Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

lens fungus
Old 03-07-2006   #1
FrankS

lens fungus

Can anyone post a picture of lens fungus? I don't think I've ever seen it and I was wondering what it looks like. Much appreciated.

photography makes me happy

Old 03-07-2006   #2
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

I found this here:
http://herron.50megs.com/fungus.htm
From what I have seen it comes in at least 3 forms. one is a spiderweb type fungus, one is more in the form of random spots, one is an overall haze. I have had some that cleaned up nicely and a very few that had eaten into some lens coatings and would not clean up..

Old 03-07-2006   #3
Kim Coxon

I'm glad you found that link. Trying to photo the stuff is very difficult but I will try to get a picture os the "dangerous" stuff later.

Kim

Old 03-07-2006   #4
FrankS

Thanks Rob and Kim. I have a lens on which I can see some lacey stuff held at a certain angle to the light. It's not hazy at all.

Old 03-07-2006   #5
physiognomy
Confirmed RF addict...

Hey Frank,

I thought I had a better picture, but this one shows the 'spiderweb' type on a Rollieflex MX-EVS. This has been my only experience with fungus... The camera was described as 'clean & clear' (ever heard that one before?)... Apart from the 2mm chip out of the front element it looked like someone had at it with steel wool! The fungus was just the iceing on the cake! Needless to say I returned it asap & got my money back.

Peter

1938 - Contax II
1954 - Kiev II
1956 - Kiev 2a
1957 - Kiev 3a
1963 - Kiev 4

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Old 03-07-2006   #6
Kim Coxon

Hi Frank,
If it looks like single filaments, it should clean. If it looks not so much like a spiders web but more like an enlargement of a snowflake, you may have problems as this is the stuff that secrets hydroflouric acid which etches the glass. Whichever it is do not dry to "dry" clean it but use a fluid. Alcohol, Rosonol or lens cleaner can work but some suggest something a bit more potent to ensure it is killed.

Kim

Old 03-07-2006   #7
FrankS

It does look like the enlargement of a snowflake. It can be killed with peroxide and ammonia, right? The onbly downside is that damage that already has been done does not come undone, right?

Old 03-07-2006   #8
Kim Coxon

Hi Frank,
You won't know until you try it! I had a J8 that has been marked permanently but I have managed to clean others. Depending on the lens and the value, sometimes Flitz with a little bit of Naptha helps.

Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
It does look like the enlargement of a snowflake. It can be killed with peroxide and ammonia, right? The onbly downside is that damage that already has been done does not come undone, right?

Old 03-07-2006   #9
Kim Coxon

Could be another job for Arax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundman
If it has ate through the coating, it can't be undone. Well, short of a polish and recoat.

Old 03-07-2006   #10
pshinkaw
Trying to get it right

I 've successfully used Windex (amonnia versions) on lightly afflicted lenses.

-Paul