Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Photographic Magazine
Old 02-06-2006   #1
Tom Harrell

Photographic Magazine

Hello to all,

I am looking for the name of a good photographic magazine that I can subscribe to. A magazine for rangefinders would be good. Also does one exist that is strictly devoted to classic cameras?

Thanks,
Tom Harrell

Old 02-06-2006   #2
Andy K
-

In the UK we have Black and White Photography magazine. It has contributions from large format users, medium format, 35mm and digital users. I like it partly because there is more content than there are ads but mostly because it covers in the majority traditional film photography. I think there is a Black and White magazine in the US too, but I haven't read that.

Last edited by Andy K : 02-06-2006 at 02:19.

Old 02-06-2006   #3
Iyidin_Kyeimo

I'd second that, an excellent magazine!!

Old 02-06-2006   #4
nksyoon

Amateur Photographer in the UK has regular fairly detailed features on classic cameras. Also has lots of classifieds from UK shops selling classic cameras.

My Website
My Blurb Books

Old 02-06-2006   #5
Frank Granovski

This magazine is available at most large news stands in Canada. I assume it's also available in the US. Yes, it's one of the best photo mags on the market, in my opinion.

Old 02-06-2006   #6
Richard Black

I bought mine at Hastings, a Movie, CD, Mag store. I've seen them at large bookstores like Borders or others. I finally subscribed.

Old 02-06-2006   #7
TimF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Harrell
Hello to all,

I am looking for the name of a good photographic magazine that I can subscribe to. A magazine for rangefinders would be good. Also does one exist that is strictly devoted to classic cameras?
There was (still is probably) an Italian magazine devoted to Classic Cameras, called surprisingly enough - Classic Camera. Unfortunately its not available in english anymore.

I don't think any magazine devoted to rangefinders exists - unless you wish to count LFI.

What kind of mag are you looking for? One devoted to photography, one devoted to techniques, or one which covers all?

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1917'>My Gallery</a>

Old 02-06-2006   #8
Tom Harrell

Thanks for the responses! Tim, I suppose that I am looking for a mag to cover them all! Techniques, photography and perhaps an article or two about a particular classic camera.

The one that I currently subscribe to has turned more and more bazar over the years. The format of it doesn't even look like the same magazine. I plan on dumping them when I find the kind of magazine I am looking for. I have subscribed to this magazine for probably somewhere around 25 years.

Tom

Old 02-06-2006   #9
RML
Just live it.

I made a small overview of magazines out there: http://shardsofphotography.blogspot....magazines.html . Maybe it's of some use.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 02-06-2006   #10
RML
Just live it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ-
RML- wow. Your star ratings are the same as mine for these. Coincidence of taste or opinion..
I guess so.

Quote:
You've not included 'Reportages sans frontieres' - if you don't know it, it's worth tracking down too.
Never heard of that magazine, really. How is it? Any good? Tell me a bit more if you want. The one magazine that has left quite an impression with me is Juxtapoz. That is one great mag. Very cutting edge when it comes to contemporary but not (yet) mainstream museum/gallery-type art. More the underground kind. But I'm not yet ready to go "underground". I've only just begun to get in touch with Surrealism, Cubism and Bauhaus. I'm about 90 years behind.

Quote:
Nice blog too.
Thanks!

Old 02-06-2006   #11
TimF

RML's selection is pretty close to my thoughts as well - though I'm not familiar with all the titles.

FWIW, my own ratings of the mags I know would be as follows.

Five Stars
Ag
8 Photojournalism
LensWork

Four Stars
Black & White Photography (UK)
View Camera
Reporters sans frontieres (agree this is excellent - the latest issue I've seen is devoted to Charbonnier)

Three Stars
Amateur Photographer (despite some failings, it is IMHO by far the best general mag in the UK)
British Journal of Photography (a mag aimed at pros, now mostly digital - not as good as it used to be IMHO)
Outdoor Photography (UK - same stable as B&W above. Again, increasingly digitally oriented, regrettably. I'm currently considering whether to end my sub)
f2 Freelance+Digital (formerly Freelance Photographer - aimed at freelance pros, as the old name suggests. Occasionally has some useful bits for the general reader. Only available through subscription)
Professional Photographer (does what it says on the tin. Slight leaning towards the wedding pro sector)
LFI

Two Stars
Practical Photography (UK mag aimed at amateurs - we all know this kind of mag. Tends to recycle the same - thinnish - material year-in year-out IMHO)
Photography Monthly (ditto, but inferior IMHO)

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1917'>My Gallery</a>

Old 02-06-2006   #12
RML
Just live it.

RJ, IIRC Juxtapoz is, quite unexpectedly, a US publication.

Thanks for clarifying RSF! I've gotta keep my eye open for that mag.

Tim, thanks for the suggestions! More eyes to keep open....

Old 02-06-2006   #13
TimF

RML - just for you ........http://www.rsf.org/

Old 02-07-2006   #14
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

try this one, you cant find it on the newstand. It usually covers a couple older cameras per issue.
back issues are available if you want something with a specific camera. Good articles. Not much on pictures tho..
http://www.camera-shopper.com/

Old 02-07-2006   #15
allthumbs

In the US, I have seen Black and White Photographer at Barnes and Noble and Tower Records, and it may be at other places as well.

It's a bit steep for us here ($10/issue, $82/yr) and I generally don't read magazines, but the January issue compelled me to pick it up. It's a lot like poking around RFF on a good evening. Some wonderful portfolios and profiles, readers' photos, a review of push developers, an interesting experiment in printmaking, a page on the old Kino Exacta, a review of the new Tortuga pinhole camera, and one of my favorite photo writers Mike Johnston has a column. These were all things I wanted to take home with me, so I did. I might even get something out of the other articles.

Old 02-08-2006   #16
Tom Harrell

Thanks for all the suggestions on the mags. I'll get out to Barnes and Noble this weekend and see what they have. The 20th of this month I'll be going through Frankfurt and I will check out their news stands to see what they have from Europe. In April I'll be going to the UK and may get a chance to check things out there.

Tom

Old 02-08-2006   #17
fgianni
Trainee Amateur

RML here is another magazine worth tracking out, maybe you can rate this one as well?

http://www.privatephotoreview.com/

Francesco (Ian) Gianni
E-MAIL:[email protected]

My Gallery (sort of)

Old 02-08-2006   #18
RML
Just live it.

I'm taking notes! One of these days I'll come out with a new *improved* overview.

Old 02-08-2006   #19
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

great thread! thanks guyz

By the way, some time ago i got a few issues of PHOTO, the canadian version, and they were excellent, rich in content. But this was more than 5 years ago. Anybody knows anything about its current status?

Old 02-08-2006   #20
Benjamin Marks

My 2 cents:

Lenswork
B&W (not the British publication, the one aimed at photography collecters).

I think that it is very important for photographers (amateur as well as professional) to constantly see as many new photographs as possible. Ultimately, I think it's exposure to excellent photographs and the vision of master image-makers that are the best learning tools. I no longer subscribe to any magazine which prints "reviews".

Good luck!

Ben Marks

Old 02-09-2006   #21
RML
Just live it.

I wrote _an update_ to my initial magazine overview. I've added a few more magazines, and added subscription price information as well.