Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

QL17 GIII - using hearing aid battery properly?
Old 03-21-2006   #1
Jado

QL17 GIII - using hearing aid battery properly?

Hi, new user. I checked the Search function on just how to get a 1.4v, size 675 battery to fit snuggly into the too-large compartment of the Canonet and have it work. I've read about adding padding like foil or something. I wrapped one of the batteries in some aluminum foil and stuck it in there. It didn't work as I suspected it wouldn't. What am I doing wrong here? How does one add any kind of "padding" to the top and bottom without blocking off the contacts inside the battery compartment?

Also, after reading some older threads, I sent an email to a Neal guy on this forum who makes and sells adapters...? If anyone knows, do these make the output be 1.3v? What types of batteries do these adapters take? I'd wait for an email reply from him, but am also curious to see what others have to say on this.

Old 03-21-2006   #2
sircarl

There's a guy in England who makes 675 adapters and will sell/ship them worldwide. I just got one for my Canonet. He's at http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm

Rolleiflex 3.5F, Bronica SQ, Leica IIIf

Self-published book of street photography from Philadelphia's Italian Market, To Market, To Market, available at http://blur.by/1ieET5r

Old 03-21-2006   #3
john neal
fallor ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jado
.....Also, after reading some older threads, I sent an email to a Neal guy on this forum who makes and sells adapters...? If anyone knows, do these make the output be 1.3v? What types of batteries do these adapters take? I'd wait for an email reply from him, but am also curious to see what others have to say on this.

Hi, just sent you a PM but forgot to say that the adapter takes the readily available SR44 silver-oxide cell and reduces the voltage to 1.35v under load. I also think that mine is the only adapter that will light the battery test light on a GIII QL17 (the Cris one at $30 definitely does not).

Look forward to hearing from you.

John

Old 03-22-2006   #4
franceluxemburg
First name : J-B

I am also looking for informations on adapters for the now illegall px675 mercury cell.
If there is an adapter for SR44 or LR 44 that would be great, i presume silver oxyde is best?

It's for a REVUE 400SE with the 40mm f/1,7 of the minolta 7sII

Many thanks.

J-B

Old 03-22-2006   #5
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

J-B: See John Neal's post just above yours.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 03-22-2006   #6
Jado

Thanks for the help thus far, guys.

John Neal, I sent an email reply.

Old 03-22-2006   #7
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

John, does your adapter add the missing height to the battery? In some canonets the hearing aid battery will hold snugly but on some it will not as the battery needs to be thicker.

Old 03-22-2006   #8
john neal
fallor ergo sum

OK, here's what I can offer - an adapter that replaces the PX625 battery, it uses the case of a dead 625 and carries a silver oxide SR44 as the power source. As to specification, the adapter regulates the voltage to 1.35v on load and around 1.40v no-load. It will carry 200mA continuous current, with peak protection up to 4A instantaneous.

Physically, the diameter is correct for the 625, and height (or thickness, if you prefer) is generally within 0.001" (0.04mm), so it works in 99.99% of applications, including high-drain situations like the Nikon F and Gossen hand-held light meters.

I can also make adapters based on this one that will work in situations where the camera needs a PX1a, or the PX640 (original Canon QL17 and Minolta HiMatic F).

Pricing (includes UK postage) is 7.50 each for the 625 type and 10.00 each for the other two. International airmail is 1.50 extra for up to 5 adapters in one lot. I offer discounts if you send me dead 625 cells.

I am about to start a batch of adapters, and have some back orders, but should be able to ship around the 10th April.

I also offer a Yashica G adapter so that you can use a PX28A, 4LR44, etc in your G series body. These are made from high-impact ABS and are 2.00 each, plus postage.

Please PM if you are interested.

John

Old 03-22-2006   #9
outfitter

The extra height required to use a 675 battery in a QL17 can be made up of small washers or even a small nut (I get my wshers and nut from Radio Shack) applied to only one side - as best I recall the negative side but you can try it either way. The Canonet does not require the ring adapter that a px625A replacement would - I find the rings on the Wein cell are removalbe a re-useable on a Wal-Mart 675 battery.

Hard to beat a 675 battery; they are dirt cheap and work well.

Michael

Old 03-22-2006   #10
jon_flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jado
. I wrapped one of the batteries in some aluminum foil and stuck it in there. It didn't work as I suspected it wouldn't. What am I doing wrong here? How does one add any kind of "padding" to the top and bottom without blocking off the contacts inside the battery compartment?

You need to ball up the foil and put it on one side, not wrap it. I would think wrapping it would "short" it out." Of course it may be that the electronics in your camera are shot.

Old 03-22-2006   #11
Kat

I use zinc air hearing aid batteries. For padding I either get a strip of insulted wire (the kind for your appliances, cut into half) and wrap it around the circumference, or put on a #9 O-ring around the battery. For the extra space on top, I fold foil a few times over and just lay it on top of the battery.

Old 03-22-2006   #12
BrianShaw
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by john neal
I also think that mine is the only adapter that will light the battery test light on a GIII QL17 (the Cris one at $30 definitely does not).
Why is this true? Isn't 1.35V the same in all of these adapters?

Old 03-22-2006   #13
john neal
fallor ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw
Why is this true? Isn't 1.35V the same in all of these adapters?
The voltage will be near enough the same on all adapters, it's the current carrying capacity of the diode that matters - as G'man said.

The capacity of the Cris device is measured in micoamps (uA) as he uses a surface mount diode that is both tiny and unable to carry high currents. The diode in mine is measured in milliamps (mA), or 1000 times higher. The test circuit in a GIII QL17 needs to draw something over 150mA in order for the bulb to light - far higher than the Cris device can deliver. His adapter is very well made and will run the shutter OK, it just won't light the lamp.

John