Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Yashica RF

Yashica RF For all Yashica Rangefinder cameras, whether fixed lens or classic Leica Screw Mount !

Getting the best out of a GSN sans battery
Old 02-10-2006   #1
Gerardo

Getting the best out of a GSN sans battery

Without any battery (still on the process of ordering the adaptor), how can I make the most of my "crippled but still fighting" GSN? I am specially interested on work arounds that you use on different photographic situations.

Old 02-10-2006   #2
Frank Granovski

Why don't you get a 6v battery, a spring and then wrap something around the battery so it fits snugly? The adaptor is only a battery wrap for a good fit.

Old 02-10-2006   #3
dany_nyc

Frank G is right. You don't need an adaptor to use the battery. Just wrap a piece of thin cardboard around it and stuff the negative end with a ball of alumininum foil.

To use it without the battery, the shutter speed is 1/500, so adjust the aperture accordingly.

Old 02-10-2006   #4
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Get the six volt battery and a conical spring and wrap the battery in tape to center it.

Old 02-10-2006   #5
kaiyen
local man of mystery

But since you asked...

The shutter is stuck at 1/500. That's a bit fast for 400 speed film with sunny 16, but it's pretty close. So without the battery but loaded with 400 speed film, set it to perhaps f11 in bright sun at midday. f8 with slightly overcast, etc. That should get you through a lot of situations.

allan

Old 02-10-2006   #6
luketrash
Trying to find my range

Sunny 16 works just fine, but you're missing out on the Yashica's true calling, which is aperture priority, low light shots. The meters on mine seem to be really accurate. A modern 6v battery runs about 10 bucks at your local camera eporium. I bought a battery adapter on ebay for $3.00. It's made out of a 28 gauge shotgun shell with the primer knocked out and an aluminum rivet pushed through the hole. WAY worth the money and not as tacky as the spring trick.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdre...er-mx99QQhtZ-1

This is the guy that sells em. There is no way you could fabricate one yourself that cheap. You'd have to find a 28 gauge shotgun to shoot

Old 02-10-2006   #7
GeneW

I didn't know there was a default shutter speed if the battery is dead or missing. Is this also true of the 1st-gen Electro 35?

Gene

Old 02-10-2006   #8
Kin Lau

If you switch it over to "Flash", then it's 1/30 sec.

I use a 6V 28a with my GS and a twisted paper clip for a spacer, and it works fine.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=583'>My Gallery</a>

Old 02-10-2006   #9
b1bmsgt
Yeah, I still use film...

Unless I am mistaken, you only get 1/30th on the flash setting if there is a battery installed...

Russ

Not sure what a "POD" is? Check out:
The POD

Old 02-14-2006   #10
GeorgeFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1bmsgt
Unless I am mistaken, you only get 1/30th on the flash setting if there is a battery installed...

Russ
yes, same with B. without battery only 1/500th

Old 02-14-2006   #11
jan normandale
Film is the other way

GSN goodness. If you have electric issues that aren't battery related , then you are at the 1/500th and maybe sunny 16 or a light meter.

it's all about light

Old 02-15-2006   #12
jon_flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by luketrash
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdre...er-mx99QQhtZ-1

This is the guy that sells em. There is no way you could fabricate one yourself that cheap. You'd have to find a 28 gauge shotgun to shoot

I understand that Dick Cheney might be going into the 28 gauge adaptor business..........safer than hunting........

Old 02-15-2006   #13
luketrash
Trying to find my range

Hehe.. I think if he'd been using a 28 gauge, the guy'd be outta the hospital though. But 28 would be a good size for quail if you were quick

I've been shooting Tri-X 400 with Diafine. In which case, I have been setting the camera to 1000 iso. Most shots I take anymore are at 1/500th and at either f11 or f16. (and they're still overexposed)

Old 02-20-2006   #14
tedwhite

yashica_guy makes them, and he has a wonderful page. Mine is clear plastic of some sort and works perfectly after two years. I think if you just type in yashica_guy you'll get it. My GSN's metering system has never ceased to amaze me. My friend's M2, which costs a sobering amount of money compared to a GSN, is, in my opinion, not as easy to use as the GSN, but maybe it's because I'm used to it. I can aquire the "target" faster, focus easier, etc., and obviously unload/reload film faster. Plus I don't think the Summicron 50/2 is any better. There, I've definitely commited heresy.

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa....plus 10 Hail Marys.

Ted

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 02-20-2006   #15
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite
yashica_guy makes them, and he has a wonderful page. Mine is clear plastic of some sort and works perfectly after two years. I think if you just type in yashica_guy you'll get it. My GSN's metering system has never ceased to amaze me. My friend's M2, which costs a sobering amount of money compared to a GSN, is, in my opinion, not as easy to use as the GSN, but maybe it's because I'm used to it. I can aquire the "target" faster, focus easier, etc., and obviously unload/reload film faster. Plus I don't think the Summicron 50/2 is any better. There, I've definitely commited heresy.

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa....plus 10 Hail Marys.

Ted
Ted .. you Leica heretic. But the Church of Yashica will welcome you!

it's all about light

Old 02-20-2006   #16
tedwhite

When does the baptism occur? One hopes it isn't merely water...

rangefinder forum gallery