. I'll most likely keep the shots for the rest of my life. I'm not ashamed of my body and I wouldn't be ashamed to tell *anyone* that I did this. The more conservative members of my family may flip out, but they'll come around in the end after I explain (perhaps 5 or 6 times) about the artistic drive behind the photos.
Oh, these are going to be erotic nudes with bondage and stuff?

R.J.

Old 02-03-2006   #114
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

Quote:
The buying them thing was for if I do decide to sell prints. I probably won't.

I'm not going to change the original post, but that wasn't my intention and you guys should know better than to think that would be my intention.

sorry i missed it, just going by what you actually posted, rather than trying to assume something about you, who I don't know from Adam.

I'll repeat my best wishes, in case you missed them before, and retire for the evening.

Old 02-03-2006   #115
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

Quote:
I feel that if I am not willing to get in front of a camera nude that I couldn't ask a model to do it for me.
I'm not sure this makes sense logically. I can't cook worth a damn, but that doesn't stop me from eating.

Models are supposed to be good at modeling, and photographers are supposed to be good at photographing. There's some overlap in these two disciplines, but not necessarily a lot.

What I'm saying is, don't rule out the idea of working with a model, if only to practice ideas that you later want to execute on yourself.

Incidentally, this viewpoint has nothing to do with the fact that you're contemplating photographing nudes, or even self-portraiture in general.

Over the years I've spent a lot of time seeing modern-dance choreography, and one thing I've observed is that it's difficult for a choreographer -- even a talented choreographer -- to create a solo for him/herself. It's something that a lot of choreographers do, if only because it makes it a lot easier to schedule rehearsals!... but the fact is that choreographers seldom do their best work on themselves, at least not until they're very, very experienced. There's a perspective and detachment that comes from being able to sit back and look at the work that doesn't happen when you're also in the work.

Old 02-03-2006   #116
Byuphoto
Would like to upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVBLZ4
Being an old guy, I've earned the right to sound like one. I had a lot of adventures in my twenties that I was "completely comfortable with" at the time. Now, a few decades and a few miles later, with daughters and granddaughters of my own, no way am I even comfortable thinking about those adventures. So continue giving it serious thought, as you obviously have been doing. Make sure it's something you can be "completely comfortable with" for a long, long time... and something that those who are dear to you (and those who will be dear to you) can be completely comfortable with for a long, long time. As mentioned, models etc. can be found and there are other options that would allow you to enjoy this art form.
I have to totally agree. In my mis-spent youth I di many stupid stunts the worst of which was getting 7 tattoos and one of a marijuana leaf. I am now 50 yrs old and can not remove my shirt in public. Now do not get me wrong I am not saying don't I am just saying this will have repercussions for the rest of your life. Even this post will be on the info hwy a long time.
As a studio photographer I can offer some advice. If you want nice soft natural light then a north facing window or open door and some homemade backgrounds and a home made white reflector will work very nicely. If you want lights then either the clamp on work lights with screw in bulbs or the much more powerfull and hotter halogen lights will work. Either one will require a diffuser stand in front of them because the heat buildup will burn a softbox. You could also use two hotshoe flashes. One on camera with difusser and one off camera for main light.
Here are two excellent links for cheap DIY lighting and lighting in general
http://www.reverso.com/url/result.as...rg/PhotoClass/
http://super.nova.org/DPR/#Index
Good luck in whatever you do

My Blog

Old 02-03-2006   #117
Huck Finn

116 posts on one thread in 24 hours has to be some kind of a record.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=352'>My Gallery</a>

Old 02-03-2006   #118
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakley
To try to answer some questions you've asked rather than giving unsolicited advice, Stephanie:

1. My favorite film for portraits in B&W is Delta 100. It has beautifully fine grain and really nice tonality, though it's a little finicky to develop. I'd recommend trying it out on a less important subject first to see how it handles. I think it's best in ID-11.

2. The last thing you want for this material is "normal" natural light. When I do portraits I like directional light with strong shadows. My second choice is high-key. I bet you'll like either of these better than diffuse outdoor light for what you're trying to do.

3. The suggestion of a full-length mirror is one you'll kick yourself if you don't heed.

4. Continuous lighting is going to be essential for this if you can't use natural light. Since
you can presumably hold a pose, you can use quite dim lights, and since you're shooting B&W color temperature doesn't matter. Therefore, get a few mechanic's lights with clamps and 100W bulbs, and you can clip them to furniture instead of using light stands.

5. The self-timer release sounds like a good idea, but it isn't, because you'll be rushing to get into poses & they'll look unnatural. Use the cable release & get over it. Paint it black and put it in a shadow area - that's what shadows are for.

6. Regarding whether you should do this or not, it's a silly question. Whether you should show the results or not is not a silly question, but it will be much easier to answer with prints in hand.
I've used Delta 400 and liked it...I'll have to try 100. I was thinking of trying out a new developer for these shots and watching exposure and development times CAREFULLY. It won't be the same as using Diafine. I'm also planning on using some super slow films as well...experimentation is going to be the key here.

I want to play with using natural light in some, but since I do want to play around with highlights/shadows I will want to try some other lighting setups. And it's mechanics lights that we have plenty of around here. I can probably find some tungston (spelling tonight...not my strong suit) bulbs to put in them. 100 watt Reveal bulbs may not be a bad thing either.

I have a full length mirror and I'm going to enlist my boyfriend's help in doing this. He doesn't like the idea much right now, but he's gradually warming up to the whole thing. I just have to keep reminding him that it's about art.

I'll be finding a self timer with a bulb as soon as I possibly can. I think that it may help with my current project as well as this one and future projects.

Old 02-03-2006   #119
dostacos
Dan

Quote:
Rusty sporks work better for that sort of thing anyway. *runs*
well little missy do you know WHERE sporks came from and why?

I would suggest getting a book or two on the subject [lighting nudes, not where sporks come from] and I bet you can find a model or two that would be willing to pose for a portfolio. Why models you ask, PRACTICE, once you are happy with the settings, lighting etc THEN add the additional issue of adding yourown fine self. one less issue to deal with.

remember my opinion AND 89cents gets you a large coffee at 7/11 if ya bring your own cup

Old 02-03-2006   #120
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Oh, and I didn't say that this was going to be *good* photography. It's more of an experiment than anything. The photos may suck. But I think that I'll be more comfortable with the whole idea of shooting nudes if I shoot myself first. Don't as me why...couldn't really tell you.

Closed Thread